Astros interested in Garland?

SSH2005

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Then if we traded crede for RP's, we wouldn't have a 3B. Josh Fields isn't ready yet either.

I was assuming a precondition of a Garland for Blalock + SP prospect there. That's where the Crede speculation came from. Sorry, I should have noted that.

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
i dont know why the sox would want to trade for pitching prospects. we dont give them a chance really ever. jenks doesnt count bc he was always major league ready, he just had  mental problems. cotts was put in the bullpen immediatly. instead of giving one of our minor league amrs a chance, everyone (including KW i think) wants to plug in a major league reliever via FA or trade. if we trade garland for any minor league prospects i will be pissed. we use our prospects to trade for mlb players, which is fine and it has worked out for us so far. im not bashing the sox's way of going about things, im just making the point. i agree with it to a degree, although i would like to see a prospect get a chance to take the 4th and 5th OF spot and last bullpen spot.

we gave dan wright, jon garland, kip wells, and mark buerhle all chances ...

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
i dont know why the sox would want to trade for pitching prospects. we dont give them a chance really ever. jenks doesnt count bc he was always major league ready, he just had  mental problems. cotts was put in the bullpen immediatly. instead of giving one of our minor league amrs a chance, everyone (including KW i think) wants to plug in a major league reliever via FA or trade. if we trade garland for any minor league prospects i will be pissed. we use our prospects to trade for mlb players, which is fine and it has worked out for us so far. im not bashing the sox's way of going about things, im just making the point. i agree with it to a degree, although i would like to see a prospect get a chance to take the 4th and 5th OF spot and last bullpen spot.

Guy's like Cotts, Adkins, BMac and Jenks don't count as 'being given a chance' by the sox? If the sox have good pitchers in the farm system, they'll be given a chance to throw in the bigs.

Right now, the sox have only a few spots open for rookies to compete. That's a good thing. But once guys start making money, the sox'll need to have rookies who can step in and take their place. Not to mention having good arms in the upper levels who can step in case of injury. Trading Jon for prospects makes sense--business and baseball wise

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Taveras wasn't good on the road? Did you guys miss the World Series where Taveras was their most successful and consistent hitter? Uum, he rocked at the Cell in those 2 games. I know, I know, it's too small of a example to judge but he was the Astro's best offensive player in the World Series. I'd take him on the Sox (along with a prospect or 2) for Garland.

And that was what 2 games. The Astros tried offering Taveras to the Yanks to help solve their CF problem, and Brian Cashman said no, that should say something right there.

Remember all of the "I don't want Juan Pierre because he's terrible defensively with no arm!!!!!!" talk a few weeks ago. Well that's basically Taveras, except for the 103/25 K/BB ratio with a .325 OBP. Even Willie Harris when he led off for us had a better OBP.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
For the type of player Taveras is, he needs to put up a much higher OBP to be good, and considering the fact he sucked anywhere outside of Minute Maid Park, I wouldn't want to see him in Chicago.

Said in the other Astros thread, and I'm sticking by it. Taveras is not that good a player.. we'll be better off with Anderson starting.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)
And that was what 2 games. The Astros tried offering Taveras to the Yanks to help solve their CF problem, and Brian Cashman said no, that should say something right there.

Remember all of the "I don't want Juan Pierre because he's terrible defensively with no arm!!!!!!" talk a few weeks ago. Well that's basically Taveras, except for the 103/25 K/BB ratio with a .325 OBP. Even Willie Harris when he led off for us had a better OBP.

I'm not advocating a Tavarez deal here, but from everything I've read and seen Tavarez is supposed to be an above average center fielder. He gets decent jumps but his speed alone gives him great range and he has a plus arm. I think he might of lead CFs in OF assists this year? He's not the same fielder Pierre is.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Take this rumor with a grain of salt since it's from MLBTradeRumors.com:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/12/astros_update_g.html

Thanks for the bit of advice on the MLBtraderumors site. Very much appreciated.

I don't see the Sox trading Garland, unless it looked like they weren't going to able to re-sign him. As I put in another thread on this board it is going to take alot of $$$$ to re-sign our pitchers though. :gosox3: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:05 AM)

Doesnt Taveras have a great arm? I recall him throwing out 2 cubs runners in 2 consecutive plays.