My Catholic family will be observing Chanukah, to

RibbieRubarb

My Son, Mikey, came to us a few days ago and asked us about Chanukah and why don't we celebrate it. (To give you some background, my son just turned 7 in December and is in the first grade.)

We explained that we are Catholic and we celebrate Christmas because it is Jesus' birthday. He understood that, he told us.

Mikey went to Catholic school for pre-school, but now he is in Public school for first grade in Downers Grove. He attends CCD once a week.

They were talking about the different holiday celebrations in class. Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza...etc. Something about Chanukah caught his imagination.

He liked that it was called the "Fesitval of Lights", that a Menorah looked pretty.

He asked us why we could celebrate both. He said a girl in his class is celebrating both.

So we agreed. Why not?

Mikey has always been very interested in different cultures and people. We felt no reason to stifle his natural curiosity.

So, on a small scale, we will be observing Chanukah this year. We have a Menorah(courtesy of a Jewish friend) to light and a dreidel to give Mikey. He is rather excited. I see nothing wrong in trying this for one year. The story of Chanukah is quite uplifting.

Any other advice from my Soxtalk friends on what we can do during this time?

Again, we're keeping this on a small scale...Christmas is expensive enough. :D

Edited by RibbieRubarb

This won't be the most popular answer:

OK, I can see why you'd encourage a child to be as educated an knowledgeable as possible about different people/cultures/religions/etc. But, by celebrating it, doesn't that cause some confusion in a young child? I mean, you raise him as a christian(if that's what you're doing) but then celebrate a holiday from a religion that does not endorse jesus' role as the son of god. If you're trying to keep him a christian, doesn't this weaken any teaching that being christian is the way to go? Not trying to be a jerk here, just curious as to where you're going with this.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
This won't be the most popular answer:

OK, I can see why you'd encourage a child to be as educated an knowledgeable as possible about different people/cultures/religions/etc.  But, by celebrating it, doesn't that cause some confusion in a young child?  I mean, you raise him as a christian(if that's what you're doing) but then celebrate a holiday from a religion that does not endorse jesus' role as the son of god.  If you're trying to keep him a christian, doesn't this weaken any teaching that being christian is the way to go?  Not trying to be a jerk here, just curious as to where you're going with this.

Can't they show him the different ways of celebration without compromising their personal beliefs..? :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Can't they show him the different ways of celebration without compromising their personal beliefs..?  :huh

Exactly Steff.

No where in the story of Chanukah does it compromise the role of Jesus. We are still celebrating his birth, then we are observing another gift from God that happened some 300-400 years before the birth of Jesus.

That's how we are approaching it.

Steff: Mrs. Ribbie says "Hi" right back at cha!

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Can't they show him the different ways of celebration without compromising their personal beliefs..?  :huh

Sure, and that's what I was trying to figure out. Was RR "celebrating" the holiday, and claiming to follow both faiths? Or was it more along the lines of "we do this, but other people have a different faith and holiday called this, and I'll show you how they celebrate it"

Chanukah is probably the least religious Jewish Holiday. It gets more play because it falls around Christmas. It's a very uplifting story, but isn't so much religious as it is a miracle.

If they were celebrating Easter and Passover...then, there might be a problem.

On a lighter note, I think it's great!!! We need more open-minded people out there to try new things. And as my grandfather used to say, if you don't like it, you don't have to ever do it again.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Exactly Steff.

No where in the story of Chanukah does it compromise the role of Jesus. We are still celebrating his birth, then we are observing another gift from God that happened some 300-400 years before the birth of Jesus.

That's how we are approaching it.

Steff: Mrs. Ribbie says "Hi" right back at cha!

Technically true, but then I still don't understand what the end result would be here. Are you saying that you believe that you can follow two different religions, by piecing them together and avoiding the parts where they would conflict? Again, I'm severely curious, that's all.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Technically true, but then I still don't understand what the end result would be here.  Are you saying that you believe that you can follow two different religions, by piecing them together and avoiding the parts where they would conflict?  Again, I'm severely curious, that's all.

We're not approaching it religiously at all.

He is just very curious about other cultures and we believe one good way to learn is to experience part of them.

All we will be doing is lighting the Menorah each night and maybe get him a few tiny things.

It's a nice story, too.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
and maybe get him a few tiny things.

Smart kid. :P On a sidenote I celebrate and get presents for both hanukah and christmas presents due to my parents being divorced and my dad being jewish. To be honest, I'm about the least religious person you'll ever meet so I have never even thought about what is being discussed in here.

Edited by Rowand44

Roses are reddish

Violets are blueish

If it wasn't for Jesus

We'd all be Jewish

What we did when our kids were younger was traced the roots of Christianity and "celebrated", to use that word, the similarities in the faiths. I remember the first time I was at the service for a Jewish friend who had passed away. As the readings began, I realized they were Old Testament. That more than anything woke me up to the common beliefs we share.

Remember the major difference is that Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah, Jews are still waiting. We share the Old Testament. Or to put another way, for most mainstream Christians, looking at Bibles, one would say, The Jewish is tooooooo short, and the Mormon is tooooooooo long, mine is juuuuust right. :)

Old Testament, Jews, Christians, Mormons

New Testament, Christians, Mormons

Book of Mormon, Mormons

So celebrate the roots, explore the differences, and expand the knowledge of the world. It can only help.

Maybe a Jewish friend could come over and discuss not being Christian during the biggest marketing push the planet has ever seen for Christians.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
Roses are reddish

Violets are blueish

If it wasn't for Jesus

We'd all be Jewish

What we did when our kids were younger was traced the roots of Christianity and "celebrated", to use that word, the similarities in the faiths. I remember the first time I was at the service for a Jewish friend who had passed away. As the readings began, I realized they were Old Testament. That more than anything woke me up to the common  beliefs we share.

Remember the major difference is that Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah, Jews are still waiting. We share the Old Testament. Or to put another way, for most mainstream Christians, looking at Bibles, one would say, The Jewish is tooooooo short, and the Mormon is tooooooooo long, mine is juuuuust right.  :)

Book of Mormon, Mormons

So celebrate the roots, explore the differences, and expand the knowledge of the world. It can only help.

Maybe a Jewish friend could come over and discuss not being Christian during the biggest marketing push the planet has ever seen for Christians.

To quote Homer:

" Whoa whoa whoa. I'm just trying to get in, I'm not running for Jesus"

:P

Seriously though, well said Tex.

There is no reason not explore and honor the similarities between the faiths than dwell on the differences.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
Roses are reddish

Violets are blueish

If it wasn't for Jesus

We'd all be Jewish

What we did when our kids were younger was traced the roots of Christianity and "celebrated", to use that word, the similarities in the faiths. I remember the first time I was at the service for a Jewish friend who had passed away. As the readings began, I realized they were Old Testament. That more than anything woke me up to the common  beliefs we share.

Remember the major difference is that Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah, Jews are still waiting. We share the Old Testament. Or to put another way, for most mainstream Christians, looking at Bibles, one would say, The Jewish is tooooooo short, and the Mormon is tooooooooo long, mine is juuuuust right.  :)

Book of Mormon, Mormons

Oh, Tex...of COURSE Jews bible (or Torah) is the Old Testament. Jews have been around for 5766 years. I can't believe you were surprised. :D

And c'mon, we all know the sequel is never as good as the original. Except for The Godfather II.