Adam Eaton to Rangers

CanOfCorn

Personally, looking at this trade...I would say the Padres creamed the Rangers. Eaton is ok, but has been bitten lately, Otsuka is excellent.

Gonzalez and Young have huge upsides (especially Young, cuz, y'know, he's like 13 feet tall) and Sledge is serviceable.

Thats an interesting deal.  Young's got some solid stuff and we know a lot of people love Adrian Gonzalez as a prospect.  Rangers get two solid major league guys in return.  Sledge is supposed to be pretty solid as well.

I see how the addition of Otsuka helps the Rangers' bullpen but how does trading a talented young pitcher for another pitcher of similar quality help their rotation? And Young could be better than Eaton eventually. I don't get it.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I see how the addition of Otsuka helps the Rangers' bullpen but how does trading a talented young pitcher for another pitcher of similar quality help their rotation?  And Young could be better than Eaton eventually.  I don't get it.

Eaton at this stage of the game (when healthy) is a better pitcher than Young, imo. However, long term Young will probably be the better of the two. Otsuka was a stud in the pen.

Eaton at this stage of the game (when healthy) is a better pitcher than Young, imo.  However, long term Young will probably be the better of the two.  Otsuka was a stud in the pen.

I agree with you but I really think that the Padres robbed the Rangers in this trade.

Right now, Chris Young is at least equal to Adam Eaton. But he's also younger and will probably be better than Eaton in the future. Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge is worth more than Akinori Otsuka and a prospect, depending on the prospect of course.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
I see how the addition of Otsuka helps the Rangers' bullpen but how does trading a talented young pitcher for another pitcher of similar quality help their rotation?  And Young could be better than Eaton eventually.  I don't get it.

On the Rangers' board, their fans are really ticked off by this trade. They mentioned that Eaton will be a FA after 2006. How come the Padres were able to swing a deal with its soon-to-be-free-agent? Put them both on a scale, who is the better pitcher as of now, Eaton or Garland? Man, I wish we could swing a trade with the Rangers - Garland & Crede for Blalock and couple of their stud minor league pitchers!

The Padres really robbed the Rangers in this trade.

Right now, Chris Young is equal to Adam Eaton, he's younger, and will probably be better in the future.  Adrian Gonzalez and Terrmel Sledge is worth more than Akinori Otsuka and a prospect, depending on the prospect of course.

Being a Pads fan.. I LOVE THIS FA_KING deal..

Gonz should be up by end of this year or 07. Eaton IMO is going to get eaten alive pitching in Texas..

If the Pads get this for eaton just think what we can get for Garland.

Just wanted to point out that Eaton is 27, while Young is 26. Its not a huge age difference.

The big problem with Eaton is injury issues. I think the Pads made this move for Gonzalez and obviously the Rangers want to bolster there staff and they must think Eaton is going to be healthy (and obviously they've really bolstered the pen).

It does look to me like the Rangers gave up quite a bit though.

Just wanted to point out that Eaton is 27, while Young is 26. Its not a huge age difference. 

The big problem with Eaton is injury issues.  I think the Pads made this move for Gonzalez and obviously the Rangers want to bolster there staff and they must think Eaton is going to be healthy (and obviously they've really bolstered the pen).

Unless the prospect that the Rangers are receiving from the Padres is extremely good, I'd have to agree.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Eaton at this stage of the game (when healthy) is a better pitcher than Young, imo.  However, long term Young will probably be the better of the two.  Otsuka was a stud in the pen.

I like this trade a lot more for the Rangers. Their pen could be pretty solid next year and it wasn't this year. Another puzzling move to me by Kevin Towers who I always liked

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)

If the Rangers are willing to give up that much for Eaton and Otsuka, we should be able to get Josh Rupe (starter in '07), CJ Wilson (left out of the bullpen in '06) and Ian Kinsler (utility 2B/SS in '07 when we let Ozuna walk) for Jon Garland. Kinsler can take over for Tadahito in '08 or battle it out with Getz if he is ready.

That does seem like a really high price to pay for a mediocre starter and a fairly old relief pitcher that wasn't that good this year. Gonzalez is obviously thought of as a stud prospect, Young is a decent young starter, and Sledge might be a half-decent OF. Maybe the Rangers are getting a prospect of some note back, otherwise it looks somewhat iffy.

The prospect is minor-league catcher Billy Killian...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5184050

The Rangers made a major move to bolster their pitching Tuesday, reaching a tentative agreement to acquire right-handed starter Adam Eaton, right-handed setup man Akinori Otsuka and minor-league catcher Billy Killian from the Padres for right-handed starter Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge, FOXSports.com has confirmed.