Non-tender candidates

SSH2005

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Here's a look at a few of the players who might be non-tendered:

• RHP Joe Borowski. Even though Borowski was arguably the MVP of the Devil Rays' second half in 2005, he may be the odd man out if the Rays sign Japanese setup man Shinji Mori.

• RHP Gil Meche. He'll probably make around $4 million and hasn't improved the way the Mariners hoped.

• RHP Ryan Franklin. Two rough years in a row for Seattle.

• RHP Dan Kolb. The Brewers traded for Kolb at the Winter Meetings and would like to give him a chance to return to 2004 form, but only if he agrees to be non-tendered and re-signed at a significantly reduced price than the $3.4 million he made last year from Atlanta.

• 3B Russell Branyan. The Brewers plan to start Bill Hall at third base and decided to re-sign veteran Jeff Cirillo as a backup. Prospect Corey Hart played third base in the Arizona Fall League and could serve as a utility man, potentially leaving Branyan without a job. Branyan missed a month last season with a broken middle finger, but more troublingly he struggled all season with a mysterious shoulder injury. He could offer the team a power left-handed bat off the bench, and the Brewers talked at times last season about using him as a backup in the outfield.

• 1B Hee Seop Choi. Deemed expendable by the Dodgers.

• CF Corey Patterson. Cubs are trying to deal him now that they have Juan Pierre.

• RHP Jim Brower. The Braves could likely sign him for around $1 million. But management made it known at the end of the 2005 season that they likely wouldn't bring him back. The veteran right-hander never showed consistency after being claimed off waivers in June.

Others possibly joining the non-tender ranks include catchers Jason Phillips (Dodgers) and Geronimo Gil (Orioles); infielders Junior Spivey (Nationals), Willie Harris (White Sox), Willie Bloomquist (Mariners) and Henry Mateo (Nationals); and pitchers Ramon Ortiz (Reds) and Kyle Lohse (Twins).

Would anyone be interested in Dan Kolb or Jim Brower if they don't agree to contracts with their current teams?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
There's not much better available unless you trade for a reliever.

I think Baj or Tracey would be able to match Brower's performance, so I dont really see the need in adding him when we already have similar, or better, options in-house.

Edited by Felix

I think Baj or Tracey would be able to match Brower's performance, so I dont really see the need in adding him when we already have similar, or better, options in-house.

Good point. I still think people here love Bajenaru way too much. I know it's a small sample size but everytime he pitches for us he gets shellacked. His stuff doesn't seem very impressive to me.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
Good point.  I still think people here love Bajenaru way too much.  I know it's a small sample size but everytime he pitches for us he gets shellacked.  His stuff doesn't seem very impressive to me.

I agree with that, and yea, he doesn't seem all that impressive in the majors, but neither does Brower. If Baj could put up an ERA ~5 or so, it would probably be just about the same thing that Brower could do.

Baj has proven that he can dominate AAA, so I think he should actually be given a serious chance in the majors to prove that he isn't a AAAA player.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
Good point.  I still think people here love Bajenaru way too much.  I know it's a small sample size but everytime he pitches for us he gets shellacked.  His stuff doesn't seem very impressive to me.

He's certainly no Kevin Walker, ehh?

Kolb isn't good. Even in his good year, he had 21 K's in 57 IP. His stuff isn't very good at all...

Gil Meche seems like a possibility. Mariners fans seem to think he'd be a heckuva lot better in the bullpen (read his B-R page), and he might be a better option than a guy like Tracey. Oh, and any peak he's going to have will probably be in the next couple years (he's only 26).

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Kolb isn't a strikeout guy.

He's never been anything other than a groundball pitcher.

Perhaps most importanly

Thus, barring a settlement by Tuesday, the Brewers will non-tender Kolb and try to work out a lesser deal. Non-tendered players are open to offers from other clubs, which Melvin acknowledged could be an obstacle, considering Kolb's agent is Scott Boras, renown for seeking the highest salary for clients.

Ryan Franklin's a good chance to get non - tendered, if you're looking for a swingman, he hasn't been good in the last 2 seasond, but he's almost thrown 200 innings for the last 3 years.

Meche is going to be kept as a starter, unless they make a trade for one;

Washburn can be expected to fill the No. 3 spot in the Seattle rotation, with Jamie Moyer and Felix Hernandez going 1-2, and Joel Pineiro and Gil Meche rounding out the starting group.

A published report that Meche would not be tendered a contract by the Tuesday deadline is believed to be incorrect. In fact, barring a change of mind, the Mariners are expected to tender contracts to Meche, Julio Mateo and Willie Bloomquist. At this point, the only arbitration-eligible player not expected to be sent a contract by the deadline is pitcher Ryan Franklin.

Jose Acevado is another one who's probably going to get non - tendered. Hasn't been good in the last 2 seasons, but he's an option for a MLC (had a good year in 2003). Maybe he just needs to get out of Colorado as well.

There's not much else that I can find other than the ones that have been mentioned already.

Kolb's an interesting option, but I think he'll be headed back to Milwaulkee even if they non - tender him. Plus those K/9 ratios really do worry ya.

And anthrax, Kolb also had more than 1 good season as well.

I'd like the sox to take a chance on a guy like Lohse for the long man/ 7th SP spot [could be the 6th SP if they traded Jon]. He's a guy who had much better splits in 1-3 innings than the 4-6, with much fewer K's and more BB's as he went deeper into games. Seems destined for the bullpen. [last yr, .275/.317/.417 in innings 1-3 and .319/.367/.495 in 4-6--he also had similar splits for yrs 2002-2004]. Lohse also lost control as the game went on [inns 1-3, had 20 bb's in 341 ab's, but had 41 bb's and in 313 ab's in inns 4-6. For 02-04, for inns. 1-3 had 74 bb's and 189 k's in 1110 ab's vs inns. 4-6 72 bb's and only 113 k's in 996 ab's]]

Yet with his age 27, and contract, $2+ mill,] he'd be an expensive long man/ spot starter. A good insurance policy should the sox trade Jon before '06 though, where they could take on extra salary from that spot.