chalk one up for the good guys......

juddling

MILWAUKEE -- A Milwaukee father and son said they thought it was a joke when two men with guns entered their home on Friday night.

But once guns were at their heads, they fought back, reported WISN-TV.

Police said two armed men walked up the stairs, knocked on the door and planned to rob the home of Alfredo Hernandez and his son.

"I saw the pistol ... to my son's head," Hernandez said. "If they were going to shoot anybody, they were going to shoot me."

While one of the men attempted to make off with his son's recording equipment, Hernandez said he wrestled the other man to get the gun away from his son's head.

Hernandez's son also didn't give into the robbery.

"He clenched onto my arm and I just kept punching him till finally I ripped my arm out," said the son, who didn't want his name publicized. "Then we got him down, then I kicked him a couple times."

The man who nabbed the valuables was able to get away, while Hernandez sat on the other robber, trapping him.

By the time police arrived on the scene, Hernandez told WISN-TV, they had injured the man so badly that an ambulance had to come to the home.

Hernandez said he stabbed the man three times in the leg with a cheese knife and his son hit the man in the head with a snow shovel, which authorities took for evidence.

According to Hernandez, the man was screaming for help, begging not be arrested by police.

Hernandez also said the crooks pointed the loaded guns at his daughter and his 3-year-old granddaughter.

With his family in peril, Hernandez said he did what he had to do.

"Oh yeah, I messed him up," Hernandez said. "He came in walking and left in a stretcher."

gee...i hope the Milwaukee city council doesn't consider banning snow shovels now!!!!!

:cheers :cheers :notworthy

It's great that this particular story ended the way it did – with the good guys not being hurt and the bad guy going down. But it's completely stupid to fight an armed thief over stuff that can be replaced.

This goes down another wa, and the story may include a coupel of dead family members.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
It's great that this particular story ended the way it did – with the good guys not being hurt and the bad guy going down.  But it's completely stupid to fight an armed thief over stuff that can be replaced.

This goes down another wa, and the story may include a coupel of dead family members.

could have went the other way yes....but their action probably prevented the tragedy. if the bad guys weren't wearing masks and could be identified then they were probably going to kill them whether they complied or not. To me...i'd much rather go down swinging

QUOTE(juddling @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
could have went the other way yes....but their action probably prevented the tragedy.  if the bad guys weren't wearing masks and could be identified then they were probably going to kill them whether they complied or not.  To me...i'd much rather go down swinging

That seems an odd bit of logic. These two guys were going to kill 4 people so they could steal some audio equipment.

Does every mugger not wearing a mask invariably kill his victims?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
That seems an odd bit of logic.  These two guys were going to kill 4 people so they could steal some audio equipment.

What's odd??? if they can be identified...why leave the victims alive??? Are they committing the crimes because deep down they have issues and they WANT to get caught??? i doubt it. Maybe they would have killed those people..maybe they wouldn't have..i can't say but if people break into my house and shove a gun in my face or (god forbid) the faces of my daughters...i am not going to assume that they aren't going to use it. unless you think i should respect their rights as US citizens and wait for them to shoot someone so i can be sure of their intentions

The audio stuff was not the reason to fight back. The reason was a gun pointed to your son's, daughter's and granddaughter's heads. I'm not for vigilante-ism, but if someone comes into my house and threatens my family, I'll do what I have to do.

Was it stupid? Probably. But, once his family was threatened, he probably lost all objectiveness.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
That seems an odd bit of logic.  These two guys were going to kill 4 people so they could steal some audio equipment.

Tookie Williams killed 3 people for $100. :huh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:07 AM)
Tookie Williams killed 3 people for $100.  :huh

If you can hang your hat on a sample size of 1 then you have a bright future as a tobacco lawyer.

You are less likely to be shot in an armed robbery if you give up your money or your stuff and don't fight the guy with a loaded gun pointed at you and your family.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
If you can hang your hat on a sample size of 1 then you have a bright future as a tobacco lawyer.

You are less likely to be shot in an armed robbery if you give up your money or your stuff and don't fight the guy with a loaded gun pointed at you and your family.

I'm just pointing that out because things do happen. There are bad mofo's out there, and this guy's kid had a gun pointed to his head.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
I'm just pointing that out because things do happen.  There are bad mofo's out there, and this guy's kid had a gun pointed to his head.

Agreed. And also agreed that the upsode to this story is the family was unharmed and the bad guy not so much.

I just cringe at the thought that a guy playing hero can exacerbate a situation and inadvertently put his familat at greater risk.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
Agreed.  And also agreed that the upsode to this story is the family was unharmed and the bad guy not so much.

I just cringe at the thought that a guy playing hero can exacerbate a situation and inadvertently put his familat at greater risk.

Also agreed.