Contreras News

KevHead0881

Contreras doesn't like 1st offer

In addition, it's not axiomatic that the Sox and pitcher Jose Contreras will strike an extension soon.

Jaime Torres, Contreras' agent, said Monday he wasn't encouraged by the White Sox's initial offer to keep him past 2006.

"We have to look at today's market," Torres said.

That's cause for concern among the Sox, who have 16 players under contract at about $83 million for 2006 but want to stabilize their rotation for the future in an escalating market.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:22 AM)
In today's market, anyone that thought this would be an easy negotiation was being naive.

That's what makes me worry a little bit about the Thome trade. The trade certainly makes us a better team for 2006, but -- we had a real good shot of having another possible league minimum, good pitcher ready for 2007 -- just incase it played out that Garland and Contreras didn't sign.

The opportunity is still there, with Liotta, Broadway, and to a much lesser extent, Haeger.

That's why this upcoming Contreras/Garland trade is so key. The Sox NEED to get a top prospect in return for the SP.

Offhand -- the PCL is a pitcher's league, right? I've been looking at Texas' prospects, and a guy like Ian Kinsler might make sense. If they were still looking into that mega Crede + Garland for Blalock deal, it might make sense to (instead of Wilkerson) add two guys like Kinsler + Danks/Diamond.

The Sox will pay Mark B. $10 + million soon and have no regrets about it. Garland has issues in that we don't know if he had one good year and will go back to mediocrity. Jose, we don't know how old he is, whether his age will affect him and if he just got hot in the second half. Mark is a workhorse, who you know will give you 16-20 wins, 3.00 - 3.50 ERA and tons of innings. He is the only one I would think of giving the huge money to.

Edited by maggsmaggs

agreed maggsmaggs

Also freddy garcia - hes ozzies like brother in law? or something?

he has to be staying..

if theirs any "hometown discount" that would be it.

you get him, and buehrle (who well prolly be 10+ mil) and then get b-mac and have vazquez for a while you get 4 good pitchers for a while.

and then whatever we decide to do with jon/jose is the next key to the treasure box.

Personally, if Jose wants $10-12 million per year for the next 2-3 years, then I would rather give Jon Garland $12-13 for the next 4 years, although I don't really want to do that. When Jarrod Washburn get $10 million per year for 4 years, Garland is gonna be frickin rich next year.

Just think about Colon and Washburn are making the same money, that is frickin sick. Workhorses in the majors are underrated, Colon >>>>>> Washbrun.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Agreed maggs once again.

Ive always thought jon wud be an easy resign, up until this offseason.

But hes young, he knows the team from his experience, hes just on the verge of stardom, id be willing to give him the contract extension over contreras. Just to have our pitchers locked up for the next years..

but its really up top garland, if he doesnt wanna be here.. then theirs no use in trying.

Stupid teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Rangers (back to A-Rod) have to screw up the market for everyone. No one should blame A-Rod, Burnett, Ryan and now Garland for their reasons to test free agency b/c one stupid team will give them the moon and more. The ironic thing is the teams that do this and overspend never win. Case and point, the Rangers have sucked since A-Rod, the Yankees haven't won squat since abondaning their farm system. The Red Sox won but they had reasonable contracts (except Manny) like Ortiz who was making $6 million per year.

"I didn't want to break the bank," said Pierzynski, who will earn $4 million in 2006 and $5.5 million in 2007 and 2008. "What I got is plenty enough. It worked out well both ways. The White Sox were honest from Day One."

Why can't more players be like A.J. signing a good deal for himself and the team b/c he likes where he is at.

we must realize that this is a very tiny blurb in a trib article. there is no evidence that there is any truth to it.

i see something in the future... hmmm, my crystal ball says contreras signs for 9 million a seaon over 3 years (27 million). thats what i feel.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
we must realize that this is a very tiny blurb in a trib article.  there is no evidence that there is any truth to it.

Uummm...

Jaime Torres, Contreras' agent, said Monday he wasn't encouraged by the White Sox's initial offer to keep him past 2006.

"We have to look at today's market," Torres said.

...unless the Trib is just pulling this info out of their ass, or Jaime Torres isn't Contreras' real agent, sounds pretty legit to me.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 05:15 AM)
Only if Birmingham is considered a hitter's paradise. The PCL is notorious for inflating offensive stats, especially in Albequerque.

Thanks for the clarification. I had doubts right after I posted it.

That lessens my opinion on Kinsler a lot -- his PCL debut certainly wasn't very impressive.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
but its really up top garland, if he doesnt wanna be here.. then theirs no use in trying.

it's very easy to read this as "he doesnt wanna be here." but what it is... is simply Garland trying to get his market value. he's a young pitcher coming off a career year. what he wants is to play here, for the money he has coming.

you can be annoyed by the Blue Jays contracts all you want, but face facts that prices go up. that's just what happens.

think back to all those rotations in between Black Jack and Buehrle. Reinsdorf was very unwilling to commit big money to the rotation. that's a big part of what held us back. in recent years, we've locked up a few guys at (what was then) top dollar. to some extent, all these guys got to work with Coop for a long time before this ring. we've seen what just being comfortable can do for a pitcher like Contreras... and you could say the same for Freddy too.

so, in short, if Jerry can't adapt to the changing salaries for pitchers, he shouldnt be a baseball owner (again, not that he's officially gone one way or another yet). it's the same thing we say about Royals/Pirates type spending... so we have to hold our own management...even in these happy times...to that same standard, no?

and while i believe all this, i'll still say that i'd prefer a 2 yr contract to Contreras than something huge for Jon. but lets call it what it is, and not demonize Jon. he wants his value, and he'll get it somewhere.

Edited by Princess Dye

Both these guys just want market value. Don't blame them, blame teams like the Blue Jays and Mets who have inflated the price over the years. The days of #2 or #3 starters signing for under 10 mil isn't happening. We got lucky with Freddy Garcia.

You're probably looking at 13 mil at the least for a guy like Garland. Contreras will be somewhere between 10 and 12.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
The Sox will pay Mark B. $10 + million soon and have no regrets about it.  Garland has issues in that we don't know if he had one good year and will go back to mediocrity.  Jose, we don't know how old he is, whether his age will affect him and if he just got hot in the second half.  Mark is a workhorse, who you know will give you 16-20 wins, 3.00 - 3.50 ERA and tons of innings.  He is the only one I would think of giving the huge money to.

I always consider the PCL a hitters league, but I may be wrong.

:gosox4: At Contreras' age, I would consider a two year deal for him and maybe a option year. Regardless it's going to take alot of $$$$ to sign any of these starters now. I would make a guess that Contreras is about 35 or so. :gosoxretro: Edited by whitesox1976