Damon signs with the Yankees

aboz56

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey redandwhite, what happened to Tony Graffanino being the Red Sox starting second baseman in 2006? He couldn't even find a starting job elsewhere. The only reason Boston offered him arbitration was because they wanted the draft pick.

Told ya so. ;)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Hey redandwhite, what happened to Tony Graffanino being the Red Sox starting second baseman in 2006?  He couldn't even find a starting job elsewhere.  The only reason Boston offered him arbitration was because they wanted the draft pick.

Told ya so.  ;)

he's under contract with the red sox and as of right now could very well be the starting second baseman. i don't follow?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
I was really going to be interested in what Soxtalks reaction was going to be to this. I also think its a great signing. NY needs a leadoff hitter, and a CF on top of that. Add that to taking away one of the cover boys for Boston.

Its the Yanks, who gives a s*** if they overpay.

Agreed. This is an exceptional move. Especially since Damon is a really good character individual as well. He's a hell of a hitter and it feels a big time need for the Yanks (leadoff hitter and CF).

he's under contract with the red sox and as of right now could very well be the starting second baseman.  i don't follow?

What about Mark Loretta? The only reason Boston offered Graffanino arbitration was because they wanted the draft pick if he signed elsewhere. Apparently, no other team was interested in giving him much money.

Dec. 19, 2005 - 1:21 am et

Tony Graffanino intends to accept Boston's offer of arbitration before Monday's deadline.

A disappointment for the Red Sox, who were looking forward to receiving the supplemental first-round pick if he signed elsewhere. Still, it's nothing that will handcuff them. Accepting arbitration will immediately make him a signed player. The Red Sox could then choose to trade him or cut him in spring training if they don't like whatever salary he earns through arbitration. Graffanino isn't much more than an emergency shortstop and he's too similar to Mark Loretta to be of a lot of use off the bench.

Source:  Boston Herald

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
a buddy of mines take who took the words out of my mouth:

Money doesn't matter to teams like the Yanks/BoSox. Plus considering what Furcal got, Damon is the superior player (although Furcal has upside and is younger) and kills two birds with one stone for the Yanks (CF and the top of the order).

The Red Sox will be reeling cause its not like there rotation is great (its improved from last year though, but that wouldn't take much).

Red Sox definately have some voids to fill. Especially since I don't happen to think Youkalis will be this great 3rd baseman (of course I love Marte, but I doubt he'll be up there at the start of the year).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Agreed. This is an exceptional move.  Especially since Damon is a really good character individual as well.  He's a hell of a hitter and it feels a big time need for the Yanks (leadoff hitter and CF).

Damon is a really good character individual? the guy is and always has been a phony.

He's been a very selfish person, someone whose looked out for his interests and noone elses from day one. he criticizes teammates and the organization when things aren't going his way, and showed no respect for red sox fans throughout this entire contractual process. he also cheated on his wife to put the cherry on top.

i am so glad that he is no longer a red sox, and even more happy that the yankees are throwing 13 million dollars at a player who will certainly decline in the next year or two.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
What about Mark Loretta?  The only reason Boston offered Graffanino arbitration was because they wanted the draft pick if he signed elsewhere.  Apparently, no other team was interested in giving him much money.

you do realize that rotoworld is just a group of people putting there opinion into there news reports? just like we do here...

the red sox could very well go into next season with loretta at short, and neener at second. although you are right, the red sox were looking to get a supplementary first round pick which no opposing team was willing to give up.

although i still don't get your point..

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Damon is a really good character individual?  the guy is and always has been a phony.

He's been a very selfish person, someone whose looked out for his interests and noone elses from day one.  he criticizes teammates and the organization when things aren't going his way, and showed no respect for red sox fans throughout this entire contractual process.  he also cheated on his wife to put the cherry on top.

a player who will certainly decline in the next year or two.

Would your tune be the same if Boston had resigned him...

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Money doesn't matter to teams like the Yanks/BoSox.  Plus considering what Furcal got, Damon is the superior player (although Furcal has upside and is younger) and kills two birds with one stone for the Yanks (CF and the top of the order).

The Red Sox will be reeling cause its not like there rotation is great (its improved from last year though, but that wouldn't take much). 

Red Sox definately have some voids to fill.  Especially since I don't happen to think Youkalis will be this great 3rd baseman (of course I love Marte, but I doubt he'll be up there at the start of the year).

money doesn't matter? thats just insanity.

it's to early to tell that the Red Sox will be reeling but as of right now, i couldnt be happier with the direction the red sox are taking, period.

you do realize that rotoworld is just a group of people putting there opinion into there news reports?  just like we do here...

the red sox could very well go into next season with loretta at short, and neener at second.  although you are right, the red sox were looking to get a supplementary first round pick which no opposing team was willing to give up.

although i still don't get your point..

I just remember during the ALDS that you said Graffanino would be the Red Sox starting second baseman in 2006 even after he booted that ball. I said that he wouldn't be and not just because he booted that ball but because he isn't really that good.

And I hope you were joking about the Red Sox starting Loretta at shortstop. That isn't going to happen. He hasn't played shortstop regularly since 2000. He will be at second base and Graffanino will be on the bench.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Would your tune be the same if Boston had resigned him...

i actually started a thread on sosh ousting damon. these were my thoughts on july 10th of this year:

Damon never shuts up... The Globe reports:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Sox caveman Johnny Damon, oblivious to the fact that it's really, really getting on our nerves, again promised to cut his hair and beard to conform to George Steinbrenner's dress code if he is picked up by the Yankees next year. ``Absolutely,'' Damon tells Sports Illustrated, ``I'd definitely abide by his rules.'' Johnny is, of course, a free agent after this season and seems committed to cutting, if necessary, despite the fact he claims women are always telling him, ``I'd just like to pull on your hair all night long.'' ``Sometimes they hit on me right in front of my wife!'' he says. ``I mean, women are relentless, man, relentless.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This threads purpose is to find out the chances that damon will finally be gone next year.

yes, my tune would be the same. i am so excited today, i am loving life.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
I just remember during the ALDS that you said Graffanino would be the Red Sox starting second baseman in 2006 even after he booted that ball.  I said that he wouldn't be and not just because he booted that ball but because he isn't really that good.

And I hope you were joking about the Red Sox starting Loretta at shortstop.  That isn't going to happen.  He hasn't played shortstop regularly since 2000.  He will be at second base and Graffanino will be on the bench.

i think i said graffanino would be starting at second base somewhere in the majors. again, its too early to tell anything, but ill admit my wrongdoing if he doesn't end up as a starting second baseman.

i think i said graffanino would be starting at second base somewhere in the majors.  again, its too early to tell anything, but ill admit my wrongdoing if he doesn't end up as a starting second baseman.

No wrongdoing involved. I was just surprised that you thought Graffanino was that good and that a big payroll team like Boston would go with him as their starting second baseman. And you really weren't serious about the Red Sox starting Loretta at shortstop, were you? :huh:

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
No wrongdoing involved.  I was just surprised that you thought Graffanino was that good and that a big payroll team like Boston would go with him as their starting second baseman.  And you really weren't serious about the Red Sox starting Loretta at shortstop, were you?  :huh:

if the season were to start tommorow, thats what the line-up would be. it's a definite possibility.

I thought it was funny that on the Dan Patrick show today,CNBC boy said the Yanks are better then the WS because Javier Vasquez is a bad Playoff pitcher and we lost El Duque. Well with this rotation,JV will not be a starter for us in the playoff.Just like Duque was not.

I also think Damon should bat 2nd. Jeter is the best leadoff hitter in MLB.