Contreras Reads The Tea Leaves

kevin57

The Trib today reports that Contreras is anxious to sign an extension with the Sox. He's saying that everything about the team is perfect, from the groove he's gotten into to the fans.

What it doesn't mention is that he's been reading about the Vazquez trade and how KW, who has intimated that it's time for Garland and Contreras to "get serious," will likely trade (IMO) the guy who doesn't sign an extension.

What do you guys think he signs. I'm thinking he inks up another 2 years (with a 3rd year option). Basically put, we'd have him next year and than 2 more for sure.

The question is money, maybe he'll take a larger discount since he has finally found a home with the Sox.

I agree there will be a signing for 2-3 years. It will be "reasonable" given the strastopheric salaries going to starters this year.

I really do hope JG or his agent say SOMETHING. I would love to have him signed for 3-4 years, but I'm not optimistic.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
I agree there will be a signing for 2-3 years.  It will be "reasonable" given the strastopheric salaries going to starters this year.

I really do hope JG or his agent say SOMETHING.  I would love to have him signed for 3-4 years, but I'm not optimistic.

I think Garland let his feelings be known about testing free agency, and that's why he's on the market now.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
With the market the way it for starting pitching and the salaries they are getting, would you blame either one for testing free agency?

As much as I would like to see them both with The Sox beyond 2006, I can't say I would blame them.

After Contreras's nightmare stay in NYC I seriously doubt he wants to go somewhere else. He has seen how bad it can be, and how good it can be. I really believe that he will resign here, and sooner than later.