For Dems only.

Texsox

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
Oberweis is just a lousy candidate. he needs to stop running for office.

this is how I feel. I heard it was a great GOTV campaign and kudos to Obama for his help, but had the republicans ran out a legit candidate, woulda been a piece of cake. BUt Oberweis wins primaries because of money and name recognition his opponents can't match early on.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
this is how I feel. I heard it was a great GOTV campaign and kudos to Obama for his help, but had the republicans ran out a legit candidate, woulda been a piece of cake. BUt Oberweis wins primaries because of money and name recognition his opponents can't match early on.

Piece of cake? No chance. Another candidate may have won, maybe. But I think that's still unlikely. Oberweise is a crappy candidate, no doubt. But the other important factors - changing demographics in that district, Obama's support, general anger with Bush and the GOP... would all still have been there in people's minds.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Who would have thought 2 years ago in early 2006 that 2 years later the Democrats would control the seats of both Tom Delay and Dennis Hastert?

I grew up in Kendall county, and I still can't believe that seat isn't republican. Seriously. I thought my parents were joking yesterday when they told me.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/ap_on_el_pr/obama_ticket

Obama basically saying "hell no" to the idea of being VP to a ticket with Clinton as president. Apparently, unlike Clinton, Obama realizes he still is the leader and favorite overall in the race for the democratic nominee.

Clinton realizes it too. That's why she keeps bringing this up - trying to look maternal and in control.

Attorney Mike Ciresi announced Monday that he is dropping out of the race for Sen. Norm Coleman’s (R-Minn.) seat, clearing the way for comedian Al Franken in the Democratic contest.

“In my judgment, continuing the endorsement race would only lead to an unnecessary floor fight. It is time to step aside,” Ciresi said in a statement.

Franken still faces a delegate contest with Professor Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, but the peace activist has not raised the kind of money Franken and Ciresi have and will be a significant underdog.

Link.

Franken and Rush Limbaugh are both very intelligent and knowledgable in political matters; but, they both seem to give off an air of pomposity gets in the way of their message/opinion. People who disagree with their opinion tend to see them as boorish and a few more vulgar terms.

The House Dems yesterday seem to have successfully passed a bill that will create an independent, non-partisan ethics committee outside of the normal House processes. There's still some efforts at stonewalling but it looks good on paper. All you need to know about it is that one of the arguments against it was this one:

"If you have a single ounce of self-preservation, you'll vote no," implored Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) last night.

Also, David Corn finds writings by the man McCain called one of his "Spiritual Advisers" saying that the single duty and sole reason America exists is to destroy Islam.

Kudos to the US House for passing a surveillance bill that does NOT grant immunity to the telecoms. Glad to see they are willing to stick to their guns on something, instead of caving to a weak President. This was the right thing to do. Bush will veto of course, meaning that some of the tools the country needs to protect itself won't be available - Bush yet again weakening the country's defenses.

2009 cannot come soon enough.