Kyle Orton out for the season.....

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Neither one of them is worth a s*** if you ask me.

Grossman is the better of the two.

Bears need to get someone better next year though.

(Wait, don't they say that every year.)

What do people think about that Rivers kid in San Diego? Or do we need to keep our picks in order to get more CB depth, a good TE, etc? It looks like Brees is gonna be firmly entrenched at the QB slot for the Chargers. Somebody is going to wind up with this Rivers kid, as he's making way too much money to be a bench-warmer.

I know jack s*** until I get a chance to observe a guy on the NFL level & supplement my observations with statistics and what not. Rivers could suck uncontrollably for all I know.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
What do people think about that Rivers kid in San Diego?  Or do we need to keep our picks in order to get more CB depth, a good TE, etc?  It looks like Brees is gonna be firmly entrenched at the QB slot for the Chargers.  Somebody is going to wind up with this Rivers kid, as he's making way too much money to be a bench-warmer. 

I know jack s*** until I get a chance to observe a guy on the NFL level & supplement my observations with statistics and what not.  Rivers could suck uncontrollably for all I know.

Personally I would rather stick it out with Rex and Kyle and keep our picks to fill the needs you mentioned.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Doesn't matter, The bears still have Ron Turner ..ak John shoop at the helm of the offense. Grossman full skills will never be used until Shoop v2 is gone.

i don't think he's that bad

Kramer seemed to do OK with Turner: "In 1995, with Erik Kramer at QB, the Bears set a team record for passing yards per game with 233.9 while compiling the fourth-most points in team history with 392. Kramer set club records with 29 TD passes (most) and 10 INTs (least among 16-game starters)"

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Doesn't matter, The bears still have Ron Turner ..ak John shoop at the helm of the offense. Grossman full skills will never be used until Shoop v2 is gone.

Well here's the thing: I'm not sure that the Chargers can get too much in return for Rivers. They likely can't get more than a 2 from the bad teams because the Lions, Jets, Ravens, etc. aren't going to part with a top 10 pick for Rivers. They would likely only offer that high 2. Will the Bears have to go with their low #1 to acquire him? Perhaps as the Dolphins might wish to trump their offer with a pick around 12-18. Saban might not want to deal the pick however. It would seem that the Bears late 2 won't get it done so you'd have to think about dealing the #1 which always is a tough pill to swallow. The one disadvantage is that unlike a draft choice you can't work Rivers out first to test his arm strength in our wind conditions. Its not an easy call but I think you have to look at it (although I think the Bears stand pat at the QB position). BTW, the Broncos proved that you can add depth to the DB position without a #1 by taking WIlliams, Paymah, and Foxworth. The Bears could probably use one of those round picks to get some depth

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
What do people think about that Rivers kid in San Diego?  Or do we need to keep our picks in order to get more CB depth, a good TE, etc?  It looks like Brees is gonna be firmly entrenched at the QB slot for the Chargers.  Somebody is going to wind up with this Rivers kid, as he's making way too much money to be a bench-warmer. 

I know jack s*** until I get a chance to observe a guy on the NFL level & supplement my observations with statistics and what not.  Rivers could suck uncontrollably for all I know.

Rivers is going to be a good ballplayer. He's an unconventional QB of sorts. Unless he's really refined his mechanics, that was really his only true knock coming out of the college game. The skills are there. He has what it takes upstairs. All signs point towards a pretty nice run in the league.

I don't know if I'm as positive the Chargers will be bringing back Drew Brees as you are, though. If they can't find the right package for Rivers, they'll be more than happy to bid farewell to Brees and let Rivers take over. It might not be the popular move, but, that's a move they could very well make.

Personally, I wouldn't give up the package to get him. Hell, I'd love to be the team to land Brees--he's proven(period). Barring any other sort of collapse at the QB position, I think you'll see the Bears let Orton and Grossman duke it out in a battle of the junior varsity quarterbacks in camp. If Angelo is able to get the right veteran backup in here next year, he will have bought himself another year or two before he has to dip back into the draft for some "young, promising talent."

Let's see how Sexy Rexy does in these next few games. If he is able to lead the squad and put some points on the boards in the playoffs, he will have earned a shot to be this team's qb in 06-07.

I can see a team like the Ravens or maybe the Titans go after Rivers. IMO, he just doesn't seem like a significant upgrade. What he brings to the table is very similar to a healthy UF Rex Grossman.

Rivers is as unproven if not more so than Grossman/Orton so I think its almost pointless dealing for him. If Brees was up for trade id be all over that but like you said San Diego would be crazy to do that.

What id do is let the same 3 QB's begin the season next year. Grossman, Orton, and Blake...... If Grossman goes down Orton should improve and we will find out if we have an actual future with him at QB and if Grossman stays healthy I think he is a good NFL QB.

If Grossman injures himself again though for the season and Orton still completely sucks.... Than do what you can to grab either Vick or Quinn in the draft.

For what it's worth, I feel the Bears are going to hold on to that pick and grab the TE from UCLA, Lewis. He is one hell of a football player--a freak. He has WR talent in a TE's body.

If he's already off the board, and he very well may be, I'd still like them to look at the TE position and draft one of my highest-ranked sweethearts this year in the 6'7 Pope from UGA.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)

Kramer seemed to do OK with Turner: "In 1995, with Erik Kramer at QB, the Bears set a team record for passing yards per game with 233.9 while compiling the fourth-most points in team history with 392. Kramer set club records with 29 TD passes (most) and 10 INTs (least among 16-game starters)"

:notworthy

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
:notworthy

Yeah, I'm not quite sure where he's been going all season with the Tuner-Shoop compairisons. Turner is leagues above what Shoop brought to the table.

He's been doing a fine job this year, he's done a nice job given the talent at the QB position. You'll see him open up the passing game in the weeks to come with Grossman on board. Just you watch. It'll be a different game plan. Jones is going to get his carries on first down, but he'll be much more willing to pass the football on second and third downs now.

Shoop had Miller do good for one year as well.. Look at the number of 93,94,96 then look at the numbers shoop was the OC.. Same stats.. the numbers don't lie.. Fire Turner NOW.

For those bashing Turner just look at the 3rd quarter.  When he had Grossman passing our offense had no trouble moving against a pretty good Falcons defense.  In the 4th with the lead we had all the offense was doing was running out the clock so cant really count that against him.

In The Detriot game Orton look like manning what is your point?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Shoop had Miller do good for one year as well.. Look at the number of 93,94,96 then look at the numbers shoop was the OC.. Same stats.. the numbers don't lie.. Fire Turner NOW.

In 93 Harbough was QB and he had a bad season. Maybe Turners fault, maybe not.

in 94 Walsh was QB for most of the season.

in 96 Kramer was injured. Dave Kreig had a decent year under the system (he was like 40 years old too). Steve Stenstrum and Shane Matthews combined for 3 starts as well.

There will always be some bitterness towards Turner, and IMO understandably so, for what he did to the Illinois Football Program, and to be specific how quickly the team went from Sugar Bowl to s*** in a Bowl.

However, there is a big difference between running a college football program, and running an offense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101