Dodgers sign Kenny Lofton

SSH2005

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/m...xt=.jsp&c_id=la

LOS ANGELES -- Adding what appears to be the final piece of the lineup's extreme makeover, the Dodgers on Tuesday signed free agent Kenny Lofton to a one-year contract to bat second behind new leadoff hitter Rafael Furcal and play center field.
Lofton, who earned $3.1 million in 2005, the last year of a two-year deal, will receive a $3.5 million base, $350,000 signing bonus with $50,000 incentives for 350, 400 and 450 plate appearances.

Wow, that's quite a bit of money for Lofton.

Interesting moves for the Dodgers this offseason. Allthough in that division it likely won't take a ton to be competitive.

Another sidenote is this could take away another barganing leverage from Boras and Damon, they were visiting the Dodgers and floating their name, I guess Lofton could play another OF position, but who knows.

Interesting moves for the Dodgers this offseason.  Allthough in that division it likely won't take a ton to be competitive.

Another sidenote is this could take away another barganing leverage from Boras and Damon, they were visiting the Dodgers and floating their name, I guess Lofton could play another OF position, but who knows.

I think their lineup is set.

Rafael Furcal SS

Kenny Lofton CF

J.D. Drew RF

Jeff Kent 2B

Nomar Garciaparra 1B

Jose Cruz LF

Bill Mueller 3B

Dioner Navarro C

They need another starting pitcher now.

This should be an interesting dodgers team next year, after getting nomar mueller and furcal and now add a possible leadoff man besides furcal the dodgers have basically locked up the division win, lofton should give this team experience in the postseason and some steals and hes good defensively

i like the move

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I think their lineup is set.

Rafael Furcal  SS

Kenny Lofton  CF

J.D. Drew  RF

Jeff Kent  2B

Nomar Garciaparra  1B

Jose Cruz  LF

Bill Mueller  3B

Dioner Navarro  C

They need another starting pitcher now.

I will be the first to go on record to say the Dodgers will suck with that line up. I'll bet that group misses 300 games next year between all of them.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Was about to say this.  There's a lot of potential for injury in that lineup so I can agree with you guys.

There is also the potential for some veteran ballplayers to achieve something. It doesn't happen all that often, as you get injuries and egos as part of the equation.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
There is also the potential for some veteran ballplayers to achieve something.  It doesn't happen all that often, as you get injuries and egos as part of the equation.

Still, when the Dodgers started last season, you could have looked at that team with ease and said "this team dumped a ton of money on people who will spend half the year on the DL"

Right now, you can probably say exactly the same thing. The only difference? Coletti doesn't want these guys for the long term, and he's probably expecting them to hit the DL. He's just hoping they stay healthy long enough that their prospects can have another year or two in the minors.

Terrible move if you ask me. I liked the Mueller, Furcal, and Nomar moves, but this made absolutely no sense. Kenny Lofton is over the hill and overrated defensively. They should have just kept Marquis Grissom when they had him if they were going to go in this direction. He would not be a very good #2 hitter, plus I thought that was Mueller's job. Isn't there a better RF option out there? They would then be able to move Drew to CF. That makes more sense to me.