Patriot Act Renewal filibustered

Balta1701

Along with Several Republican Senators, the Democrats in the Senate were able to unite together strongly enough to completlely stop the proposed renewal of the Patriot Act's expiring provisions with a filibuster. The Cloture vote went 52-47, although Bill Frist voted against Cloture as a procedural move (it allows him to call the bill up for a vote again), so you should read it as the Republicans needing 7 more votes.

The Senate on Friday rejected attempts to reauthorize several provisions of the USA Patriot Act as infringing too much on Americans' privacy and liberty, dealing a huge defeat to the Bush administration and Republican leaders.

In a crucial vote early Friday, the bill's Senate supporters were not able to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a threatened filibuster by Sens. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, and Larry Craig, R-Idaho, and their allies. The final vote was 52-47.

President Bush, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Republicans congressional leaders had lobbied fiercely to make most of the expiring Patriot Act provisions permanent, and add new safeguards and expiration dates to the two most controversial parts: roving wiretaps and secret warrants for books, records and other items from businesses, hospitals and organizations such as libraries.

Feingold, Craig and other critics said that wasn't enough, and have called for the law to be extended in its present form so they can continue to try and add more civil liberties safeguards. But Bush, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Speaker Dennis Hastert have said they won't accept a short-term extension of the law.

It is also worth noting that there is a bipartisan Senate Agreement on renewing The Patriot Act which has already passed the Senate (unanimously I might add). However, the House was able to authorize the full version of the Act thanks to the larger Republican Majority there, so the bipartisan compromise bill is just sitting around hoping the Republicans will consider it. President Bush and the Republicans could have the Patriot Act renewed today, if they were even willing to consider bipartisanship or compromise at all.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Along with Several Republican Senators, the Democrats in the Senate were able to unite together strongly enough to completlely stop the proposed renewal of the Patriot Act's expiring provisions with a filibuster.  The Cloture vote went 52-47, although Bill Frist voted against Cloture as a procedural move (it allows him to call the bill up for a vote again), so you should read it as the Republicans needing 7 more votes.

It is also worth noting that there is a bipartisan Senate Agreement on renewing The Patriot Act which has already passed the Senate (unanimously I might add).  However, the House was able to authorize the full version of the Act thanks to the larger Republican Majority there, so the bipartisan compromise bill is just sitting around hoping the Republicans will consider it.  President Bush and the Republicans could have the Patriot Act renewed today, if they were even willing to consider bipartisanship or compromise at all.

Nothing to hide= nothing to worry about.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)

That is just an arrogant, stupid and irresponsible statement. As a citizen of the United States, don't I have the right to my privacy?

Furthermore, the news of our President authorized the NSA to spy on citizens within the US WITHOUT a warrant is very intriguing! Let's see how is this thing going to pan out?

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)

And government has never abused its power before...except for the Palmer Raids, Red Scare (McCarthyism), COINTELPRO and using the PATRIOT Act to sue adult film producers that have no ties to terrorism. Let's not forget that the Federal Intelligence Court of Appeals stated that the Patriot Act's seizure policies may not meet Fourth Amendment guidelines but they "almost certainly come close". We must be willing to distinguish between the necessary powers to catch terrorists and overkill that poses a threat to innocent citizens.

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Furthermore, the news of our President authorized the NSA to spy on citizens within the US WITHOUT a warrant is very intriguing!  Let's see how is this thing going to pan out?

Without a warrant and seemingly in direct contravention of the laws of the United States, which cannot be overturned by executive order.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
And government has never abused its power before...except for the Palmer Raids, Red Scare (McCarthyism), COINTELPRO and using the PATRIOT Act to sue adult film producers that have no ties to terrorism.  Let's not forget that the Federal Intelligence Court of Appeals stated that the Patriot Act's seizure policies may not meet Fourth Amendment guidelines but they "almost certainly come close". We must be willing to distinguish between the necessary powers to catch terrorists and overkill that poses a threat to innocent citizens.

As far as your ilk is concerned the more powerless law enforcement is the better.

Even though the current Patriot act is being filibustered they can still use all of its provisions in ongoing investigations and to investigate crimes committed before the 31st. So even if the law does expire the government can still use its provisions pretty much indefinitely.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
As far as your ilk is concerned the more powerless law enforcement is the better. 

Even though the current Patriot act is being filibustered they can still use all of its provisions in ongoing investigations and to investigate crimes committed before the 31st.  So even if the law does expire the government can still use its provisions pretty much indefinitely.

Nuke, do you really want the federal government to be as big as it has gotten and have this much power? Ronnie Reagan is rolling over in his grave.

for shame Nuke, for shame.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Nuke, do you really want the federal government to be as big as it has gotten and have this much power? Ronnie  Reagan is rolling over in his grave.

for shame Nuke, for shame.

Law enforcement needs all the tools it can get to catch these people. The more you de-claw the police the more criminals and terrorists run rampant. How many times do we need to get hit before we realize this?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Law enforcement needs all the tools it can get to catch these people.  The more you de-claw the police the more criminals and terrorists run rampant.  How many times do we need to get hit before we realize this?

The 4th Amendment is very important, I know we can agree upont that. For me, law enforcement has plenty of legal tools to stop terrorism and removal of the 4th should not be one of them.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Youre funny. The size of the federal government exploded during the 1980s.

first off i was joking, but i'm not sure if it was funny.

secondly, in the 80's most government growth was in foreign intelligence and military.

thirdly, rex does not kickass.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
first off i was joking, but i'm not sure if it was funny.

secondly, in the 80's most government growth was in foreign intelligence and military. 

thirdly, rex does not kickass.

Government growth is still government growth.

And think what you want about me. I do about you. Even though your name is Mr. Genius, I wouldn't exactly call you Mensa material.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Government growth is still government growth.

And think what you want about me. I do about you. Even though your name is Mr. Genius, I wouldn't exactly call you Mensa material.

how dare you make such personal attacks!

The constitution is the superior document and the 4th Amendment clearly says and I quote:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If we start allowing the government to trample the constitution then it will only be a matter of time until it is useless.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
The constitution is the superior document and the 4th Amendment clearly says and I quote:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

If we start allowing the government to trample the constitution then it will only be a matter of time until it is useless.

:notworthy

Ted Rall is an asshole.  That's all.

And so I can keep it somewhat "balanced", Ann Coulter is about the same on the other side of the spectrum.

Whew! Thanks for the penetrating, incisive, fact-filled analysis. :P

And I sure don’t see any need to keep things “balanced." I appreciate a carefully-crafted argument that can stand on its own.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Whew!  Thanks for the penetrating, incisive, fact-filled analysis. :P

And I sure don’t see any need to keep things “balanced."  I appreciate a carefully-crafted argument that can stand on its own.

You're right, I didn't add anything by saying that... other then the fact that I can't stand Ted Rall. He's a political hack asshole, and nothing more.

However, on the issue, Barons said it best. He's right on, so I don't have anything to add to that.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
You're right, I didn't add anything by saying that... other then the fact that I can't stand Ted Rall.  He's a political hack asshole, and nothing more.

On that, I think we're in complete agreement. I can't stand Rall either.