Adam Eaton to Rangers

CanOfCorn

This trade makes no sense for both sides.

Texas trades easily their best starter for a seriously overhyped pitcher in Eaton, a worthless prospect (who used steroids nonetheless) in Sledge and a reliever with a WHIP of 1.4.

And the Padres get Young, another overhyped prospect (Gonzalez) and a very low level prospect. Even if the Pads flip Gonzalez for Wells, it still isn't a trade that will make the Pads better than the Dodgers.

Awful trade for Texas, merely a bad one for San Diego.

Anyone willing to speculate perhaps the Rangers will swing Otsuka in a trade package for Garland? Likely not, but still, if the choice is maintain Otsuka to solidify the bullpen, or trade for Garland to build the rotation, what choice would be more reasonable?

And I hope this trade package proves to all those who continue to profess Garland is a free agent following next season, and we're not going to get much for him, WRONG. Including Joe Credw with Garland, I'd expect an even greater package than the one San Diego received. No excuses.

Anyone willing to speculate perhaps the Rangers will swing Otsuka in a trade package for Garland? Likely not, but still, if the choice is maintain Otsuka to solidify the bullpen, or trade for Garland to build the rotation, what choice would be more reasonable?

I wouldn't want a 34 year old reliever with a 1.42 WHIP being the major leaguer in return for Garland.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
I wouldn't want a 34 year old reliever with a 1.42 WHIP being the major leaguer in return for Garland.

What Otsuka provides is a major league ready replacement for Marte and Vizcaino. His WHIP total is heavily distorted by walks--which is obviously due to his ackward delivery. I'd place faith in Cooper lowering his walk totals. He's cheap, doesn't surrender many homeruns (which I'm sure may be due to Petco), has had success against LHH, and featured an effecient GB/FB ratio. What more do you want?

If Dodgers are unwilling to provide a better package, I wouldn't be hurt if we traded Garland/Crede for Blalock/Otsuka/Prospect

Edited by Flash Tizzle

What Otsuka provides is a major league ready replacement for Marte and Vizcaino. His WHIP total is heavily distorted by walks--which is obviously due to his ackward delivery. I'd place faith in Cooper lowering his walk totals. He's cheap, doesn't surrender many homeruns (which I'm sure may be due to Petco), has had success against LHH, and featured an effecient GB/FB ratio. What more do you want?

If Dodgers are unwilling to provide a better package, I wouldn't be hurt if we traded Garland/Crede for Blalock/Otsuka/Prospect

Sorry dude, I wasn't thinking. I forgot that the Rangers are the ones getting Otsuka. In that case, I would take the deal you mentioned -- Blalock, Otsuka, and a good pitching prospect for Garland and Crede. It would have to be a pretty good pitching prospect though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
If the Rangers are willing to give up that much for Eaton and Otsuka, we should be able to get Josh Rupe (starter in '07),  CJ Wilson (left out of the bullpen in '06) and Ian Kinsler (utility 2B/SS in '07 when we let Ozuna walk) for Jon Garland.  Kinsler can take over for Tadahito in '08 or battle it out with Getz if he is ready.

I puke at that offer. That would be a terrible deal, imo.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)

Texas trades easily their best starter for a seriously overhyped pitcher in Eaton, a worthless prospect (who used steroids nonetheless) in Sledge and a reliever with a WHIP of 1.4.

When did Sledge get busted for roids?

San Diego's bullpen is really not going to be that good in 2006. They've lost this production;

Chris Hammond; 5-1, 3.84 ERA

Akinori Otsuka; 2-8, 3.59 ERA

Rudy Seanez; 7-1, 2.69 ERA

To replace them, so far they've only signed Doug Brocail who had a 5.52 ERA for Texas. They'll really need Scott Linebrink to have another really damn good season (8-1, 1.83 ERA), otherwise it could be worse.

I do like the Gonzalez acquisition for them though. He should fit well in that park, as he's not a major power hitter, but he'll hit for a very good average with about 15-20 HR's. That's of course if they decide to keep him, or trade him for David Wells. Getting Chris Young for Adam Eaton was another good move in this current market for starting pitching.

But Texas fills another bullpen need, and they may decide to try and lock up Eaton on a 3 to 4 year deal possibly. So it's a pretty even trade IMHO.

• 3 years later...
QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)

And the Padres get Young, another overhyped prospect (Gonzalez) and a very low level prospect. Even if the Pads flip Gonzalez for Wells, it still isn't a trade that will make the Pads better than the Dodgers.

Awful trade for Texas, merely a bad one for San Diego.

Awesome.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-heirdog+Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM-->
QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
<!--QuoteEBegin-->If the Rangers are willing to give up that much for Eaton and Otsuka, we should be able to get Josh Rupe (starter in '07),  CJ Wilson (left out of the bullpen in '06) and Ian Kinsler (utility 2B/SS in '07 when we let Ozuna walk) for Jon Garland.  Kinsler can take over for Tadahito in '08 or battle it out with Getz if he is ready.

I puke at that offer. That would be a terrible deal, imo.

LMAO Jas, would you still puke at that deal considering Kinsler was the throw in?

QUOTE (Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Chisoxfn+Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:06 PM-->
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
<!--QuoteEBegin-->Eaton at this stage of the game (when healthy) is a better pitcher than Young, imo.  However, long term Young will probably be the better of the two.  Otsuka was a stud in the pen.

I like this trade a lot more for the Rangers. Their pen could be pretty solid next year and it wasn't this year. Another puzzling move to me by Kevin Towers who I always liked

Puzzling move by Towers...;)

Edited by iamshack