12/20 arbitration deadline (Garland,AJ,Crede,Mack)

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

The Sox also face a Tuesday night deadline for tendering contracts to their arbitration-eligible players. They are expected to do so to Garland, catcher A.J. Pierzynski, third baseman Joe Crede and utility player Rob Mackowiak.

The Sox may try to trade infielder Willie Harris and outfielder Timo Perez, both eligible for arbitration, before the deadline.

Timo has trade value? :lolhitting

No, but they can try.  Willie has some value, but teams will just wait till the Sox non-tender them.

Bench next year:

Mackowiak

Ozuna

Widger

Davanon? Owens? Borchard? Gload?

Agreed. Timo has no value. I could see a team like the Cardinals being interested in Willie to be their starting second baseman. They have Aaron Miles, Hector Luna, and Deivi Cruz but they all suck.

I suspect Willie will be back. But Timo serves no purpose. Period.He has no qualities that can not be purchased a lot cheaper (under a mil). Frankly, I do not care if Timo is even in the big leagues next league. However, the Cubs still do need a RF. (Notice the lack of green on my last comment.)

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

I suspect Willie will be back.  But Timo serves no purpose.  Period.He has no qualities that can not be purchased a lot cheaper (under a mil).  Frankly, I do not care if Timo is even in the big leagues next league.  However, the Cubs still do need a RF. (Notice the lack of green on my last comment.)

I think Willie is as good as gone. Ozuna can play second base and provide speed off the bench. Mackowiak can also play some second base. I think when Willie declined to play in Winter ball this offseason and learn how to play shortstop, he earned his way off the team in KW's eyes.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
I think Willie is as good as gone.  Ozuna can play second base and provide speed off the bench.  Mackowiak can also play some second base.  I think when Willie declined to play in Winter ball this offseason and learn how to play shortstop, he earned his way off the team in KW's eyes.

Looking at it that way you might be right. But then again, I do not pretend to understand KW nor guess at what is brewing in his mind.

This really hurts when you look at what the Yankees gave up for Villone.

That's just awful. Why Willie or Timo weren't offered is beyond me. I'm not saying the Marlins would do a deal straight-up for either of those two, but, the f***ing Yankees gave up a non-prospect and were able to land a very nice lefty in Villone.

Was Kenny asleep at the wheel on this one?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)

That's just awful.  Why Willie or Timo weren't offered is beyond me.  I'm not saying the Marlins would do a deal straight-up for either of those two, but, the f***ing Yankees gave up a non-prospect and were able to land a very nice lefty in Villone.

:headshake

After the last couple years, I think it's near hysterical to even insinuate that Kenny Williams is ever "asleep at the wheel" as a GM.

This guy has had control problems and/or maybe there's something about Villone they didn't like.

He is a Boras client, that may have something to do with it.

There could be lots of reasons.

The White Sox will find a second lefthander, my guess is they've got a guy lined up already.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Its been like that for the entire offseason.

Could it be because he EARNED it?

Not sure if anybody else remembers what happened in October...

I'd rather cut Kenny some slack then become a yankee-type fanbase that expects to get everything they want.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)

That's just awful.  Why Willie or Timo weren't offered is beyond me.  I'm not saying the Marlins would do a deal straight-up for either of those two, but, the f***ing Yankees gave up a non-prospect and were able to land a very nice lefty in Villone.

Let's just say this...if we enter the regular season with only 1 lefty in our bullpen and both Harris and Perez non-tendered, then we can deservedly ask why KW was asleep at the wheel. Until then, I don't think that's a really fair question - the odds are he's at least looking at some more youth in the bullpen, based on previous public statements.

My fear is that we've weakened the pen. Kenny finds one or two good arms to join us in the pen and I'll be feeling a lot better.

And despite what some of you say, Viz and Marte aren't going to be super easy to replace. Solid relievers don't just grow on trees, if they did, they wouldn't be getting the ridiculous contracts they are (this year especially).

I really hope Baj/Tracey can step up and they are both just awesome character guys (Tracey with a great arm and Baj with unbelievable sucess and poise). However, to expect either of them to even come close to doing what Viz did (plus you got to remember Hermy will be a major ?) well thats unrealistic, in fact they could be awful (sure they could be great, but I think the odds are that they'll be up and down in there first year).

There should be several middle relievers available that will not be offered arbitration by Tuesday, so KW can pick one or two up that way. If I remember correctly, that is how he snatched AJ up last year.

There is probably a 99.9% chance that Timo will be non-tendered, while the Sox will shop Willie and Jon. I assume the Sox will tender everyone minus Timo.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Ron Villone - 36 Years old

Post All-Star Break 2005:

35 G, 28.1 IP, 28 H, 6.04 ERA, 1.52 WHIP

Salary:

'06 - $2M + a lot of incentives

Agent: Scott Boras

I'm not gonna lose sleep over not getting him.

owned