Contreras News

KevHead0881

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Daily Southtown reports that the next White Sox announcement may be Contreras' contract extension.  Cowley indicated talks heated up Monday afternoon.

:) You made me feel much better. :P Hopefully it happens, like I said earlier I really want Jose back here for the next 3 years, the guy is just going to be a flat out stud imo for atleast the next 2-3 years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of Jose's biggest detractors on the site. He always had the million dollar arm and the ten cent head.

He proved me wrong, and I hope he is a member of the whitesox for a long time. 94-96 with control and that splitter, he can win 17-20 games this year if he puts it together for an entire year. Hopefully Coop can do whatever he did with Conteras and do it with Vasquez.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Daily Southtown reports that the next White Sox announcement may be Contreras' contract extension.  Cowley indicated talks heated up Monday afternoon.

No big surprise there... I think the Sox tried to get him on the cheap, but it didn't work. Now they are coming back with their real offer and are going to get something done quickly. With Garland obviously wanting to get the big payday, Contreras getting a deal done is vital for the Sox, and I think Contreras controlling his playing situation makes it almost as important to him.

Its a marriage made on the Southside.

11749617.jpg

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/201sd6.htm

According to one Sox source, Garland already has turned down a three-year offer and could be shopped since Vazquez is on board.

The next announcement from the Sox, however, likely will be about a contract extension for starting pitcher Jose Contreras. A source told the Daily Southtown last week that the two sides had been talking about an extension, and the source said Monday that talks had heated up.

Contreras is eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season, and the Sox want to prevent that from happening.

Contreras is going to be here for 2006 and beyond. The Sox made a low-ball offer, the Contreras camp complained to the media and rebutted with some pie-in-the-sky offer, and now the two sides will actually try to get something done.

I don't understand the worry.

Seems pretty par for the course.

Remember, folks, that Paul Konerko's agent said the Sox' first offer was subpar. Stop freaking out. It is just negotiating. Who can blame Jose for trying to get his worth from the Sox? After all, at his age, this next contract will likely be his last remaining big payday, and he's still catching up to other big leaguers after spending most of his pitching career in Cuba.

I think at the end of the day, Jose will sign because he loves Ozzie and Coop and feels at home in Chicago. The Sox are just going to have to pay him a fair salary in today's market to make it so.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
When Jarod Washburn signs a 4 year deal that averages over $9M per and he's only won more than 11 games one time, you know the price of pitching is at a premium.

Garland wants all this money and he gets arbitration this year. When in fact if he's traded now he can get mo money that what we are willing to pay him. If we keep him until the trading deadline other contending teams will be paying us big money to take him off our hands and be giving us more in the way of prospects than before spring training..........If we keep him that long we can make sure McCarthy is ready and another minor league prospect has that much longer to prepare for his mlb debut................

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Garland wants all this money and he gets arbitration this year.  When in fact if he's traded now he can get mo money that what we are willing to pay him.  If we keep him until the trading deadline other contending teams will be paying us  big money to take him off our hands and be giving us more in the way of prospects than before spring training..........If we keep him that long we can make sure McCarthy is ready and another minor league prospect has that much longer to prepare for his mlb debut................

What if Garland strikes gold in arbitration and the other teams know we want to dump that salary? I say trade him now.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
What if Garland strikes gold in arbitration and the other teams know we want to dump that salary?  I say trade him now.

yasny, I'm not sure how the arbitration works but If i remember correctly it is usually lower than their face value. MY guess although i can't site any examples and to find an example as close to garland scenario. I'd say 6-8 mil. One good year does not a contract make...

Do whatever it takes, within reason, to sign them both. If AJ Burnett got $55M for five years, both Jose and Jon are worth $11M per year. Give Jose a 2 year extension at $11M per, and sign Garland for 4 years/$45M.

I'd rather lose position players than pitchers. Pitching won us the World Series, and Jose & Jon are two of the best in the business.