For Dems only.

Texsox

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Click on Texsox's link and you will understand.

I just continue to fail to understand some hard core republicans and conservatives unwavering interest in this thread. Hence the reaction formation comment.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll answer that question. This has pretty much (as has the GOP thread) become an attack on the "other party" thread, which is just stupid.

I understand the original point of this thread - but if I'm Balta, I'll just post the most inflammatory rhetoric here so I don't get a response from those pissant conservatives.

If I'm Kap (:D), I'll just post the most inflammatory rhetoric in the "other" thread, just so I don't get a response from those pissant liberals.

I think that it's just people see this stuff and they want to refute the crap they're seeing (in both threads, although it's less on the "other side" because there's less crap posted in there, thanks to Balta's tireless research... ;) ).

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
What other thread. :)

I guess I just like to keep to my own kind. How very conservative of me. :P

:lol:

Uh huh, exactly.

(padding my Dem post totals - and in this thread somewhere, I actually said I liked Richardson... :D )

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
wtf is this doing in this thread?

And, I would be really curious to see who the top 5 posters in this thread are. Really curious.

I believe the Freudian term is: reaction formation. . .

Top 5

Balta1701 400

FlaSoxxJim 120

NorthSideSox72 91

kapkomet 88

Rex Kickass 85

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Like there was seriously any doubt as to who was going to be on top in this thread.

I knew you'd be number 1, but I also figured Kap would be in the top 5.

I warned them not to click on the link. :D

I thought one place here to sink or swim together would be a nice thing. I don't think I looked in the conservative thread in months.

Kap is #5 in the other thread, no wonder he's always in a Krappy™ Mood

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
Al Franken will leave his Air America Radio show on Feb. 14th to launch the exploratory process for a run for the U.S. Senate seat from Minnesota in 2008.

Speaking (or writing) as a Minnesotan, I'd really like the party to find anyone other than Franken to run against Coleman in 2008. Norm is incredibly beatable, and a strong candidate would have no problem against him. I doubt Franken is that candidate.

Besides, wasn't the 80's the Al Franken Decade?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
wtf is this doing in this thread?

And, I would be really curious to see who the top 5 posters in this thread are. Really curious.

I believe the Freudian term is: reaction formation. . .

haha, jump to conclusions much? you may want to actually follow the thread and click on links to which posts are responding before throwing a internet temper tantrum.

meh, or just keep being a spaz. either way is fine with me. but i do like your attempt to show wit by using a Freudian term. it's very amusing.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
I interpreted that piece as highlighting America's sad descent toward a fascist state, not equating Bush with Hitler.

lol, c'mon dude. 2 + 2 = 4.

you know what conclusion the link was getting at. who is running the country during this "fascist uprising"? i was trying to point out how stupid it is to constantly compare things that a person may not like to fascist Germany.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
but i do like your attempt to show wit by using a Freudian term. it's very amusing.

Yep, amazing a Psych Grad student using a Psych term. Wow, that is amusing.

to some.

Another GOP don't click link*

*I love doing that because it pretty much assures them of clicking on the link. :D

• Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day.
  • The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations (i.e. a quarter of the world’s countries) is less than the wealth of the world’s three richest people combined.
  • Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
  • Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
  • 1 billion children live in poverty (1 in 2 children in the world). 640 million live without adequate shelter, 400 million have no access to safe water, 270 million have no access to health services. 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (or roughly 29,000 children per day).

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
haha, jump to conclusions much? you may want to actually follow the thread and click on links to which posts are responding before throwing a internet temper tantrum.

meh, or just keep being a spaz. either way is fine with me. but i do like your attempt to show wit by using a Freudian term. it's very amusing.

I did follow Tex's link. I just find it very funny that so many republicans constantly post here and are all offended by stuff that is thrown around in this thread. And I don't see how my post has anything remotely to do with a tantrum. I would actually say your post was more waaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaa mean old dems.

And it wasn't an attempt to show wit, it was merely an observation. I have to put all of my graduate training to use at some point, right?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:30 AM)
I did follow Tex's link. I just find it very funny that so many republicans constantly post here and are all offended by stuff that is thrown around in this thread. And I don't see how my post has anything remotely to do with a tantrum. I would actually say your post was more waaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaa mean old dems.

And it wasn't an attempt to show wit, it was merely an observation. I have to put all of my graduate training to use at some point, right?

Just for discussion's sake, here are the top 5 from the GOP thread and the Dems thread along with the percentages of total posts in those threads.

southsider2k5 84 17.3%

NorthSideSox72 54 11.1%

Cknolls 36 7.4%

NUKE_CLEVELAND 32 6.6%

Balta1701 29 6.0%

Balta1701 403 35.2%

FlaSoxxJim 120 10.5%

NorthSideSox72 91 7.9%

kapkomet 88 7.7%

Rex Kickass 86 7.5%

According to the numbers, it doesn't look like the GOP thread has been left alone either, so the whole idea of "only" threads has been long gone for quite a while now. I was also surprised that the GOP thread has way more balance it in, as the top 5 posters in the Dems thread own almost 70% of its posts, while the top 5 in the GOP thread hold only just under half of thread. The myth that the GOPers are the only ones doing this is busted IMO.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
Just for discussion's sake, here are the top 5 from the GOP thread and the Dems thread along with the percentages of total posts in those threads.

According to the numbers, it doesn't look like the GOP thread has been left alone either, so the whole idea of "only" threads has been long gone for quite a while now. I was also surprised that the GOP thread has way more balance it in, as the top 5 posters in the Dems thread own almost 70% of its posts, while the top 5 in the GOP thread hold only just under half of thread. The myth that the GOPers are the only ones doing this is busted IMO.

I never said it wasn't just the GOPers doing it. I just rarely read that thread, so I don't know how big of a problem it is.

I think I've posted once or twice over in that thread, but then I realized how silly it is to do so. I try to respect your guys' right to have hyperbolic conversations about politics (much like the ones that happen in this thread). Or at the very least, not go over to your thread and act like an asshole. I wouldn't treat someone with disrespect in their own house, and that's just how it comes across in these threads. If there was some sort of meaningful discussion, sure fine. But here (and probably in the GOP thread) it's just "snark, snark, snark, you guys are just as bad, snark." Which is exactly what the rest of the filibuster is. We've had some good discussions with Republicans in this thread (I think Yas was involved with a good one recently), but some of them are just f***ing ridiculous. Either have a discussion or b**** and moan in your own thread.

Oh f*** it, nevermind.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
I never said it wasn't just the GOPers doing it. I just rarely read that thread, so I don't know how big of a problem it is.

I think I've posted once or twice over in that thread, but then I realized how silly it is to do so. I try to respect your guys' right to have hyperbolic conversations about politics (much like the ones that happen in this thread). Or at the very least, not go over to your thread and act like an asshole. I wouldn't treat someone with disrespect in their own house, and that's just how it comes across in these threads. If there was some sort of meaningful discussion, sure fine. But here (and probably in the GOP thread) it's just "snark, snark, snark, you guys are just as bad, snark." Which is exactly what the rest of the filibuster is. We've had some good discussions with Republicans in this thread (I think Yas was involved with a good one recently), but some of them are just f***ing ridiculous. Either have a discussion or b**** and moan in your own thread.

Oh f*** it, nevermind.

I wasn't trying to upset you, I was just trying to show that these threads lost their purpose a long time ago. 99% of the time I try to avoid posting here, just because I like to try to avoid this exact thing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)

What isn't reflected in the totals, and I can't answer this because I rarely venture in the GOP, is the nature of the posts. Are the Dems coming over there and arguing? Are debates flaring up between Dems and GOP in that thread like they are here? That is a bigger issue IMHO than post counts.

And it should also be asked, is the site better or worse if there is a totally partisan area that allows for hyperbole? That allows for each side to commiserate?

I thought yes. Still do.