Iraqi Elections successful

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(juddling @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
It seems the minority parties in Iraq have learned something from America:  when the election results don't go your way, claim fraud, harrassment, etc.

I doubt the Iraqi's have figured out fraud and harrassment this early in their democracy

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
You'll know they're up to speed when they start having dead people voting.

:D

Actually each dead person may vote 73 times. Once for himself and also for the 72 virgins

Ok, now I think we're approaching the point where we really need to be concerned about these people. Not necessarily because they're right, but moreso because they may have enough power to really disrupt the process over there if they're not listened to.

Iraq's Sunni Arab and secular parties threatened on Wednesday to boycott the new parliament after alleging massive fraud in last week's election, ramping up pressure on the triumphant Shi'ite Islamists to share power.

Sunni rebels, whose informal truce helped push turnout to 70 percent as insurgents pitched for a voice in the new, full-term legislature, warned they would intensify attacks if the Shi'ite Alliance held on to the lion's share of power.

The Electoral Commission, which opposition groups demanded be dissolved accusing it of bias, rejected calls for a rerun of the vote, saying complaints were numerous but unlikely to affect the overall result -- a view held by U.S. and U.N. officials.

. . .

Representatives of secular Shi'ite former prime minister Iyad Allawi and two major Sunni Arab groups, the Islamist-led Iraqi Accordance Front and the secular Iraqi Unified Front, along with other groupings, met on Wednesday to coordinate.

"We all agreed to contest and reject the results of the election," said Allawi aide Thaer al-Naqib. "We want the Electoral Commission dissolved and the election rerun."

"We will take to the streets if necessary," he told Reuters. "We might even not take up our seats in the new parliament and so any new government would be illegitimate."

Flasoxx seems to be doing a self-chronicle in another thread, and I seem to be doing one here, but I continue to think This is important...

Large demonstrations broke out across the country Friday to denounce parliamentary elections that protesters say were rigged in favor of the main religious Shiite coalition....

Several hundred thousand people demonstrated after noon prayers in southern Baghdad Friday, many carrying banners decrying last week's elections. Many Iraqis outside the religious Shiite coalition allege that the elections were unfair to smaller Sunni Arab and secular Shiite groups.

"We refuse the cheating and forgery in the elections," one banner read.

During Friday prayers at Baghdad's Umm al-Qura mosque, the headquarters of the Association of Muslim Scholars, a major Sunni clerical group, Sheik Mahmoud al-Sumaidaei told followers they were "living a conspiracy built on lies and forgery."

"You have to be ready during these hard times and combat forgeries and lies for the sake of Islam," he said.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
And YAS is going to continue to ride you for it.  :P

Fight the Good Fight.

I'm not fighting any fight here, I'm just seriously worried about this...this is exactly the sort of thing which can encourage even more Sunnis to turn to violence...if they feel they turned out and should have won more than they did (many Sunnis in Iraq feel they are genuinely a majority in that country no matter what the real facts are) then that's even more motivation to turn to violence. Especially if old CIA guys like Allawi and Chalabi start encouraging the Meme to try to bring more power to their parties by breaking the religious Shia groups who dominate that country.