Scrubs sign Jacque Jones

aboz56

QUOTE(shakes @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
They are talking about giving Pierre and extension, as well. Where is the prize Pie going to play. This team contradicts itself constantly. I love it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought that Pie was going to be in the majors this year.

This is great.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
That's exactly what I was thinking.  I thought that Pie was going to be in the majors this year. 

This is great.

With an outfield of Murton, Pierre, Jones...I still think Pie is going to be in the majors this year. Either one of those guys will badly dissappoint (or more than 1 of them) or Pie will be moved because Hendry thinks he has an outfield put together.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Next time you see a Cubs fan, you really want to ask, "Is this the best your team can do?"

I am almost feel sorry for Cubs fans ... almost ... though not quite.

Cubs STILL suck, just in a new and completely original way.

Haven't even had the need to talk smack to Cub fans this offseason. Whats going on is pretty self-explanatory. Most Cub fans I know are pretty upset about the current state of their franchise...as well as the current state of ours.

Life is good! :drink

Rob Neyer of ESPN completely called out Jim Hendry regarding the Jacque Jones signing in his latest article. Pretty funny stuff...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/col..._rob&id=2267243

And then there's Jacque Jones. I know the words above will draw a healthy response for those who consider me a "Yankee-hater" ... but hold your fire, because I've got some truly nasty things to say about Jim Hendry and Jacque Jones.

Last night, I read a long story about the Cubs signing Jones to a three-year deal worth $16 million. Honestly, the money is not a big deal. The Cubs can afford it. The problem is that Jones will, for the next three seasons, be in the lineup nearly every day (notwithstanding trade or injury). In this particular story, I "learned" that:

• According to Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, Jones has "a lot of upside in him" (he's going to be 31 next season);

• Jones is "patient at the plate" (his career high in walks, set last season, is 51);

• Hendry's scouts told him that Jones' struggles in the last two seasons were perhaps because "Jones tried to carry the Twins," who had to deal with injuries to key players such as Torii Hunter and Shannon Stewart.

On the other hand, here's what I learned in three minutes of quality time on the Interweb: Jones batted .300 in 2002 and '03 not because he was relaxed. He batted .300 because he was 27 and 28. He's not at all patient and figures to draw something like 40 walks in 150 games. The Cubs finished second in the National League last season with 194 home runs, but ranked just ninth in scoring. Why? Because their .324 on-base percentage ranked 11th in the league.

Jones' OBP over the last two seasons?

Jones is exactly the sort of player the Cubs don't need, and it's incredibly negligent of Hendry to ignore a fact so evident.