NFL

as i look at another boring monday night matchup I wonder... would the NFL make as much $$$ if they went pay-per-view?? I think NO... are there really enough households in green bay and baltimore willing to pay for this weeks match-up? the frisco-jax match-up i'm sure will have great ratings.. it's not just this week it seems for the past few years the late season primetime matchups have been complete dud's .... I just think it makes more sense to package the slop and let the networks swallow it... wondering what is the opinion in the sports bar??? how many pay-per-view games would you be buying this week???

The NFL would certainly not make more money if it went pay per view. Right now, and in fact since Fox stole the NFC, basically every network running the NFL is actually losing money on the NFL in terms of total amount of money they take in from commercials during the games. A lot of money. But the networks keep doing this on the grounds that it brings the network Prestige (i.e. what Fox was looking for when it grabbed the NFC) and more viewers for its other shows.

If the NFL went pay per view, I would buy the Super Bowl if that went there too, and that'd be it.

Furthermore, in the new Monday Night Football contracts that are coming up, the NFL has taken steps to fix the problem you cite - they're allowing the networks to reschedule a handfull of games and move them between Sunday afternoon and Monday Primetime after the season has started, so that the prime time games can follow interesting storylines or winning teams.

Is the NFL going pay-per-view or something? I'd just continue to go to the bar every Sunday like I do anyway (well when the Bears aren't on national tv in my area).

I spend 10 bucks, get to watch the Bears game with my buddies (and all the other games on other tv's in the bar) plus get a meal.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Pay TV worked so well for the White Sox in 1980.

All it would do is price more people out of the sport. Most people already can't afford to go to the games, if they can't afford to watch the games at home - why would you ever care?

See also the Chicago Blackhawks.