• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you ready for Nancy?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061...90358-9812r.htm

A look at Pelosi's voting record

TODAY'S EDITORIAL

November 3, 2006

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi would bring to the office a level of left-wing liberalism that will be unprecedented. In the National Journal's 2005 ideological ratings, which were based on scores of votes, Mrs. Pelosi was ranked more liberal than 91 percent of her House colleagues on economic issues, 96 percent on social matters and 82 percent on foreign-policy issues. Here are her relative rankings (economic, social, foreign) for 2004 (93, 88, 81), 2003 (92, 89, 70), 2002 (88, 84, 90) and 2001 (94, 83, 93).

Until she received a 95 percent liberal rating in 2005 from the Americans for Democratic Action (the nation's pre-eminent liberal organization), Mrs. Pelosi had racked up five consecutive years (2000-04) of 100 percent ratings. Her lifetime ADA rating is 96 percent. Last year, the American Conservative Union gave her a 0 rating. Her lifetime ACU rating is 3 percent.

Typical for her 20-year House career, Mrs. Pelosi received a 100 percent rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America last year and a 0 rating from the National Right to Life Committee. A Roman Catholic who has repeatedly voted to uphold partial-birth abortion, who has voted against parental notification when minor children seek abortion and who has shown no concern for the rights of the innocent unborn, Mrs. Pelosi has consistently opposed the death penalty.

Over the years, Mrs. Pelosi has consistently voted against welfare reform, including the 1996 bill signed by President Clinton and its re-authorization. In 1998, she opposed a constitutional amendment to permit school prayer in the classroom. In 1999, she opposed allowing state and local governments to display the Ten Commandments on public property, including schools. She has voted against education IRAs. In 2003, she opposed a $10 million program for school vouchers in the District of Columbia. That same year she voted against the 10-year $400 billion Medicare prescription-drug bill because she preferred one that was twice as expensive. Mrs. Pelosi has repeatedly voted for tax increases and opposed tax cuts, even the 2001 bill that doubled the child tax credit to $1,000, among other cuts.

As the United States has become increasingly dependent on foreign sources for oil, Mrs. Pelosi has always opposed drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. In recent years, she has become protectionist -- leading the opposition in 2000 against then-President Clinton's successful effort to establish permanent normal trade relations with China. She also opposed giving Mr. Clinton and Mr. Bush trade-promotion authority; and in 2005 she voted against the Central American Free Trade Agreement. In 2004, she voted to end Radio Marti broadcasts to Cuba. She voted to reduce funds for the B-2 intercontinental bomber, which performed superbly in the 1999 Kosovo War, in 2001 in Afghanistan and in Iraq. Mrs. Pelosi has repeatedly opposed anti-missile defense, even as a nuclear-armed North Korea has tested ballistic missiles.

==================================================================

Loser says what?

TOPFIVE.COM'S LITTLE FIVERS -- POLITICAL

http://www.littlefivers.com/politics/

==================================================================

November 7, 2006

NOTE FROM CHRIS:

You slackers better be voting today.

The Top 7 Signs Your Campaign Staff

Didn't Really Expect You to Win

7> You ask them to prepare a concession speech, and it's ready

before you leave the room.

6> When you show up at campaign headquarters, you see your press

secretary standing next to an FBI agent, pointing at you and

saying "Yep, that's him!"

5> The total number of votes you received is less than the total

number of people on your payroll.

4> Your acceptance speech is written in tartar sauce on a hotel

cocktail napkin.

3> You caught them red-handed burning their "I Never Liked Him

Anyway" shirts.

2> All the W's have been removed from the campaign's keyboards.

and the Number 1 Sign Your Campaign Staff Didn't Really Expect You

to Win...

1> When it's time for the celebratory balloon drop... the

balloon drops.

[ Copyright 2006 by Chris White ]

[ http://www.topfive.com ]

"Don't vote for somebody because of what they look like."

"I'm feeling lonely in Washington, I need my dear friend to join me."

Same person said both. Both statements talking about black candidates.

The difference? First statement is Wonderboy telling people not to vote for Michael Steele.

The second statement is Wonderboy telling people to vote for Harold Ford. Hypocrisy? Nah. He can do no wrong.

OBAMA was the speaker of both quotes.

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
I wouldn't expect anything less from him. It's really cool to see the calm, peaceful transition of power in our country. It's a testament to the vision of the founders.

:headbang

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Oh for the Republican Party in 2008. We couldn't even get John Kerry to help us out enough this time around.

It could be a good thing. Personally, I think they got too comfortable since 1994 anyway. They needed a wakeup call and hopefully this is it. The base hasn't been motivated for years. You want to motivate them? Lead! Don't go to the middle. Don't concede and "be friends." Do what you think is right. Do what we elected you to do. Do it because you believe it's right not because you're afraid to lose your job.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
It could be a good thing. Personally, I think they got too comfortable since 1994 anyway. They needed a wakeup call and hopefully this is it. The base hasn't been motivated for years. You want to motivate them? Lead! Don't go to the middle. Don't concede and "be friends." Do what you think is right. Do what we elected you to do. Do it because you believe it's right not because you're afraid to lose your job.

I'd just like to add that sometimes, for either party, a candidate doing what they think is right does indeed take them towards the middle. Some people are moderates (on a net basis) because they are doing just that - sticking with what is right, not just following a party line.

Moderate isn't necessarily unmotivated.

Hard-liner isn't necessarily morally grounded.

Lieberman, Ford (who lost), Romney, McCain are all examples of that. They have views that fall into both parties, not just one, but they stick with them anyway (well, McCain seems to be sliding right to get the GOP base, but he's basically a moderate).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
I'd just like to add that sometimes, for either party, a candidate doing what they think is right does indeed take them towards the middle. Some people are moderates (on a net basis) because they are doing just that - sticking with what is right, not just following a party line.

Moderate isn't necessarily unmotivated.

Hard-liner isn't necessarily morally grounded.

Lieberman, Ford (who lost), Romney, McCain are all examples of that. They have views that fall into both parties, not just one, but they stick with them anyway (well, McCain seems to be sliding right to get the GOP base, but he's basically a moderate).

I didn't mean to make that assumption. I meant to just point out the "Revolution" of 1994 was a farther right win. They had a clear message and were elected to execute that message. They failed and I believe the result is what we saw last night. I refuse to believe that this election was an endorsement of Dems more than it was a rejection of the "same ol' same ol'"

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I didn't mean to make that assumption. I meant to just point out the "Revolution" of 1994 was a farther right win. They had a clear message and were elected to execute that message. They failed and I believe the result is what we saw last night. I refuse to believe that this election was an endorsement of Dems more than it was a rejection of the "same ol' same ol'"

Agreed on all points.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Agreed on all points.

And another thing... a much better organized Democratic party with a clear goal would have won 5 more Senate seats and maybe 15-20 more House seats, IMO.

We (Republicans) should be thankful the Democratic party is such a mess right now. I mean look at a lot of the Dems that won - they're more Conservative than their GOP opponents.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
And another thing... a much better organized Democratic party with a clear goal would have won 5 more Senate seats and maybe 15-20 more House seats, IMO.

We (Republicans) should be thankful the Democratic party is such a mess right now. I mean look at a lot of the Dems that won - they're more Conservative than their GOP opponents.

OK, you lost me on those two points. I'd have to disagree. They weren't going to win many other seats this cycle, in the current environment, and I'd like you to point out a Dem for me that is more conservative than the Republican they beat.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
OK, you lost me on those two points. I'd have to disagree. They weren't going to win many other seats this cycle, in the current environment, and I'd like you to point out a Dem for me that is more conservative than the Republican they beat.

I don't know how many seats they could have won. I just know they won plenty without a clear message. Just think what a good campaign woul dhave done.

Heath Schuler is supposed to be pretty Conservative.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
I don't know how many seats they could have won. I just know they won plenty without a clear message. Just think what a good campaign woul dhave done.

Heath Schuler is supposed to be pretty Conservative.

Yes, Schuler is on cultural issues pretty conservative. But he's also, for example, giving a press conference with Sherrod Brown today for the United Steelworkers where they'll be talking about needing new trade policies and opposition to NAFTA. One of his key campaign messages was the loss of jobs due to free trade

QUOTE(juddling @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
I think quite a few Dems won more on the platform that "they weren't Bush" than any actual issues.

(Before anyone jumps on that...it's my OPINION!! I'm entitled to it so be quiet)

:bang

In the end though, it wasn't even Bush. Had it not been for the Foley fiasco mixed with the Jack Arbenoff (excuse my spelling) fiasco the Repub's may have lost a bit but they would have held the senate for sure and probably the house.

That said the democrats (vast majority) that were running had absolutely no platform, but obviously the majority of America was that fed up with what was currently going on that it decided no idea is better than the current one (since the democrats all seem to agree that what we are doing now sucks).

Even though I think Bush has done a tremendous job with the economy (especially given the circumstances) and he's also a tremendous leader (but I think most everyone here long knows that I really really like Bush the person).

I like Bush the man, I believe he has made some great picks on the people around him, and think he is a terrible leader. What leadership has he really shown besides the distortions used to justify our invasion of Iraq? What cause has he championed? 9/11 showed what he could be, he was inspirational, comforting, amazing on a pile of rubble with a bullhorn. After that he just hasn't had the fire in his belly. Katrina should have been a turning point that propelled him, and the REP party, all the way to 2008. His efforts sucked.

It seems he has let his party drift in the past couple years when they had everything politicians could want, the White House, both houses, a discredited judicial branch, and no one believing the press. What does Bush have to show for it? What does the country have to show for it?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 8, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
I like Bush the man, I believe he has made some great picks on the people around him, and think he is a terrible leader. What leadership has he really shown besides the distortions used to justify our invasion of Iraq? What cause has he championed? 9/11 showed what he could be, he was inspirational, comforting, amazing on a pile of rubble with a bullhorn. After that he just hasn't had the fire in his belly. Katrina should have been a turning point that propelled him, and the REP party, all the way to 2008. His efforts sucked.

It seems he has let his party drift in the past couple years when they had everything politicians could want, the White House, both houses, a discredited judicial branch, and no one believing the press. What does Bush have to show for it? What does the country have to show for it?

To this day I blame the Katrina disaster on the crooked ass, idiocit politicians of Louisiana. Bush could have done a better job but he was the man who got blamed for the local/state politicians being dumb as stone. And in some instances Bush was ready to do things and the local/state people were not ready to make immediate decisions and stalled (which again led to delays in the relief effort).

The whole thing was one big fiasco, but than again I say rebuilding an area that can be absolutely destroyed again (especially with the area being so vulnerable with broken levy's everywhere) is stupid as hell. Of course we needed to do something and my idea would have been scoffed at by everyone in New Orleans.