Yankees sign Octavio Dotel

SSH2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5182962

Free-agent reliever Octavio Dotel has signed with the Yankees, FOXSports.com has learned.

In 15 games with the A's in 2005, Dotel saved seven games and held opposing hitters to a .185 batting average.

It was the second move New York has made this off-season to bolster the bullpen behind closer Mariano Rivera. Earlier, the Yankees signed Kyle Farnsworth to a three-year, $17 million deal.

Where the hell was Williams during negotiations? It's not as if we're stocked with relief pitching.

New York must be offering Dotel the largest possible amount if he meets certain stipulations. So much for "flying under the radar" and offering him a minor league deal.

Dotel said he doesn't think he will be able to pitch until midseason. The Yankees have the money to toss around.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Where the hell was Williams during negotiations? It's not as if we're stocked with relief pitching.

New York must be offering Dotel the largest possible amount if he meets certain stipulations. So much for "flying under the radar" and offering him a minor league deal.

Um, if the Yankees are offering a major league deal to him, why would he accept your offer? Just because we don't sign or trade for a guy doesn't mean weren't interested or made an offer to him.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)

:huh:

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Dotel said he doesn't think he will be able to pitch until midseason.  The Yankees have the money to toss around.

Hmph, when his surgery happened last year they were saying he'd be gone for the full 06 season. Must be some sort of accelerated healing, I guess.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Dotel said he doesn't think he will be able to pitch until midseason.  The Yankees have the money to toss around.

If Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson have shown other teams across the league anything, it's signing a pitcher recovering from injury is a low risk/high reward move. This happens last year or two years ago, I guarantee the Yankees don't offer Dotel anything.

I'm interested in the possible amount Dotel could earn, and how much he receives upfront. Makes you wonder how much Gagne would receive if he were available to pitch right now.

If Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson have shown other teams across the league anything, it's signing a pitcher recovering from injury is a low risk/high reward move. This happens last year or two years ago, I guarantee the Yankees don't offer Dotel anything.

I'm interested in the possible amount Dotel could earn, and how much he receives upfront. Makes you wonder how much Gagne would receive if he were available to pitch right now.

What did Scott Williamson do with the Cubs last season to show that? He was awful. I can agree with you on Dempster although he still gives up way too many baserunners. Of course, Dotel is better than both Dempster and Williamson.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Um, if the Yankees are offering a major league deal to him, why would he accept your offer?  Just because we don't sign or trade for a guy doesn't mean weren't interested or made an offer to him.

Soon as last week, it was speculated (as SSH said) he wouldn't pitch until midseason. Many here, including myself, thought offering Dotel a minor league deal, where he could recover, would be a smart decision.

Obviously, I'm not in on personal negotiations or close to assessing the health of his arm. Rotoworld alledged Indians, Rangers, Mets, Yankees were the teams bidding for Dotel. Did it mention the White Sox? No. I'll assume we didn't show interest until noted otherwise. Usually, that's how it works.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)

dotel no pitchy until mid-season, and who knows if he will be effective then? this is a yankee/cub move (scott williamson), not a white sox move.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
What did Scott Williamson do with the Cubs last season to show that?  He was awful.  I can agree with you on Dempster although he still gives up way too many baserunners.  Of course, Dotel is better than both Dempster and Williamson.

It's not the point of whether both recovered to become key bullpen contributers, it's that they're low risk, high reward pitchers. It doesn't matter whether Williamson is s***, because they practically paid nothing (in their terms) to rehab him. If he doesn't work out, fine; cut him.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Reportedly 1 year for 2 mil...

With the ability to earn 3 more in incentives

Octavio Dotel is expected to receive a base salary of $2 million and up to $3 million in bonuses under the terms of his one-year deal with the Yankees.

His deal contains an additional $2.5 million in bonuses based on games finished, though he probably won't achieve them unless he's traded. We'd like the signing more if an option for 2007 was included, but it's still a nice pickup for the Yankees.

Octavio Dotel (Rotoworld)

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
With the ability to earn 3 more in incentives

Octavio Dotel (Rotoworld)

Yeah I hate one year deals if you are only getting half a season at best because it might take half a season to get all the way back. A 2 year deal would have been better although Dotel probably wanted the one year so he can cash in as a closer in 06-07 offseason