Cooper: Contreras will be fine

RockRaines

Cooper: Contreras will get by without Duque

December 16, 2005

BY JOE COWLEY

With news of the White Sox' trade of Orlando Hernandez to Arizona on Wednesday came concern that the departure of "El Duque'' would affect Sox starter and fellow Cuban Jose Contreras.

Sox pitching coach Don Cooper was quick to brush aside those concerns.

"El Duque was good for Jose, just like Cliff Politte was good for Neal Cotts,'' Cooper said Thursday. "What they had in common was they were countrymen that both went through a lot to get here. One took a boat, one took a plane.

"But Jose has come of age. Jose is a man. He's not a rookie. Looking at El Duque, it was just another comfort in company of a lot of support. I'm sure Jose is going to say something like, 'I'm sorry Duque is gone. He was a friend, he helped a lot, but I'm not back in the Atlantic with a life preserver on just coming here all over again.'''

Hernandez, who was like a big brother as well as a coach to Contreras, received a lot of credit for Contreras' turnaround with the Sox last season. On the trading block after posting a 4-5 record and 4.26 ERA at the All-Star break, Contreras, 34, went 11-2 with a 2.96 ERA in the second half and 3-1 with a 3.09 ERA in four postseason starts.

Hernandez was dealt to the Diamondbacks as part of a three-player package for pitcher Javier Vazquez.

Contreras credited Hernandez with his turnaround, saying Hernandez approached him one day in July and told him to start pitching "like a Cuban again.'' That meant changing arm angles and going after hitters more aggressively.

Contreras also credited Cooper and teammates Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle for advice and support.

"Jose Contreras deserves the credit,'' Cooper said. "He threw the pitches. Jose has the blueprint now. A lot has evolved here. He has the best of his future lying ahead. I'm sure the two will stay in contact. I'm not overly concerned about that.

"I do know that everybody was yelling for Jose's scalp in the first half of the season. Where was El Duque then? Jose exorcised a lot of demons.''

The acquisition of Vazquez has focused attention on the contract situations of Contreras and fellow starter Jon Garland. Both pitchers are due to be free agents after next season.

Cooper frequently talks to his pitchers during the offseason but said the topic of Garland's contract status does not come up when he speaks with the right-hander.

Garland, who is eligible for arbitration, turned down a three-year offer from the Sox two weeks ago.

Several sources said Garland's posturing did not sit well with the organization, which was one reason it acquired Vazquez.

"I don't go there,'' Cooper said of Garland's contract situation. "I call Jon to see how things are going. I want everyone back. That's not my area. My area is to coach the guys that are put under me. Do I have a soft spot in my heart for Garland? Sure, I do. I know what we went through with him.

"As much as I want Garland back, Buehrle back, Freddy back, there's things I don't get involved in. I would love for him to come to terms with the White Sox, but I don't follow money. I don't even know how many years we have guys for or how much we have them for. I just concentrate on who is on the staff. Contracts don't affect my job.''

Daily Southtown

Edited by RockRaines