Nomar signs with Dodgers

SSH2005

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2264252

The Los Angeles Dodgers are slowly becoming the West Coast version of the Red Sox after Nomar Garciaparra agreed in principle to an incentive-laden one-year deal, ESPN's Peter Gammons confirmed.

Garciaparra, who still needs to take a physical and finalize contract details, will likely play first base for the Dodgers. The deal has a base salary of $6 million and could be worth as much as $8 million, the New York Post reported.

The Yankees, Astros and Indians were originally interested in Garciaparra but we're told by Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellum, of his choice to join the Dodgers.

Nice to see the Indians miss out on Nomar. :headbang

Edited by SSH2005

That's just an interesing infield. Around the horn: Mueller, Furcal, Kent, Garciaparra.

If the Dodgers emerge as a front-runner in the Garland discussion, methinks Izturis' name needs to be a part of the talks.

Izturis--current MLB talent--Billingsley--the number one prospect in the organization--and another mid-level prospect is what I'd look for in return. It's about damn time the White Sox find a suitor willing to overpay for some of our talent. Garland needs to be looked at as one of the best players available and should be acquired as such.

If Kenny can find a way to make that trade happen, you come out aces no matter what the rest of the off-season looks like.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Isn't Izturis slated to miss half the season?  And what purpose would he serve on the current White Sox?  I could see Garland being moved to LA, just don't know why Izturis should be involved.

I really think that Texas is where Garland winds up if the Sox trade him. They desperately need pitching, and eventually will be willing to overpay. I also think the Sox love Blalock.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Isn't Izturis slated to miss half the season?  And what purpose would he serve on the current White Sox?  I could see Garland being moved to LA, just don't know why Izturis should be involved.

Yes, he is slated to miss the first half of the season. He provides depth at both middle infield positions--although, iirc, he hasn't been at 2B in quite some time--and is somebody that can start for prolonged periods of time if someone were to go down to injury. It never hurts to get depth like that up the middle. He's a very solid ball-player.

I'm happy with Izturis, Billingsley and either Broxton or Jackson--if they aren't willing to part with either one of those two, perhaps someone like Young.

Billingsley would be considered this organization's top prospect, no question.

EDIT: Reflecting on this post, that would be an absolutely amazing package for Garland. Wow. I think I may have gone a bit overboard. If Kenny is able to net a package like that, he will have had two of the most successful consecutive off-seasons--at least on paper--in recent memory.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I really think that Texas is where Garland winds up if the Sox trade him. They desperately need pitching, and eventually will be willing to overpay. I also think the Sox love Blalock.

Those Blalock talks scare the hell out of me. I'm perfectly content with what Crede brings to the table day-in-and-day-out. I realize he is a Boras client, but, I really think with another solid year under his belt, he needs to be looked at as this team's staple at 3B for years to come.

I'm a total believer in a strong defensive club after having watched that run last season.

I like both Diamond and Danks, but, throw in Blalock's name and I start getting nervous...I might be alone in those sentiments.

good for nomar. i always felt bad for him with that freak injury (despite him being a cub), and its good to see he has another chance to shine and the only way he can hurt us if in the world series- if the dodgers make it there (cause i count on us being there in 07)

After the Cubs lost out on Furcal, I was hoping that Nomar could return to them....He seemed open to playing the OF, and even SS could have been possible if Cedeno struggles early on...

The Cubs at this point still don't have a proven SS (they do like Cedeno), LF (Murton looks like he might be ok, but still a risk) and RF....

Personally about Garland I would love to see him in the NL.. ANd I feel that it would only help his FA status, playing in Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers have what we would want, then why not. The Blalock deal works, but if you look at the lineup.. He doesn't fit in it. I thought I wanted him..and would be great if Thome was not here.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)

The reason why a team would want Izturis is that he'll almost certainly be the 1st or 2nd best defensive SS in the NL when he returns next year at the AS break, no matter which team he's playing on.

Of course, given that we already have the best defensive SS in the AL on our team (and he'll win that damn award instead of Jeter next year now that people have noticed him and he's adapted to the position) I have no idea why we'd want him.

The Dodgers should, IMO, try to find someone to take Izturis immediately. If I needed a SS (North Side?) and had a backup plan to get me through the first half, he'd be an excellent addition.

This may or may not answer your question, Yasny, but I remember one year, probably 2004, when the Sox wanted to put someone on the 45 day DL in late August, and MLB told them it wasn't necessary because (1) the rosters were going to expand anyway and (2) the 45 day designation expires at the end of the season. So my answer is that an "injured" player can be traded, as long as the acquiring team has you pass their physical. But the acquiring team has to be sure they aren't being sirotka-ed.

After the Cubs lost out on Furcal, I was hoping that Nomar could return to them....He seemed open to playing the OF, and even SS could have been possible if Cedeno struggles early on...

The Cubs at this point still don't have a proven SS (they do like Cedeno), LF (Murton looks like he might be ok, but still a risk) and RF....

*sniff* whats that i smell?? *sniff* is that cubs sympathy?

thanks for the update on the cubs lineup (WHO CARES)