Josh Stewart... HE GONE!!!

SSH2005

Marlins signed LHP Josh Stewart to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Stewart, who started seven games for the White Sox between 2003 and '04, should only be a candidate for bullpen duty on the Marlins. He had a 4.25 ERA in 11 starts and three relief appearances for Triple-A Charlotte last season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Until he took that line drive in chest, he was doing an acceptable job as a 5th starter.  Afterwards, he never could get back to that level.

If he didn't take that ball of the chest in '03 I really think that season would have gone completely differently. I honestly think we could be celebrating our second World Series if he hadn't. He was doing what you expected out of the fifth starter and keeping you in the game. And with Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle as the three headed monster of that staff we would have been tough as hell in the playoffs. Oh well, we have the trophy now so who really cares.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
If he didn't take that ball of the chest in '03 I really think that season would have gone completely differently.  I honestly think we could be celebrating our second World Series if he hadn't.  He was doing what you expected out of the fifth starter and keeping you in the game.  And with Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle as the three headed monster of that staff we would have been tough as hell in the playoffs.  Oh well, we have the trophy now so who really cares.

The chances of the White Sox winning the world series in 2003 rested on Josh Stewarts health? wow. I never thought he would have had that kind of impact.....

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
The chances of the White Sox winning the world series in 2003 rested on Josh Stewarts health?  wow.  I never thought he would have had that kind of impact.....

Well to get to the World Series you have to make the playffs. And with him in the 5 spot we probably would have . . . smartass

Since when was Josh Stewart a top pitching prospect? I have nothing against the guy, but a lot of you saw something that no one else really saw.

Could he have been a serviceable 5th starter, maybe, but he would never be anything more than that. He had lousy stuff and to top it off he didn't have pin-point control. Thats just not a good combination.

Nothing wrong with his work ethic though and it stunk he had to take that ball off his chest.

But man, where some of you guys got this idea that Stewart was going to be this great pitcher, well I'm miffed. Felix Diaz was a better prospect than Stewart (much better) and we know he'll never be a good 5th starter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Since when was Josh Stewart a top pitching prospect?  I have nothing against the guy, but a lot of you saw something that no one else really saw.

Could he have been a serviceable 5th starter, maybe, but he would never be anything more than that.  He had lousy stuff and to top it off he didn't have pin-point control.  Thats just not a good combination.

Nothing wrong with his work ethic though and it stunk he had to take that ball off his chest. 

But man, where some of you guys got this idea that Stewart was going to be this great pitcher, well I'm miffed.  Felix Diaz was a better prospect than Stewart (much better) and we know he'll never be a good 5th starter.

I don't think anybody suggested he could be anything more than a serviceable fifth starter. I know I didn't. It's been said around here countless times that with a serviceavle fifth starter we could have won the division in '03, so even that Stewart/WS remark wasn't a total stretch.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Until he took that line drive in chest, he was doing an acceptable job as a 5th starter.  Afterwards, he never could get back to that level.

yeah, that was ugly. I've seen guys take liners before, but that one looked a little extra nasty, like it really hit a bad spot, and with all the problems he had with his circulatory system it obviously did.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
yeah, that was ugly.  I've seen guys take liners before, but that one looked a little extra nasty, like it really hit a bad spot, and with all the problems he had with his circulatory system it obviously did.

same thing happened to a Texas pitcher I think a couple years ago except it hit him in the arm and i think he broke it... Ricardo Rodriguez I think was his name.... he was pitching good b4 that and has been crap since.