Time's "Persons" of the year

Balta1701

For those who haven't yet seen it...Time Magazine has chosen 3 people for their "Persons of the year" award (dammit, it should be people!)

For being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow, Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are TIME's Persons of the Year.
Sounds like a pretty good choice to me...continues to try to focus the world's attention on an issue that just can't get enough traction to save the lives which could be easily saved.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
For those who haven't yet seen it...Time Magazine has chosen 3 people for their "Persons of the year" award (dammit, it should be people!)

Sounds like a pretty good choice to me...continues to try to focus the world's attention on an issue that just can't get enough traction to save the lives which could be easily saved.

oh, i can hardly wait for Bono to fly back to chicago in his private jet and preach to us about poor people.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Yeah, let those people fend for themselves.  Our world "leaders" will get around to addressing poverty when they're damn well ready to.

:notworthy

Seriously, I don't care much for his music, but I have nothing but respect for the charitible work he does. Yah, he has a lot of money and can be described as a camera hog, but there are billions of worse things that he can be doing with his time and money. Unless there is a side of him that I don't know about, I don't see what the problem with him is. Feel free to fill me in if I'm totally missing something here.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
Yeah, let those people fend for themselves.  Our world "leaders" will get around to addressing poverty when they're damn well ready to.

huh?

Oh yea, without that hypocritical hack Bono the world would be so much worse off. I got an idea 'Bono', how about give some of your billions to the starving instead of just your lip service. He, of course, won't. Bono feels he needs his mansions and jetliners more than the people he preaches about need food. Hells, even if only kept a million he would live comfortably.

I don't have a problem with people keeping their own money, but I do have a problem when they b**** at everyone else and point fingers while they live a such a decedent life them self.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
huh?

Oh yea, without that hypocritical hack Bono the world would be so much worse off.  I got an idea 'Bono', how about give some of your billions to the starving instead of just your lip service. He, of course, won't.  Bono feels he needs his mansions and jetliners more than the people he preaches about need food.  Hells, even if only kept a million he would live comfortably. 

I don't have a problem with people keeping their own money, but I do have a problem when they b**** at everyone else and point fingers while they live a such a decedent life them self.

huh?

It seems to me that Bono meets with world leaders (like our own GWB) and asks them to be involved in erasing third world debt and trying to feed the hungry. I don't see him telling us, the average person, to do more. He seems to understand that governments need to get involved and get serious about these issues. That's more than I can say about what other celebs do in their free time.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
How do you know he isn't giving money to these causes?

Just cause he keeps some for himself?

lol

he better be giving some money with all the soap box ranting he does. the guy seems like a fraud to me, just in it for publicity. "ok Bono, the new U2 album is coming out...you know what to do".

i'm done posting about bobo now.