Chad Johnson Planning Greatest Endzone Dance Ever

Bengals' Johnson planning new celebration

CINCINNATI -- Chad Johnson is dreaming of a whitetail Christmas.

The Bengals receiver suggested Tuesday that he has a special touchdown celebration planned for Cincinnati's game on Christmas Eve, one that will top his Riverdance, his end zone putt and his sideline proposal from earlier this season.

A surrogate reindeer, perhaps?

"On the highway, I hit a deer," Johnson said Tuesday, insisting he was serious and that the animal wasn't hurt. "I kept him. He's at home in the garage. I'm going to use him for the celebration this weekend. He's a prop. They might suspend me for the last game, but I think this one is worth it."

Even if Johnson is serious -- and, with him, there's no telling -- coach Marvin Lewis would certainly put his foot down. So Johnson's scheme may never get beyond the talking stage.

He wasn't joking about his desire to come up with a celebration that will keep fans talking long after the Bengals' last regular-season home game.

Fans in Detroit booed when he merely handed the ball to an official following his touchdown during a 41-17 victory Sunday that clinched the AFC North title. It was only the second time this season that he didn't celebrate a touchdown -- the other came when the officials needed time to decide if he had scored, spoiling the moment.

"But this Saturday, I'll be back to my old self," he said. "You can look forward to the celebration being part of something that has to do with Christmas. It's going to be fun. I might get in trouble, so I might as well let that out now. I might get in trouble for what I'm going to do, but it's worth it."

Johnson was excited by the thought of getting a deer into the end zone routine. His Riverdance brought him national attention as a hoofer. Now, he's fixated on hooves.

"This is going to be the greatest celebration of all time, man," he said. "I actually use an animal."

I, for one, can't wait.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is why people like Chad Johnson and it's the kind of thing that Terrell Owens doesn't get. They both do celebrations but totally different kinds of celebrations. The best way to describe the two is with a quote from Super Troopers . . .

-[Chad Johnson's] shenanigans are cheeky and fun!

-Yeah, and [Terrell Owens'] shenanigans are cruel and tragic.

-Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all.

-Evil shenanigans!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
See, this is why people like Chad Johnson and it's the kind of thing that Terrell Owens doesn't get. They both do celebrations but totally different kinds of celebrations. The best way to describe the two is with a quote from Super Troopers . . .

-Evil shenanigans!

:lolhitting :lolhitting

So many great lines in that movie.

- I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans

- Hey Farve, whats that restaurant you like with all the quirky stuff (something like that)

- You mean Shenanigans

- The guys hold out the pistol

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)

-Evil shenanigans!

I like TO on the field, and found his celebrations funny, it's just what he did off the field since the Super Bowl that makes him not charismatic in my book.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
I like TO on the field, and found his celebrations funny, it's just what he did off the field since the Super Bowl that makes him not charismatic in my book.

Agreed here. I actually liked TO until he decided to just be a complete moron and attack Mcnabb.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Agreed here.  I actually liked TO until he decided to just be a complete moron and attack Mcnabb.

Add me to that list.

What happened to these WR's? Did they actually hire Cedric the Entertainer as their Touchdown Boogey Coordinator?

Anyway, I can't wait to see what he does. I love Chad Johnson. I hope they don't suspend him though. It's not like he's flipping off the other team. He's doing it to entertain the fans.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Add me to that list.

What happened to these WR's? Did they actually hire Cedric the Entertainer as their Touchdown Boogey Coordinator?

Anyway, I can't wait to see what he does. I love Chad Johnson. I hope they don't suspend him though. It's not like he's flipping off the other team. He's doing it to entertain the fans.

I don't mind the end zone celebrations. Some of them are waaaaay overdone, though. Joe Horn planting the cell phone in the end zone - dumb. TO pretending he's a waiter - dumb. Chad Johnson breaking out the Riverdance and McNabb moonwalking - funny.

I used to really like TO, and I still think he's the be WR in football. Somehow, though, I think TO's suspension is kind of related to all of this celebrating. I think too many of these WRs have gotten so self absorbed and are looking forward to their next TD for the celebration (rather than for the six points). It's a case of their egos and the feedback/recognition being more important than the game.

I've read/heard it said that TO was initially angry with McNabb at the end of last season when McNabb said that the Eagles could win without Owens. What was McNabb supposed to do, say the season was over? It's not like he was wrong. They'd been to the championship in consecutive years without Owens. McNabb was just showing his faith in the rest of his teammates.

At this point, Chad Johnson hasn't lost perspective. He still says the right things about winning. Hopefully that will remain the case. Hopefully his celebration will be worth the buildup. Midgets would be good.

I wouldn't mind a guy "acting like he's been there before" every once in awhile, though, or giving the ball to one of his linemen to spike like Walter Payton used to do. Maybe I'm getting old.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
No, it wasn't. It was however one of the most pathetic displays in the history of sports though.

It depends if you like the cowboys or not....Obviously if your a cowboys fan in any sort you didnt like it but me not being a cowboys fan at all found it funny.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
It depends if you like the cowboys or not....Obviously if your a cowboys fan in any sort you didnt like it but me not being a cowboys fan at all found it funny.

I personally hate the Cowboys and I found nothing funny about it. Of course I've always been pretty big on sportsmanship and not showing up your oponents.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
That was hilarious.

I could maybe understand the star in the endzone, but not in the middle of the field. I was glad he was knocked on his ass when he tried it. If I were a Cowboys player, I personally would've knocked him on the ass for disrespecting my team's logo. I love endzone celebrations, but disrespecting a team's logo is out of the question.

Would you like it if TO ran to midfield at Soldier Field after he scored a TD? I bet not because he would be disrespecting the "C".