For those over 30...

Steff

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking

twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways .. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...

I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy!

I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card

catalog!!

There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter ... with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it

would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around

all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! ! ;We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and

"asteroids" and the graphics sucked azz! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting

harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! ... Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat

sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book

called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your azz and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network

either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-ba******!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up . we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire ... imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that Stupid JiffyPop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled.

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

:P

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! ! ;We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and

"asteroids" and the graphics sucked azz! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting

I still remember the commercial for the new Atari that featured a "pause" switch. The phone rang or the doorbell rang and the guy just flipped a switch and paused the game. How f***ing awesome! :headbang :lol:

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking

twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways .. yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...

I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy!

I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card

catalog!!

There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter ... with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it

would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around

all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat

sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book

called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your azz and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network

either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-ba******!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up . we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire ... imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that Stupid JiffyPop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled.

You had me up until the no cartoons or microwaves part. I seem to remember cartoons on nickelodean and on regular cable after school every day. Sesame street has been around at least that long.

This is going to turn into one of those "you know you're getting old" threads isn't it?

I still remember when arcade games all cost a quarter...

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
You had me up until the no cartoons or microwaves part. I seem to remember cartoons on nickelodean and on regular cable after school every day. Sesame street has been around at least that long.

This is going to turn into one of those "you know you're getting old" threads isn't it?

IWC, Sesame Street has been around since 1968 i believe......... :P

Not only do i remember video arcade games costing only a quarter, but i also remember when you could get one play on a pinball machine for a dime, and 3 for a quarter........ :D

DAMN, i must be getting old! :lol:

:gosox1:

:cheers

Edited by SoCalSouthSider59

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)

When I was into cartoons they were only on Saturday's. Sesame Street was on during the day when I was in school.

And we didn't have a microwave until I was old enough to use it. The point was that "kids" today don't know any different as they were born with those things.

I didn't write this either.. but it applies to me in many ways.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
When I was into cartoons they were only on Saturday's. Sesame Street was on during the day when I was in school.

And we didn't have a microwave until I was old enough to use it. The point was that "kids" today don't know any different as they were born with those things.

I didn't write this either.. but it applies to me in many ways.

I see it with my three kids everyday. My oldest thinks nothing of jumping on the computer and talking to her friends via instant messages or message boards. (Gee, wonder where she got that from? :rolly)

Back when I wanted to talk to my friend I had to ride my bike the four blocks to knock on his door because every time I called him his mom was on the damn phone and they didn't have call waiting. :D

YES!!!

and if we wanted to play baseball...we went outside and got as many of us as we could and played baseball. We didn't pop in the newest MLB game on PS2 or Xbox or whatever, we got our mits and played!! Same goes for Football, Basketball, Soccer, etc...

and the biggest thing missing from the list is cell phones. Every fricken kid has one of those now and I mean every one. Hell...most kids in high school have a blackberry or some kind of PDA.

If we were out and wanted to make a call back in the day, it was pay phone time. If you wanted to talk in your car, you had to have a gas station with those phones you can pull up next to.

good times

I remember riding my bike four miles to my friend's with record albums under my arm that we would borrow from each other constantly.

And I had a rotary phone as a kid. It sounded better than my parents cordless does now. The one they have in the bedroom still does.

I used to play on my Commodore Vic 20 and screw Sim City, I had lego.

I was one of those kids that hung out in the library after school til my Mom got home from work to pick me up.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
I remember riding my bike four miles to my friend's with record albums under my arm that we would borrow from each other constantly.

And I had a rotary phone as a kid. It sounded better than my parents cordless does now. The one they have in the bedroom still does.

I was one of those kids that hung out in the library after school til my Mom got home from work to pick me up.

See what happens when you let your kids hang around with those dang librarians.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
YES!!!

and if we wanted to play baseball...we went outside and got as many of us as we could and played baseball.  We didn't pop in the newest MLB game on PS2 or Xbox or whatever,  we got our mits and played!!  Same goes for Football, Basketball, Soccer, etc...

and the biggest thing missing from the list is cell phones.  Every fricken kid has one of those now and I mean every one.  Hell...most kids in high school have a blackberry or some kind of PDA. 

If we were out and wanted to make a call back in the day, it was pay phone time.  If you wanted to talk in your car, you had to have a gas station with those phones you can pull up next to. 

good times

and boy did it suck when you could only find three other kids to play baseball with. One pitcher and one infielder/outfielder just doesn't work...

I think cell phones are almost a necessary evil anymore. It's a great way to keep track of someone and the new ICE (in case of emergency) idea is probably a big help in accidents and such...

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)

We all tried to hang out at the ONE kids house who's mom worked and wasn't home after school....

nowadays, I bet that would be 9 out of 10 kids homes after school.

You tell 'em Grandma!! :P

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
If you wanted to talk in your car, you had to have a gas station with those phones you can pull up next to. 

good times

Oh hell yes... we thought that was the coolest thing too. :lolhitting We'd rrive around... "hmm.. who can we call.. ??" LOL