Astros interested in Garland?

SSH2005

Take this rumor with a grain of salt since it's from MLBTradeRumors.com:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/12/astros_update_g.html

Good stuff today from my main Astros guy.

First off, the Astros are talking to the White Sox about what it would take to acquire Jon Garland.  It's well known that Garland is on the market, and the Astros do have some interesting young arms that are sure to come up in the discussion.  Southpaw Troy Patton had a nice run in high Class A this year, and righty Jason Hirsh righted the ship at Double A Corpus Christi.  Both pitchers are very highly regarded by Baseball America.  Assuming a well-rested Roger Clemens rejoins the Astros in June, the team could once again rest its playoff hopes on starting pitching.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
No thank you to Houston. They got garbage. There minor league talent is junk. And the Astros are trash. I would consider Garland for Lidge and a prospect. Add to our set-up man depth.

well Lidge is certainly appealing. I don't have a problem with trading Garland for prospects but they should eitehr be more advanced than A ball or they should be elite if they are that low.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
well Lidge is certainly appealing. I don't have a problem with trading Garland for prospects but they should eitehr be more advanced than A ball or they should be elite if they are that low.

I agree with that sentiment. KW is not trading for players a couple years away unless they're the most elite prospects. We're in "win now, again" mode. Any pitching prospect that's getting traded for should be able to step in and do a halfway decent job if one of our starters goes down.

EDIT: IE, I would DEMAND the pimplefaced guy!... plus Qualls or Wheeler.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
I agree with that sentiment.  KW is not trading for players a couple years away unless they're the most elite prospects.  We're in "win now, again" mode.  Any pitching prospect that's getting traded for should be able to step in and do a halfway decent job if one of our starters goes down.

EDIT:  IE, I would DEMAND the pimplefaced guy!... plus Qualls or Wheeler.

TN_676926.jpgastacio_ezequiel051012.jpg

Taveras wasn't good on the road? Did you guys miss the World Series where Taveras was their most successful and consistent hitter? Uum, he rocked at the Cell in those 2 games. I know, I know, it's too small of a example to judge but he was the Astro's best offensive player in the World Series. I'd take him on the Sox (along with a prospect or 2) for Garland.

.252 hitter on the road as opposed to .330 at home. I don't know why this guy is getting hyped up by you guys... at best he's no better than Juan Pierre. Same bad caught stealing %, no power. Would many of you have traded Jon Garland for Juan Pierre? I don't think so. We can get more for Garland than an OFer that really isn't necessary.

i dont know why the sox would want to trade for pitching prospects. we dont give them a chance really ever. jenks doesnt count bc he was always major league ready, he just had mental problems. cotts was put in the bullpen immediatly. instead of giving one of our minor league amrs a chance, everyone (including KW i think) wants to plug in a major league reliever via FA or trade. if we trade garland for any minor league prospects i will be pissed. we use our prospects to trade for mlb players, which is fine and it has worked out for us so far. im not bashing the sox's way of going about things, im just making the point. i agree with it to a degree, although i would like to see a prospect get a chance to take the 4th and 5th OF spot and last bullpen spot.

We actually need at least 2 bullpen arms with Marte and Vizcaino gone and the possibility of Hermanson missing some time. I think we can cover Hermanson with an in-house minor leaguer, but we should really try to bring in two more guys if possible. I like the idea of Crede to Pitt for some of their relief as they have loads of young pitching. The only reason I'd like to see the Sox get a top minor league SP is for insurance. Our starters pitched extra long last year into the playoffs and 3 of our starters are pitching in the international games. It would probably be a good idea to have someone, like BMac last year, that could fill in. I'm not hoping for anyone as major league ready as McCarthy obviously was, but someone who can reasonably put up a mid-4 ERA.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
We actually need at least 2 bullpen arms with Marte and Vizcaino gone and the possibility of Hermanson missing some time.  I think we can cover Hermanson with an in-house minor leaguer, but we should really try to bring in two more guys if possible.  I like the idea of Crede to Pitt for some of their relief as they have loads of young pitching.  The only reason I'd like to see the Sox get a top minor league SP is for insurance.  Our starters pitched extra long last year into the playoffs and 3 of our starters are pitching in the international games.  It would probably be a good idea to have someone, like BMac last year, that could fill in.  I'm not hoping for anyone as major league ready as McCarthy obviously was, but someone who can reasonably put up a mid-4 ERA.

Then if we traded crede for RP's, we wouldn't have a 3B. Josh Fields isn't ready yet either.