Who do you want to claim the last bench spot?

maggsmaggs

Who do you want to claim the last bench spot?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to claim the last bench spot?

• Joe Borchard (OF)
    • Jerry Owens (OF)
    • Jeff Davanon (OF)
    • Willie Harris (INF/CF)
    • Ross Gload (1b/LF/RF)
    • Timo Perez (OF)
    • Other

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Ozuna, Mackowiak and Ozuna are pretty much infielder/corner OF guys.

Borchard's the only one that can play all OF positions and would be the only power bat off the bench.

Mack has played plent of CF in his career. He's played 110 games over his 5 year career. So he is definately a CF back-up. And now that I look he has played 232 in RF (most of any position), so hes a RF back up, along with 46 in LF. So he plays all 3 OF positions. However, I agree with you that we need an OFer who will and can play all 3 positions. Personally I'd like someone who could fill in and possibly bat leadoff, with a little speed if ScoPo goes down again this year.

Anderson and Mackowiac can both play all 3 OF positions. That provides plenty of flexibility for Ozzie. Harris would be a good candidate for the last spot on the bench. He's a great glove at 2B, can handle CF, offers great speed for pinch running situations. If Iguchi gets hurt, I'd rather have Harris play everyday and keep Ozuna as a utility backup.

At first glance, I definitely thought Joe B, or someone like DaVanon who can play all 3 OF spots in order to rest POds, Anderson and Dye.

Yet Willie is a good insurance policy in case Iguchi goes down. I don't know if Mack or Ozuna could handle 2b full time. If they could [or least until the sox could make a deadline trade for a replacement, then bye bye Willie.

My guess is it's an OFer. And Joe B does have value as a 4th Ofer, pinch hit HR threat and solid d around the OF

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 05:09 AM)
At first glance, I  definitely thought Joe B, or someone like DaVanon who can play all 3 OF spots in order to rest POds, Anderson and Dye.

Yet Willie is a good insurance policy in case Iguchi goes down. I don't know if Mack or Ozuna could handle 2b full time. If they could [or least until the sox could make a deadline trade for a replacement, then bye bye Willie.

My guess is it's an OFer. And Joe B does have value as a 4th Ofer, pinch hit HR threat and solid d around the OF

One more thing to consider is who backs up Kong/Thome in case something happens to one of them? I suppose you could run one of the young guys out into RF and DH Jermaine Dye? Or Mackowiak? You might want to use the last place on the roster to pick up an older player, like a Matt Stairs type, to serve as insurance.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
One more thing to consider is who backs up Kong/Thome in case something happens to one of them?  I suppose you could run one of the young guys out into RF and DH Jermaine Dye?  Or Mackowiak?  You might want to use the last place on the roster to pick up an older player, like a Matt Stairs type, to serve as insurance.

I have a hunch it might be Ross Gload, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

One more thing to consider is who backs up Kong/Thome in case something happens to one of them?  I suppose you could run one of the young guys out into RF and DH Jermaine Dye?  Or Mackowiak?  You might want to use the last place on the roster to pick up an older player, like a Matt Stairs type, to serve as insurance.

How is this a concern for next year? We now have three guys who can play first base -- Konerko, Thome, and Mackowiak. :huh:

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
How is this a concern for next year?  We now have three guys who can play first base -- Konerko, Thome, and Mackowiak.  :huh:

I was thinking of power/RBIs, Mack might just be the man, he has hit 17 in the past. The rest of the bench, sans JoBo, looks pretty punch and judy.