Damon signs with the Yankees

aboz56

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Its better than Anaheims.  Stoneman is incompetent. I don't think Boston has had a great off-season, but they have added to there rotation and should have Foulke back at 100%. 

For the record, as of now, I don't think either will make the playoffs.

explain how the red sox haven't had a good offseason, please.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Stoneman is incompetent.

He'd make a good assitant GM, or even the head of a scouting team, the Angels have been great with their farm system in the past few seasons to the point where it's loaded today.

That said, he just doesn't have the balls to make a major trade, giving up his young talent. He's basically the anti KW. And I know that really annoys you about him Jason. :lol:

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
the red sox lose a very easily replaced .806 ops at the leadoff spot, and pretty much nothing else offensively as of right now.  they have improved the bullpen immensely, and the rotation will be exceptional.

its far to early to guarantee anything, but the red sox will be a top five team in the american league next season.

Since when did OPS become an important stat for a leadoff hitter? By that reasoning, Scott Podsednik wasn't very good at all in 2005 (and Pods fans, please don't get me started on a Pods is great argument, even though I'm not his biggest backer).

The rotation will be exceptional? Better than the White Sox's rotation? You're relying on Josh Beckett to stay injury free, Tim Wakefield to pitch the same without his preferred catcher Doug Mirrabelli there, Matt Clement to prove his 2nd half was an anomaly, Curt Schilling to get back to his 2004 form and Bronson Arroyo to keep developing (I'm assuming Wells will be traded). A LOT of if's there.

I think that what people are arguing is that the downgrade in offense for the Red Sox (you've lost Damon, Renteria, Mueller) and could lose Manny on top of that, will probably be greater than the supposed improvement the Red Sox have made to their pitching.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
Since when did OPS become an important stat for a leadoff hitter? By that reasoning, Scott Podsednik wasn't very good at all in 2005 (and Pods fans, please don't get me started on a Pods is great argument, even though I'm not his biggest backer).

Not only that, how many other leadoff men had an OPS > .806 last season?

the red sox lose a very easily replaced .806 ops at the leadoff spot, and pretty much nothing else offensively as of right now.  they have improved the bullpen immensely, and the rotation will be exceptional.

its far to early to guarantee anything, but the red sox will be a top five team in the american league next season.

An .806 OPS is great production from the center field position. In comparison, Aaron Rowand had a .736 OPS last season. A trade for Coco Crisp (.810 OPS last season) would be one of the only feasible replacements for Damon's offensive production in center field. But I doubt Crisp will be traded now since the Indians failed to sign Nomar.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 06:07 AM)

The rotation will be exceptional? Better than the White Sox's rotation? You're relying on Josh Beckett to stay injury free, Tim Wakefield to pitch the same without his preferred catcher Doug Mirrabelli there, Matt Clement to prove his 2nd half was an anomaly, Curt Schilling to get back to his 2004 form and Bronson Arroyo to keep developing (I'm assuming Wells will be traded). A LOT of if's there.

I think that what people are arguing is that the downgrade in offense for the Red Sox (you've lost Damon, Renteria, Mueller) and could lose Manny on top of that, will probably be greater than the supposed improvement the Red Sox have made to their pitching.

ops isn't a very important statistic for a leadoff hitter, i was just simply saying his .806 ops could be replaced by a coco crisp or in other areas allowing a jeremy reed to take over in center. this point is moot anyways because damon is gone, and good riddance.

the white sox rotation is the best in baseball, i never even hinted that it would be better than the white sox. however, i think the rotation will be pretty darn good next year. beckett, schilling - there both can't miss talents. wakefield, although losing mirabelli may be a factor is one of the most consistent players in the game. two of arroyo, wells, and clement will be traded, and possibly all three.

the bullpen is complete, and i can't see papelbon not being up with the team next season, he could be in the rotation. again, its early.

also, consider whos been added. mark loretta - for a back-up catcher? andy marte for a guy who never settled down in boston? not paying 13 million a year for a guy of johnny damons caliber? boy has this offseason been good.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
An .806 OPS is great production from the center field position.  In comparison, Aaron Rowand had a .736 OPS last season.  A trade for Coco Crisp (.810 OPS last season) would be one of the only feasible replacements for Damon's offensive production in center field.  But I doubt Crisp will be traded now since the Indians failed to sign Nomar.

it sure is, but is it worth 13 million dollars over the next four years? an emphatic no should be the answer.

as for crisp, he'll be available. with these langerhans rumors and such, i think the red sox will almost certainly acquire crisp, and to be honest with you, i'd rather see jeremy reed.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
the white sox rotation is the best in baseball, i never even hinted that it would be better than the white sox.  however, i think the rotation will be pretty darn good next year.  beckett, schilling - there both can't miss talents.  wakefield, although losing mirabelli may be a factor is one of the most consistent players in the game.  two of arroyo, wells, and clement will be traded, and possibly all three. 

The Red Sox rotation is very good...IF Schilling of 2006 is as good as Schilling of 2004, and if Beckett of 2006 is as good as Beckett of 2003, and IF both Beckett and Schilling stay Healthy, which is honestly doubtful for both of them.

The Yankees' Rotation is the best in baseball if they ALL stay 100% healthy the entire season and pitch like they did during their best seasons. They won't. The Red Sox have the same worries...they have guys who are very good when 100% healthy and in shape, but the problem is not them pitching when healthy, it's them getting hurt and missing time or pitching while hurt.

it sure is, but is it worth 13 million dollars over the next four years?  an emphatic no should be the answer.

as for crisp, he'll be available.  with these langerhans rumors and such, i think the red sox will almost certainly acquire crisp, and to be honest with you, i'd rather see jeremy reed.

I'd rather have Crisp's offense and Reed's defense but since that isn't possible, I think I may rather have Reed as well. Crisp's defense probably isn't going to improve in center field while Reed already has an awesome glove and his offense will more than likely improve.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
ops isn't a very important statistic for a leadoff hitter, i was just simply saying his .806 ops could be replaced by a coco crisp or in other areas allowing a jeremy reed to take over in center.  this point is moot anyways because damon is gone, and good riddance.

the white sox rotation is the best in baseball, i never even hinted that it would be better than the white sox.  however, i think the rotation will be pretty darn good next year.  beckett, schilling - there both can't miss talents.  wakefield, although losing mirabelli may be a factor is one of the most consistent players in the game.  two of arroyo, wells, and clement will be traded, and possibly all three. 

the bullpen is complete, and i can't see papelbon not being up with the team next season, he could be in the rotation.  again, its early.

also, consider whos been added.  mark loretta - for a back-up catcher?  andy marte for a guy who never settled down in boston?  not paying 13 million a year for a guy of johnny damons caliber?  boy has this offseason been good.

If Schilling is healthy I like there rotation a lot more. However, I saw nothing out of Curt last year to show me that he was going to magically be better. I saw him planting and from what I've heard he was really having trouble everywhere he went.

When your a power pitcher, you can't afford to have a bad ankle. You get a lot of velocity from your leg strength and your ankle is what you use to push off and effectively get that strength from your legs. Curt wasn't able to do that last year and I don't know what would change for him to be able to do it this year.

Because of that his velocity was way down and his pitches were hanging up.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
If Schilling is healthy I like there rotation a lot more.  However, I saw nothing out of Curt last year to show me that he was going to magically be better.  I saw him planting and from what I've heard he was really having trouble everywhere he went.

When your a power pitcher, you can't afford to have a bad ankle.  You get a lot of velocity from your leg strength and your ankle is what you use to push off and effectively get that strength from your legs.  Curt wasn't able to do that last year and I don't know what would change for him to be able to do it this year.

Because of that his velocity was way down and his pitches were hanging up.

Curt is done.

I haven’t sat down and actually thought about the 06 Red Sox (cause I could care less about them) but now that I read some of the posts posted in this thread, I don’t see the Red Sox getting anywhere near being the AL East Division champs. And if their goal is to be the Wild Card winners every year, than that isn’t going to work this time. The AL has improved, for the exception of a couple of teams and one of those being the Red Sawx.

Right now, I'd have to agree with those who are ranking the Blue Jays above the Red Sox. They have really improved their team greatly.

Roy Halladay

A.J. Burnett

Gustavo Chacin

Josh Towers

Ted Lilly

That's a damn good rotation. Their bullpen is solid as well with Vinnie Chulk, Jason Frasor, Justin Speier, Pete Walker, and B.J. Ryan. Their offense is also much improved...

Frank Catalanotto LF

Russ Adams SS

Vernon Wells CF

Troy Glaus 3B

Lyle Overbay 1B

Shea Hillenbrand DH

Alex Rios RF

Gregg Zaun C

Aaron Hill 2B

The Blue Jays may have overpaid for most of their new acquisitions but they really had a great offseason. That's a better team than the Red Sox in my opinion.

Edited by SSH2005