Automated EBAY bidder

Flash Tizzle

Since our search engines are still (for whatever reason) disabled, I was hoping someone could assist me with this issue.

Earlier this evening, I bid on a DVD set intended as a Christmas present for my older brother. This relatively unknown TV series was available in a DVD set featuring 72 episodes. The price? 29.99. I placed a bid of $30.00 and assumed no issues would present themselves.

And why should I have? DVD set was guaranteed to arrive within several days, there were 4 items of the same product available, and only two (including my own) were displaying bids. The aforementioned bid dated back several days. As soon as 20 minutes before the auction ended, the status of the four items didn't change. Two items were bid on, two weren't.. I left my house assuming a victorious bid.

Return home half an hour ago, absolutely stunned to discover I had been outbid 5 f***ING SECONDS before the auction was terminated. Immediately following this revelation, I sent the asshole a scatching message telling him there were two other items available for him, and he ruined my Christmas with his bulls***. Yes, a bit dramatic; but it completely derails my Christmas. Now I have to battle the crowds, horrendous Chicago weather, and literally search for a present.

What this event taught me is never to assume anything relating to EBAY. You can't expect to bid on an item, no matter how obscure, and not expect some mo-mo to ruin your day. Now, I will become one of these people. If anyone is aware of the link to an automated EBAY list, I'd appreciate it.

I apologize in advance if this sounds insensitive.

Your story reinforces two of my basic theories.

One: Never rely on an online auction to buy your Christmas gifts. Do it early and get it out of the way.

and

Two: People are selfish pricks.

I hope you're able to find something nice for your brother, hopefully that DVD set is out there someplace.

Ebay already has something that ups your bid automatically if you are outbid. Just put the bid in as the maximum you are willing to pay.

For example, if the starting bid on the item was 29.99 and you put in a bid of 100.00, it would list the high bid as 29.99. If somebody came in at the last second and tried to steal it away from you at 35.00 they would instantly be outbid by you. They would have to put in a bid higher than 100.00 for you to lose the auction.

I've used it before and it works amazingly well.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Ebay already has something that ups your bid automatically if you are outbid. Just put the bid in as the maximum you are willing to pay.

For example, if the starting bid on the item was 29.99 and you put in a bid of 100.00, it would list the high bid as 29.99. If somebody came in at the last second and tried to steal it away from you at 35.00 they would instantly be outbid by you. They would have to put in a bid higher than 100.00 for you to lose the auction.

I've used it before and it works amazingly well.

I would not suggest putting it too high. Most sellers, especially on tickets have ebay account set up to increase the bid price. They know you have a higher price, or should I say assume, and just up the price a little bit.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I would not suggest putting it too high.  Most sellers, especially on tickets have ebay account set up to increase the bid price.  They know you have a higher price, or should I say assume, and just up the price a little bit.

I find that really hard to believe.

Who's going to go through the trouble of setting up a new account just for the sake up making a few extra bucks? Especially when they risk 1) getting kicked off Ebay and 2) bidding on and winning their own auction?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Have you thought to contact the person who put either of the other sets that didn't get bid on which ended and ask if you could purchase it for your 30 dollar price?

good point, chances are its a bulls***, malaysian burned dvd for that price, so the guy can probably burn/purchase another really easily.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
Since our search engines are still (for whatever reason) disabled, I was hoping someone could assist me with this issue.

Earlier this evening, I bid on a DVD set intended as a Christmas present for my older brother. This relatively unknown TV series was available in a DVD set featuring 72 episodes. The price? 29.99. I placed a bid of $30.00 and assumed no issues would present themselves.

And why should I have? DVD set was guaranteed to arrive within several days, there were 4 items of the same product available, and only two (including my own) were displaying bids. The aforementioned bid dated back several days. As soon as 20 minutes before the auction ended, the status of the four items didn't change. Two items were bid on, two weren't.. I left my house assuming a victorious bid.

Return home half an hour ago, absolutely stunned to discover I had been outbid 5 f***ING SECONDS before the auction was terminated. Immediately following this revelation, I sent the asshole a scatching message telling him there were two other items available for him, and he ruined my Christmas with his bulls***. Yes, a bit dramatic; but it completely derails my Christmas. Now I have to battle the crowds, horrendous Chicago weather, and literally search for a present.

What this event taught me is never to assume anything relating to EBAY. You can't expect to bid on an item, no matter how obscure, and not expect some mo-mo to ruin your day. Now, I will become one of these people.  If anyone is aware of the link to an automated EBAY list, I'd appreciate it.

You do realize even with a sniper program, if someone bid $31 you would lose? You actually lost because someone bid more than you, not closer to the deadline.

Shill bidding is one of the few areas that eBay watches closely, and acts quickly to stop. They watch for losing bidders matching up to a specific seller.

I would not suggest putting it too high.  Most sellers, especially on tickets have ebay account set up to increase the bid price.  They know you have a higher price, or should I say assume, and just up the price a little bit.

I never thought of that, v. good point.

QUOTE(heartslasher @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
that sounds amazing, just bookmarked it for my next splurge :) thanks

Are you trying to set a record for posts in a 10 minute period?? or did ya just get finished with a redbull kegstand???

either way...

Welcome to Soxtalk....try to pace yourself...we ain't going anywhere.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
I find that really hard to believe.

Who's going to go through the trouble of setting up a new account just for the sake up making a few extra bucks? Especially when they risk 1) getting kicked off Ebay and 2) bidding on and winning their own auction?

SO what if the person has the highest bid then they just say the winning bidder didnt pay and offer it to the next highest bid.....pretty easy actually. YES I do know people who have done this and they seal almost all tickets this way!