Non-tender candidates

SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Lohse will get more than $2 million from some team if the Twins non-tender him.  The market for pitching is insane.

That's why I said if the sox traded jon, Lohse might be worth the extra salary as he could also start. Yet he'd probably get a nice offer from another team.

Yet there could be other guys like Lohse [5th starter types who could be better suited for the bullpen in the long role/ short relief] that may be better and cheaper options.

I like trying Tracey in that role. Yet he'd be hard pressed to duplicate Vizcaino's numbers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Ryan Franklin's a good chance to get non - tendered, if you're looking for a swingman, he hasn't been good in the last 2 seasond, but he's almost thrown 200 innings for the last 3 years.

Wasn't Franklin on steroids?

Make up your mind; :P

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, the Mariners likely will tender a contract to Ryan Franklin, who had a 5.10 ERA while making $2.4 million last season.

Well, if the Pirates are going to tender Josh Fogg, maybe we should have saw this coming. Of the group of Franklin, Gil Meche, Julio Mateo, Rafael Soriano and Willie Bloommquist, the Post-Intelligencer believes Meche has the best chance of being non-tendered. The Seattle Times indicated last week that Meche was more likely to be kept than Franklin. Dec. 19 - 3:40 am et

QUOTE(Adam G @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
I'd take Borowski, if for no other reason than the fact that he used to live in my building and is a cool guy.

Borowski isn't a closer. He seems to pitch well to lefties. His whip is decent. He has been successful before and his lifetime era is about 3.8 something. Again let coop work on him and its always great to smear something in the northsider's face. What pitches does he have. He could be used as a set up man. His last stint was for the devilrays and he pitched decently for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
Rafael Soriano. Why not give hima shot if we can?? If I am not mistaken this guy has great stuff just had health problems... Herm will fix him!

Soriano is available? s*** I agree. Take a chance on him, at least for a bullpen spot. He is definitely worth it.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Soriano is available? s*** I agree. Take a chance on him, at least for a bullpen spot. He is definitely worth it.

He is not available. The writer of the article speculated as to who could be non-tendered by the Mariners out of all their pitchers and said Gil Meche had the best shot, Soriano was one of the names but I highly doubt he'll be non-tendered.

All of these guys listed are not difference makers.

Most of them are injury risks.

Let our young guys come in and take some spots in the pen.

Our pen is not that bad. It's not as deep as last year, but it's not bad.

Jenks

Cotts

Politte

All three of those guys are solid and will be mostly 8-9 inning guys.

I also think Hermanson will be able to pitch.

Our rotation is so solid that we don't need a really good long man.

If Garland stays, McCarthy will be in the pen.

If he doesn't, McCarthy will be in the rotation.

I think Tracey, Baj and a couple of non-roster invitees will take the final 2/3 spots, depending on how many we carry in the pen.

Also, if we do trade Garland, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bullpen arm in the deal to maybe take one of the last spots.

When it's all said and done, I expect us to carry 7 in the pen.