Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress

Mercy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/politics/17vet.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 17, 2005

Red District, Blue Candidate, Purple Heart

By JODI WILGOREN

CHICAGO, Dec. 16 - During 13 months of rehabilitation at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, Maj. L. Tammy Duckworth says, she did a lot of reading about American schoolchildren "losing our competitive advantage" with China. Encountering questions about her top-of-the-line prostheses while walking around a shopping mall, she says, made her ponder inequities in America's health care system.

And there was plenty of time to critique the Bush administration's prosecution of the war in Iraq, where she lost both legs and partial use of her right arm when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the Black Hawk helicopter she was flying over the Tigris River.

So Ms. Duckworth, who was discharged from Walter Reed on Wednesday and from active duty the day before, decided to run for Congress, joining a growing group of a dozen Iraq veterans running next year - most, like her, as Democrats.

"I had my legs blown off in Iraq, and because I had my legs blown off in Iraq people are listening to me," said Ms. Duckworth, 37, who plans to announce her candidacy officially on Sunday, at a rally and in an appearance on the ABC News program "This Week." "I'm not going to get my legs back, and that's fine, but if that gives me a platform to talk about the things that are important to me, like education and jobs, that's great."

Ms. Duckworth is seeking her party's nomination in a March 21 primary for the seat being vacated after 32 years by Representative Henry J. Hyde, a powerful Republican, in a swath of suburban Chicago that has lately become more Democratic. The district would be a prize for the Democrats in their effort to retake control of the House.

Political analysts and the national Democratic leaders who recruited her say Ms. Duckworth and the other veterans could help Democrats gain traction on crucial issues of national security, where Republicans often have the edge. Paul L. Hackett, who commanded a Marine unit in Iraq, made a surprisingly strong showing in a special Congressional election this summer in Ohio, earning 48 percent of the vote in a heavily Republican district. That outcome propelled Mr. Hackett into a race for the Democratic nomination to challenge Senator Mike DeWine next year and inspired several fellow veterans to undertake their own campaigns.

What the Democratic leaders are looking for is "somebody who can deliver a message on Iraq but the messenger won't be instantly discredited as a typically liberal Democrat - that's the theory of the formula," explained Amy Walter, who follows House races for The Cook Political Report, the quintessential Washington handicapper. The veterans, Ms. Walter added, "have an instant level of credibility to talk about that."

Indeed, Ms. Duckworth, who received the Air Medal as well as a Purple Heart, already has the talking points down: "My role in the Army gives me the courage to make the tough decisions," is one of her lines. And: "Those of us who've served on the ground have a unique perspective on the war and on what it means to serve in combat."

In a telephone interview Friday as part of a carefully orchestrated rollout of her campaign, Ms. Duckworth said that she had opposed the invasion of Iraq from the start, even as she volunteered for deployment, but that she did not favor the quick withdrawal that some Democrats seek.

"I think we broke it and we need to fix it," she said. "We have a commitment and an obligation to make sure that we help Iraqi security forces be able to maintain their own security. We need to come up with an aggressive plan based on benchmarks for when we're going to leave."

Ms. Duckworth's opponent in the primary, Christine Cegelis, a software engineer who won 44 percent of the vote against Representative Hyde in 2004, tried to put a positive spin on a campaign by so high-profile a contender, saying she hoped it would "give our race the visibility that would not have been afforded to me." State Senator Peter J. Roskam, the conservative Republican whom one of the women will face next November, declined to be interviewed but issued a statement admiring Ms. Duckworth's "service and sacrifice to our great country."

Ms. Duckworth lives with her husband, Bryan Bowlsbey, an Army officer, in Hoffman Estates. Their home is three miles outside the district she hopes to represent, but Congressional candidates are required only to live within the state.

She was one of very few women flying combat missions in Iraq, until her Black Hawk was felled on Nov. 12, 2004. In between more than two dozen operations (she says she lost count) while at Walter Reed, she testified before Congress about military health care benefits and was a guest of Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, at this year's State of the Union address. She can now walk up to a mile unaided with her prostheses, but generally uses a cane and spends some of each day in a wheelchair; she still lacks full use of her right arm.

"Amputees fall down a lot - it's just the nature of being an amputee - so you'll probably see that," she said. "I'm learning to tuck and roll really well."

Copyright 2005The New York Times

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That district has a strong Dem primary between Duckworth and someone else whose name I can't recall - but is also well liked by the base and moderates alike. Like Sherrod Brown and Paul Hackett in Ohio. I think in both cases, there will be a strong challenge to an incumbent because of it.

I quit reading right about there...

I’m sorry to hear that. I know it's easy to be cynical sometimes.

On the off chance you might still be curious about finding out a bit more about this veteran – her upbeat take on life and her future after suffering catastrophic injuries in service to her country; and her unflagging support for the military - here are a few more links. Don’t worry. They’re almost entirely apolitical. And pretty darn inspiring.

Can-do spirit rises from crash

Injured soldier, inspirational woman

An Amputee's Long Walk Back to Flight Duty

(9 minute NPR sound clip)

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I’m sorry to hear that.  I know it's easy to be cynical sometimes.

On the off chance you might still be curious about finding out a bit more about this veteran – her upbeat take on life and her future after suffering catastrophic injuries in service to her country; and her unflagging support for the military - here are a few more links.  Don’t worry.  They’re almost entirely apolitical.  And pretty darn inspiring.

To be honest, I am much to disgusted to care much about this person. If politics has gotten to the point where a major party has resorted to recruited amputee war vets to run for office, I'm really not interested in what the PR machine has to say about her. It was one thing to front a mom who lost her son in Iraq and use her to further your cause, it makes me ill that now we are moving onto the searching out the handicapped to do so.

And to be honest I am surprised this doesn't offend you as the defender of the downtrodden and used.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
I’m sorry to hear that.  I know it's easy to be cynical sometimes.

On the off chance you might still be curious about finding out a bit more about this veteran – her upbeat take on life and her future after suffering catastrophic injuries in service to her country; and her unflagging support for the military - here are a few more links.  Don’t worry.  They’re almost entirely apolitical.  And pretty darn inspiring.

Very inspiring, however outside of being an injuried vet, what are her qualifications. What is her stand on important issues, outside of been an Emanuel recruit and spoken opponent of the war.

I have an Uncle that came over from Ireland and like a few of my relatives including my father he decided to join the army to help get his citizenship on the fasttrack. He lost one of his legs in vietnam, did this in the service of a country he barely lived in but already loved and wanted to be a part of. Now is he qualified to become a member of congress?

People who serve this country and give up everything deserve our respect and our honor. However I feel that there is a piti factor being pushed here by the democrats and members of the media.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
To be honest, I am much to disgusted to care much about this person.  If politics has gotten to the point where a major party has resorted to recruited amputee war vets to run for office, I'm really not interested in what the PR machine has to say about her.  It was one thing to front a mom who lost her son in Iraq and use her to further your cause, it makes me ill that now we are moving onto the searching out the handicapped to do so.

And to be honest I am surprised this doesn't offend you as the defender of the downtrodden and used.

You make it sound like people are never recruited/badgered/cajoled into political careers by party affiliates. In truth, that is pretty much the way it happens. The type of people you would actually want to see in elected offices are usually smart enough to run away as fast as they can, but sometimes they can be talked into running for office.

From a Portland Oregon TV report on Tammy Duckworth

On Dec. 21, Captain Tammy Duckworth was promoted to Major and just last week, she testified before a Senate committee on veterans' affairs, telling them how important she believes it is to care for injured soldiers like her.

"The first, most easily identified need that the VA will have to support is continued technology," she said in her testimony.

It is technology and quality care that saved Duckworth's life, a life that is now centered on a dream that she hopes will become a reality.

"I want to stay in the Army and I want to fly helicopters for the Army again," she says. "I'm not letting some guy who got lucky one day in Baghdad decide my future."

From NPR on her background

In civilian life, Duckworth manages programs for Rotary International and travels to Asia and around the world. When she joined the Illinois National Guard, she signed up to be a pilot because, she says, that's where a woman had the best chance to go into combat.

I love how the media focuses on her amputee status. She was recruited partially because she's a war vet. And partially because she's been a community leader with Rotary.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
You make it sound like people are never recruited/badgered/cajoled into political careers by party affiliates.  In truth, that is pretty much the way it happens.  The type of people you would actually want to see in elected offices are usually smart enough to run away as fast as they can, but sometimes they can be talked into running for office.

This goes past that. It is one thing to take a guy who in a state office and recruit him to run nationally, it is quite another to find the most strikingly sympathetic figure that you can and put them out there simply because they are an amputee. And I am sure that I will hear all of the PR machines reasons why she is so awesome, but after reading how they are recruiting people specifically, I don't see much to convince me otherwise.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
It's not cause she's an amputee. It's cause she's a war vet. Who by the way has been fighting to ensure VA provides better technology for wounded soldiers to lead normal lives again.

I don't believe that for a second. The first part anyway.

You don't believe it because that's all the media reports:

Lazy reporter: What makes her unique? Democrat candidate, backed by the party? That's not unique. Iraq war vet running? That's not unique. Qualified? Well, who cares about that anyway. Oh look, she has no legs - I got my lead!

so Schwartzenegger wasnt recruited by the Repubs to run for Govenor of CA. How about Elizabeth Dole, was she recruited to run for Senator of NC? Hillary obviously was recruited to run for Senator from NY.

What about Jim Oberweis.. he was recruited by the Republican party to run for Govenor of Illinois.

Ronald Reagan many years ago for California.

Happens all the time. Nothing new.

Very inspiring, however outside of being an injuried vet, what are her qualifications.  What is her stand on important issues, outside of been an Emanuel recruit and spoken opponent of the war.

I have an Uncle that came over from Ireland and like a few of my relatives including my father he decided to join the army to help get his citizenship on the fasttrack.  He lost one of his legs in vietnam, did this in the service of a country he barely lived in but already loved and wanted to be a part of.  Now is he qualified to become a member of congress?

People who serve this country and give up everything deserve our respect and our honor.  However I feel that there is a piti factor being pushed here by the democrats and members of the media.

SSIrish, you sound exactly like this:

"Isn't the lady going through enough right now, and you're going to send her through this tough campaign?" Lauzen said. "What is the basis of her appeal? Courage. I don't think that necessarily qualifies her to go to Congress.” - " Republican state Sen. Chris Lauzen, who supports the GOP candidate

I pray that the Illinois Republican Party keeps having its bumblers continue to put out condescending remarks like that. It can only help to maintain them on their downward spiral here.

If your uncle had two degrees and the employment background of this woman and said he was running for Congress, I’d sure give him listen, too.

Just for comparison, when our current Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, was her age and just getting started in politics, his claim to fame was as a wrestling coach. Although he came of age at the height of the Viet Nam war, he avoided the draft and served not a second in the military.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
so Schwartzenegger wasnt recruited by the Repubs to run for Govenor of CA. How about Elizabeth Dole, was she recruited to run for Senator of NC? Hillary obviously was recruited to run for Senator from NY.

What about Jim Oberweis.. he was recruited by the Republican party to run for Govenor of Illinois.

Ronald Reagan many years ago for California.

Happens all the time. Nothing new.

Well at least the Dems can run on a platform of trying to find jobs for the handicapped...

If you all want to believe what you want to believe, that's fine. I think it is completely obvious, even through their own PR people that the Dems are recriuting war vets, and even targeting an amputee to further their search for a sympathetic figure to talk about the war. Wow, if people listened when a mom talked about her dead son, how awesome it would be to have an amputee talk about how bad the war is?

But you guys keep telling me how this is just recruiting good canditates. Sure. Everyone can believe in a vast right wing conspiracy to takeover the planet, but no one can believe that their own precious party would ever stoop to this, even when it was pretty much stated in black and white. It figures.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
I've known of her candidacy for weeks. I found out she was an amputee yesterday. Nobody in the party is talking about her missing legs. But if you wanna say its because she's all stumpy - that's your perogative.

Well the guy that was trying to get signatures at the bowling alley had a picture of her from when she was in the hospital all bandaged up. He would show that picture of her and say we're trying to get signatures for blah blah blah...

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
I've known of her candidacy for weeks. I found out she was an amputee yesterday. Nobody in the party is talking about her missing legs. But if you wanna say its because she's all stumpy - that's your perogative.

Rex, look at the damn article that started this thread. It MADE A POINT to talk about the amputee part. If she's so damn good as a candidate, why even talk about it? Ohhhh, because they have to so that she's more appealing. Come on. It's too obvious.

And I'm not trying to mock her. I appreciate what she's sacrificed. But she was 100% recruited on appeal, not her beliefs.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)

And here I was all worried about punching the ticket to Hell (again) and refrained from wondering what her 'stump speech' was going to be. :D

I'm not gonna argue the stupid point anymore. But if her ideas are right to begin with, what the f*** does it matter if she's an amputee or if she was recruited because she's got no legs or if she poops roses and pure sunlight for that matter?

She's running against Henry Hyde. And he's facing a stiff challenge because he's been a terrible Congressman. But rather than focus on issues that might actually matter, people here focus on her limbs - or lack of them. So the f*** what?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm not gonna argue the stupid point anymore. But if her ideas are right to begin with, what the f*** does it matter if she's an amputee or if she was recruited because she's got no legs or if she poops roses and pure sunlight for that matter?

She's running against Henry Hyde. And he's facing a stiff challenge because he's been a terrible Congressman. But rather than focus on issues that might actually matter, people here focus on her limbs - or lack of them. So the f*** what?

Its not a problem with her. Not at all. Its a problem with politicians who are willing to use someone because of their handicap, not only that, but to search them out to do so. That bothers me. And trust me, I am sure if Repubs had picked an amputee Gulf War vet to run for something, there would be much more outrage to go around.