For GOP only

Texsox

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
Edwards is all plastic and mirrors. I see very little under the hood intellectually from him. I really hope he doesn't win.

I gotta say, I was a lot more impressed with him 2-3 years ago. He was a lot more moderate as a VP canditate, and that did appeal to me. If the Kerry-Edwards ticket had been reversed, I would have paid a lot more attention to it, and considered voting that way. In retrospect, I am glad it didn't happen that way, because now John seems to be in a mad dash to Lefty-ville.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
I gotta say, I was a lot more impressed with him 2-3 years ago. He was a lot more moderate as a VP canditate, and that did appeal to me. If the Kerry-Edwards ticket had been reversed, I would have paid a lot more attention to it, and considered voting that way. In retrospect, I am glad it didn't happen that way, because now John seems to be in a mad dash to Lefty-ville.

I think Edwards played the more conservative route back then because he wanted to be a foil to Kerry. He wanted to be everything a New England liberal is not. So he was plenty lefty on issues like poverty and education, but more centered or conservative on other issues.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)

Wow, I am not certain who that panders to. Pick any player in the middle east and they are the biggest threat to world peace. No other region has the interest of the world like that region. Just ask the people of the Sudan.

Rudy is leading McCain by 7 points in Iowa as of the last poll

http://strategicvision.biz/political/iowa_poll_022207.htm

Below are the results of a three-day poll in the state of Iowa. Results are based on telephone interviews with 600 likely Republican cacus goers and 600 likely Democratic cacus goers, aged 18+, and conducted February 16-18, 2007. The margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

1. If the 2008 Republican presidential caucus were held today between, Sam Brownback, Jim Gilmore, Newt Gingrich, Rudy Giuliani, Chuck Hagel, Mike Huckabee, Duncan Hunter, John McCain, George Pataki, Mitt Romney, Tom Tancredo, and Tommy Thompson for whom would you vote? (Republicans Only; Names Rotated)

Rudy Giuliani 29%

John McCain 22%

Newt Gingrich 11%

Mitt Romney 9%

Chuck Hagel 5%

Tommy Thompson 3%

Tom Tancredo 2%

Sam Brownback 2%

Mike Huckabee 2%

Jim Gilmore 1%

Duncan Hunter 1%

Undecided 13%

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)

The Edwards camp is saying that John never said this, while the author is standing by his story.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=...&id=5053735

A spokesman for the 2008 Democratic candidate issued a statement today denying such a report on Variety-dot-com.

Columnist Peter Bart reports that Edwards told a Hollywood fundraiser last month that the possibility that Israel would bomb Iran's nuclear facilities is perhaps the greatest short-term threat to world peace.

Edwards' spokesman Jonathan Prince says the article is erroneous. He says Edwards says one of the greatest short-term threats to world peace is Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Bart says Variety stands by its report. The host of the fundraiser, Adam Venit of the Endeavor talent agency, didn't respond to a message seeking comment.

http://hillaryspot.nationalreview.com/post...jU3NWNjNjcyOTE=

Do the Big Three have glass jaws?

Food For Thought: Do Democrats Not Seek an Experienced Candidate? And Do Their Big Three Have Glass Jaws?

Hillary laments, “some people may be running who tell you we don’t face a real threat from terrorism,” prompting ABC News to ask… well, who?

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King has a feature in his column, “Things I Think I Think This Week.” In that vein – a half-thought out idea that might be worth chewing on - here are two conclusions…

1. Pretend you’re a Democrat for a moment. (If you are a Democrat, then, well, as you were.) The three candidates in the field who you could say, with a great deal of certainty, that are most ready to be president; who could step in with the least amount of learning on-the-job are… Bill Richardson, Joe Biden, and Al Gore. I’m not saying you or I necessarily agree with these guys. But Richardson’s got the widest variety of experience (two-term governor, United Nations ambassador, cabinet secretary). Biden’s been around Washington forever and chaired some of the most influential committees (Judiciary, Foreign Affairs) and is widely regarded as a lawmaker who takes his issues seriously (even if he sounds nutty when he rants about 7-11s, etc.). Al Gore was a heartbeat away from the presidency for eight years, and a senator for a long time before that. He’s already won the popular vote.

Naturally, the three frontrunners at this moment are Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards: a one-term senator and change, a less-than-one-term senator, and a one-term senator.

(Yes, I know I’m not counting Hillary’s years as first lady, and her marriage gave her an insider’s role in her husband’s administration, blah blah blah. And yes, Al Gore has indicated he is not running.)

But for some reason, at this moment of great foreign threat and great domestic change, the Democrats strongly prefer a fresh face to someone who a majority of Americans could readily see stepping into the role of Commander-in-Chief.

2. Right now, the country wants change, and if the mood is the same on Election Day 2008, that appetite seems likely to favor the Democratic candidate. But for any of the big three of the Democrats, it’s plausible that they could blow it.

Hillary? She just about guarantees 100 percent Republican turnout. Maybe my sample is a bit small, but a lot of the older folks I know act as if she’s still the vengeful, power-hungry ultra-feminist radical of, say, 1994. Older women resent the “should have stayed home and baked cookies” line from way back when. As a politician, she’s clumsy, heavy-handed, has a tin ear (banning video games and flag-burning amendment, etc.). She brings the baggage of eight years of partisan warfare and scandal (and there’s no sign her presidency would mitigate the furious passions), her Iraq positioning gives off an overpowering odor of opportunism, and she ensures the era from 1988 to 2012 and perhaps 2016 will be known as the American Dynasties with our presidencies going Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.

It’s easy to imagine a majority of Americans – say, all the red states – looking at the prospect of President Hillary and saying, “Eh, let’s try that McCain/Giuliani/Romney guy.”

Obama? Nice guy. Really charming. Warm, personable. Nothing like that Kerry fellow.

But…

Boy, he came out of nowhere. Thin record to evaluate – what is this guy like in a crisis? How will he handle a dangerous world? Is he talking about abstract concepts like hope and bipartisanship and empathy because he doesn’t want to spell out what he would do in the Oval Office?

And it’s a shame that the most likeable Democrat to come down the pike in a long time has to – so far, at least – be offering such a standard-issue liberal policy agenda, with a dollop of “audacity of hope” Bela Caroli you-can-do-it-America enthusiasm. Clinton had welfare reform and a rejection of Mondale-Dukakis liberalism. Will Obama be an exciting reformer in any area? Will he take any position that right-of-center voters would find intriguing?

And, of course, he’s black. I think the country’s ready, but I know that many smart people disagree with me.

Add up those doubts, and maybe Americans say, “eh, we’re not ready for that guy.”

John Edwards? I try to see the appeal of candidates who I disagree with, but the upsides of Edwards are lost on me. Right now, I look at him and see a more transparently phony version of Bill Clinton, an unremarkable legislator, didn’t add much to the 2004 ticket, almost self-parodying in the hypocrisy of his Mega-McMansion, hired the lunatic bloggers, changes his tune on Israel depending on who he’s speaking to…

Ezra Klein of the American Prospect described Edwards as a modern man’s William Jennings Bryan in a recent Blogging Heads chat, and I just scratched my head at the thought that “WJB2k8” was what the country was looking for at this moment… but then again, I’ve been out of the country for the past two years or so.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LorieBy...ting_looks_like

Will an investigation follow? Don't hold your breath. The MSM is silent again. What bias? Covert agents being outed by the press is o.k. Only when a supposed covert agent who is actually a manager is supposedly outed by a administration official, is it o.k. to cover it on the front pages of all the lib rags and MSNBC.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LorieBy...ting_looks_like

Will an investigation follow? Don't hold your breath. The MSM is silent again. What bias? Covert agents being outed by the press is o.k. Only when a supposed covert agent who is actually a manager is supposedly outed by a administration official, is it o.k. to cover it on the front pages of all the lib rags and MSNBC.

Yeah, that's comparable. 3 PRIVATE CONTRACTORS, were "outed", in the sense that it was revealed they live within a 900 square mile around the airfield mentioned, and that they may or may not enjoy trains or have beards. No name or any other ID.

This sort of thing doesn't make the MSM because its a nothing event. Just some columnist trying to say "hey, they did it too", and doing pretty poorly at it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Yeah, that's comparable. 3 PRIVATE CONTRACTORS, were "outed", in the sense that it was revealed they live within a 900 square mile around the airfield mentioned, and that they may or may not enjoy trains or have beards. No name or any other ID.

This sort of thing doesn't make the MSM because its a nothing event. Just some columnist trying to say "hey, they did it too", and doing pretty poorly at it.

Well to be fair, nobody drives Fords anymore.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)

Someone with a moderate amount of determination and the info provided could easily find out who they are. The fact that they didn't name the names just doesn't cut it.

"In real life, the chief pilot is 52, drives a Toyota Previa minivan and keeps a collection of model trains in a glass display case near a large bubbling aquarium in his living room. Federal aviation records show he is rated to fly seven kinds of aircraft as long as he wears his glasses…

His copilot, who used the alias Fain, is a bearded man of 35 who lives with his father and two dogs in a separate subdivision…

The third pilot, who used the alias Bird, is 46, drives a Ford Explorer and has a 17-foot aluminum fishing boat. Certified as a flight instructor, he keeps plastic models of his favorite planes mounted by the fireplace in his living room in a house that backs onto a private golf course here."

That's some pretty specific stuff.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 23, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Someone with a moderate amount of determination and the info provided could easily find out who they are. The fact that they didn't name the names just doesn't cut it.

That's some pretty specific stuff.

I certainly agree that is a bizarre way to report that information. I think the author is dancing the line successfully by being acceptable in the literal sense, but its poor journalism.

But these situations are just not even reasonable comparable. One other thing I didn't mention here, that is a huge difference, is that there are no high-ranking White House officials involved. If anyone actually thinks that the Plame thing wouldn't have been just as highly reported if a Dem was the President, then they have a very short memory. The White House is always a primary target, regardless of party.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 03:34 AM)
SHE WAS NOT COVERT PEOPLE.

The CIA requested the DOJ initiate an investigation into her outing by Novak. In other words, as far as the CIA was concerned, until her identity was leaked by Armitage, yes, she was covert in the eyes of the CIA.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 05:34 AM)
SHE WAS NOT COVERT PEOPLE.

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20070223-104642-1644r.htm

I must have missed this story on all the network newscasts too huh 72.

But the media is all over the homo evengelist in Colorado.

I don't believe I used the word COVERT at all. This sort of "outing" probably happens every so often anyway. The relevant reason for it being such big news is it involved White House officials.

And what on earth does "the homo evangelist in Colorado" have to do with this?

So how do you fight someone using slurs against you in your campaign? You use to to raise some "Coulter Cash"! I love how this is an outrage, but not big enough to stop Edwards from whoring it out to raise a quick $100K.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17458248/

“The kind of hateful language she used has no place in political debate or our society at large,” he wrote in comments posted to his Web site on Saturday.

“I believe it is our moral responsibility to speak out against that kind of bigotry and prejudice every time we encounter it,” Edwards added.

The candidate also posted a video of Coulter’s comments, asking supporters to raise $100,000 in so-called “Coulter Cash” for his campaign to “fight back against the politics of bigotry.”

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
So how do you fight someone using slurs against you in your campaign? You use to to raise some "Coulter Cash"! I love how this is an outrage, but not big enough to stop Edwards from whoring it out to raise a quick $100K.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17458248/

But, b-b-b-ut, but it's DIFFERENT!

I found this post on several conservative blogs tonight. I bet we would never see something similar coming from Koz and such condemning Maher.

An Open Letter To The ACU And CPAC Sponsors

Note: This letter will appear simultaneously on a number of conservative blogs this morning. It has been scheduled in advance for that purpose. My personal remarks will appear below.

Conservatism treats humans as they are, as moral creatures possessing rational minds and capable of discerning right from wrong. There comes a time when we must speak out in the defense of the conservative movement, and make a stand for political civility. This is one of those times.

Ann Coulter used to serve the movement well. She was telegenic, intelligent, and witty. She was also fearless: saying provocative things to inspire deeper thought and cutting through the haze of competing information has its uses. But Coulter's fearlessness has become an addiction to shock value. She draws attention to herself, rather than placing the spotlight on conservative ideas.

At the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2006, Coulter referred to Iranians as "ragheads." She is one of the most prominent women in the conservative movement; for her to employ such reckless language reinforces the stereotype that conservatives are racists.

At CPAC 2007 Coulter decided to turn up the volume by referring to John Edwards, a former U.S. Senator and current Presidential candidate, as a "f*****." Such offensive language--and the cavalier attitude that lies behind it--is intolerable to us. It may be tolerated on liberal websites but not at the nation's premier conservative gathering.

The legendary conservative thinker Richard Weaver wrote a book entitled Ideas Have Consequences. Rush Limbaugh has said again and again that "words mean things." Both phrases apply to Coulter's awful remarks.

Coulter's vicious word choice tells the world she care little about the feelings of a large group that often feels marginalized and despised. Her word choice forces conservatives to waste time defending themselves against charges of homophobia rather than advancing conservative ideas.

Within a day of Coulter's remark John Edwards sent out a fundraising email that used Coulter's words to raise money for his faltering campaign. She is helping those she claims to oppose. How does that advance any of the causes we hold dear?

Denouncing Coulter is not enough. After her "raghead" remark in 2006 she took some heat. Yet she did not grow and learn. We should have been more forceful. This year she used a gay slur. What is next? If Senator Barack Obama is the de facto Democratic Presidential nominee next year, will Coulter feel free to use a racial slur? How does that help conservatism?

One of the points of CPAC is the opportunity it gives college students to meet other young conservatives and learn from our leaders. Unlike on their campuses—where they often feel alone—at CPAC they know they are part of a vibrant political movement. What example is set when one highlight of the conference is finding out what shocking phrase will emerge from Ann Coulter's mouth? How can we teach young conservatives to fight for their principles with civility and respect when Ann Coulter is allowed to address the conference? Coulter's invective is a sign of weak thinking and unprincipled politicking.

CPAC sponsors, the Age of Ann has passed. We, the undersigned, request that CPAC speaking invitations no longer be extended to Ann Coulter. Her words and attitude simply do too much damage.

Credentialed CPAC 2007 Bloggers

Sean Hackbarth, The American Mind

James Joyner, Outside the Beltway

Scott Schmidt, Boi From Troy

Joy McCann, Little Miss Attila

Kevin McCullough, Musclehead Revolution

Fausta Werz, Fausta's blog

Patrick Hynes, Ankle Biting Pundits

Ed Morrissey, Captain's Quarters

Other Conservative Bloggers

Owen Robinson, Boots and Sabres

N.Z. Bear, The Truth Laid Bear

Michael Demmons, Gay Orbit

So today alone, I heard clips of BOTH Illinois senators making fools of themselves. Dick (what a fitting first name) Durbin compares our troops to the Nazi's, and the great Barack Obama talks in Selma, Alabama on the 42nd anniversary of the march, saying that without that march it wouldn't have been possible for his parents to have married or thus, him to exist. Too bad a novice like me even knows Selma took place in 1965 and Obama was born in 1961. I'm embarassed to be from this state when I hear those 2 extremist fools yap.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)

That ambulance chaser would sell his wife for 10 dollars if he could. Biggest money whore in politics, bar none.

Edited by whitesoxfan101