Iraqi Elections successful

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Once again we witness a society where thousands of people have died to allow self choice in their government. One report I heard was 80% of eligible voters did. We cheer their good news and many believe the US lives lost were "worth it" to give them the opportunity to choose their own leaders. (Maybe they choose their equivalent of De Lay and Hillary)

Then we have local elections in this country, no threats of violence, no long travels, we make it as easy and convenient as possible, and 20% show up to vote.

If we think it is "worth" an American death to give others the opportunity to elect their government, should we then make the effort to vote in our own elections?

I think voting in national elections should be compulsory in the United States. Minimum $25 fine for failing to do so.

It’d be interesting to know how many of the opinionistas on this board cast ballots in every local, state and federal election.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:01 AM)
:crickets:

Only because the site was misbehaving for me last night when I saw Nuke had posted this.

I tried posting the response below but couldn't keep a connection.

---

Yes it does. And that is good news.

We know that the election was the easy part and actually having the Iraqis forge a government out of all of the sectarian turmoil is going to be the big challenge.

But I was as happy as anyone to see yesterdy proceed relatively smoothly.

Only because the site was misbehaving for me last night when I saw Nuke had posted this.

I tried posting the response below but couldn't keep a connection.

---

Yes it does.  And that is good news.

We know that the election was the easy part and actually having the Iraqis forge a government out of all of the sectarian turmoil is going to be the big challenge.

But I was as happy as anyone to see yesterdy proceed relatively smoothly.

John Burns of the New York Times was all over the news saying nice things, particularly about the Sunni participation.

Thing is, the insurgents basically promised beforehand that they wouldn’t try to kill people (that day) who went to the polls. Too bad we can’t order all Iraqi roads free of vehicular traffic 365 days a year.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I think voting in national elections should be compulsory in the United States.  Minimum $25 fine for failing to do so.

It’d be interesting to know how many of the opinionistas on this board cast ballots in every local, state and federal election.

Raises hand...

Even for the school board.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I think voting in national elections should be compulsory in the United States.  Minimum $25 fine for failing to do so.

Local elections generally are way more important then national ones.

I go... even if I don't vote for EVERY measure... ;)

Raises hand...

Even for the school board.

It’s corny I know, but I still always feel very proud and patriotic when I get the chance to do my civic duty and vote. Since the very first of these Iraqi elections, I couldn’t imagine what it takes to risk death in order to run for office or to vote. Those people must be busting with pride.

Local elections generally are way more important then national ones.

I go... even if I don't vote for EVERY measure... ;)

Philosophically, I’m against popular election of judges. So I usually refuse to vote for any of them unless I’m aware of a particular one who’s really qualified. In Chicago, no matter what their color or creed, they always seem to magically have Irish names anyway.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Philosophically, I’m against popular election of judges.  So I usually refuse to vote for any of them unless I’m aware of a particular one who’s really qualified.  In Chicago, no matter what their color or creed, they always seem to magically have Irish names anyway.

Interesting. I think I know why, but I'll ask anyway. Why are you opposed to that?

I have a hard time with that as well - because they really aren't in a position to be elected IMO. If they are elected, special interests (definitely at the local levels) get in the way. Also, if a popular figure gets arrested, their "electibility" can be hurt if they throw the book at someone. I think that is asinine, but I have seen it happen a lot.

Interesting.  I think I know why, but I'll ask anyway.  Why are you opposed to that?

I have a hard time with that as well - because they really aren't in a position to be elected IMO.  If they are elected, special interests (definitely at the local levels) get in the way.  Also, if a popular figure gets arrested, their "electibility" can be hurt if they throw the book at someone.  I think that is asinine, but I have seen it happen a lot.

Right. That is basically how I feel, too.

“Without fear or favor” I want judges to be concerned with applying the law, not with being politicians and running for election and re-election. They just end up beholding to special interests when they have to get down in the dirt with the rest of the traditional pols. Appointments for particular terms or even for life of judges by our elected representatives suits me just fine.

I’m even offended by the members of the US Supreme Court going around giving partisan, rabble-raising speeches. Time was when they put their robes on for the first time was sort of like entering a monastery, and you never heard them publicly giving their opinions on political issues until after they had left the court.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Philosophically, I’m against popular election of judges.  So I usually refuse to vote for any of them unless I’m aware of a particular one who’s really qualified.  In Chicago, no matter what their color or creed, they always seem to magically have Irish names anyway.

And what is wrong with an Irish name.

I vote in every single election, have knocked on doors, volunteered to be an election judge a few times. I have done my share.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 05:43 AM)

That only works if you make election day a holiday. There are enough people in this country who genuinely can't vote because their employers say that they must work, or they simply cannot afford to take the time off of work (even with a $25 fine), that this fine would be too harsh otherwise.

That only works if you make election day a holiday.  There are enough people in this country who genuinely can't vote because their employers say that they must work, or they simply cannot afford to take the time off of work (even with a $25 fine), that this fine would be too harsh otherwise.

Well, jeepers, I didn’t think I needed to give my entire platform, but……………….

Employers would be required to allow the hour or two required at the beginning or end of the work day or shift. If hourly workers wanted to be compensated for the time taken, they would have to present a ballot stub. But employers would have the right to grumble and lean on their employees to vote by mail or (coming up) online. In fact, for national elections, how hard would it be to set up central voting points where people work? I'm thinking as I go here.

So most people would be savvy enough just to opt to vote by absentee ballot and not have to worry about anything. I'm sure the other details could be ironed out to everyone's satisfaction.

I vote in every election I'm aware of.

There was a schoolboard election in my town last week. I got a sample ballot three days before the special election - and the polls were open 4-7. I work 12-9. I didn't even know of the election and I am involved in local politics. I didn't vote in that particular one.

But if I know about it, I vote on it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
That only works if you make election day a holiday.  There are enough people in this country who genuinely can't vote because their employers say that they must work, or they simply cannot afford to take the time off of work (even with a $25 fine), that this fine would be too harsh otherwise.

Texas has early voting in addition to absentee voting. For several weeks leading up to the election you can stop by and vote. I see the benefits and the possible problems with early voting. I've only used it twice, and both times I votes the last day of early incase of some last minute information.

I vote in every election, used to go to caucuses, even went on to the district convention after the caucus once. I've given time and money to candidates (in Minnesota, the state will rebate your campaign contribution of $50 or $100 or less, if you desire).

I almost missed the primary this year, but as I left my house to run errands, I noticed a piece of campaign lit in my mailbox. Too bad for the guy who sent me that, though. He reminded me to go and vote for his opponent!

EDIT: Back on topic. I'm extremely happy for the Iraqi people. I, too, am always proud to vote. I hope the leaders who were elected Thursday are high-minded enough to be inclusive and not pander to their respective bases.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

Small update:

Suspected polling violations on voting day last week far exceeded the number in Iraq's first election in January, local and international monitors said yesterday.

On the deadline for filing complaints, the number of alleged violations which could swing results in the 275-seat parliament was "well into double figures", an accredited international election observer, who wished to remain anonymous, said.

In January there were only five of these "red" complaints, the observer added. Red complaints are alleged breaches serious enough to potentially hand a seat to a party or election bloc unfairly. The election commission has declined to say how many such complaints it has received, but several parties handed in dossiers listing breaches allegedly seen by their monitors.

Secular Arab parties have accused the Shia religious bloc, which dominates the current government, of intimidating voters in Baghdad and many southern cities.

The Iraqi National List, headed by the former prime minister Ayad Allawi, filed more than 60 complaints yesterday. They alleged that at several polling stations policemen, national guard troops, or men from the major crimes unit were chanting for the Shia religious list, known as 555.

At the Sharqia high school in central Baghdad, which was used as a polling station, a senior election official was said to have asked voters if they were going to vote for 555. Unless they said yes, they were not given ballot papers.

A source close to Mr Allawi's campaign said that in one Baghdad polling station "around 600 men, some with walkie-talkies and purple ink on their fingers showing they had already voted, forced their way in. When the manager tried to stop them asking for ballot papers, they threatened to put him in a car boot and drive him away ... He let them in."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)

If you wouldn't cry "Wolf" at everything that can possibly be twisted to make Bush look bad, I'd be inclined to give some of posts more merit and actually read them in there entirety instead instead of dismissing them as more political rhetoric. There are times when my mind can be changed and I do try and step back and see both sides of the issues, But, when someone ALWAYS is slinging s***, I just duck and get out of the way.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
If you wouldn't cry "Wolf" at everything that can possibly be twisted to make Bush look bad, I'd be inclined to give some of posts more merit and actually read them in there entirety instead  instead of dismissing them as more political rhetoric.  There are times when my mind can be changed and I do try and step back and see both sides of the issues,  But, when someone ALWAYS is slinging s***, I just duck and get out of the way.

Sorry man, sometimes I like to post things that fit in with a topic which haven't yet been confirmed just to see where the story leads. When I do that, I usually don't comment on things at all myself. That's all I was trying to do on that one, just posting it so that people could see where a story might be heading.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Sorry man, sometimes I like to post things that fit in with a topic which haven't yet been confirmed just to see where the story leads.  When I do that, I usually don't comment on things at all myself.  That's all I was trying to do on that one, just posting it so that people could see where a story might be heading.

My post wasn't inspired by this one instance. I don't mean this as criticism of you but more along the lines of friendly advice. I think, from my point of view, the "Cry Wolf" comment fits what I'm trying to say.

Random silliness from Iraq regarding the Dick Cheney visit

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/252583_cheney19.html

His next visit was to Taji Air Base, where he saw tanks that Iraqis had rebuilt and watched while they practiced a vehicle sweep at a security checkpoint.

U.S. forces guarded Cheney with weapons at the ready while Iraqi soldiers, who had no weapons, held their arms out as if they were carrying imaginary guns.

It just made me laugh.