For GOP only

Texsox

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Ahem...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060406/ap_on_.../immigration_50

Actually, it looks like letting illegal immigrants (most of them anyway) become citizens is the stance of BOTH parties.

Yeah this immigrant topic is unusual because normally it's Democrats vs. Republicans. In some cases right now some people from both parties are for it, and others are against it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always that Newt was a very intelligent man. I wouldn't find it depressing it is him, I would find it depressing if he is ignored. When either party does something smart, we all benefit.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
Its kinda depressing that it takes Newt Gingrich to get it.  :crying

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....RICH.xml&rpc=22

Newt saying "We didn't come to Washington to get co-opted by it" is funny because he was co-opted before he ever got to that 1994 election. But his point is pretty clear, the GOP is scared s***less right now about November. They have a chance to lose Duke Cunningham's old seat in a special runoff election in a deep red part of California (yes there are some of those.) And his call to resurrect the 1994 battle cry of reform is a last ditch effort of a movement that bankrupted itself morally and intellectually in less than 12 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read this pile of crap?

Bad Targeting

CIA Director Porter Goss has been busy chasing press leaks. It's easier than improving U.S. intelligence.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006; Page A24

IF CIA OFFICIALS leaked information about the agency's secret prisons to The Post's Dana Priest, then the American public owes them a debt of gratitude. We don't know who the sources were for Ms. Priest's Pulitzer Prize-winning work, though we assume there were many. (The news and editorial departments here operate separately, and they don't share such information.) Last week a CIA officer on the verge of retirement, Mary O. McCarthy, was fired for speaking to Ms. Priest and other journalists, though she says she did not provide classified information about the secret prisons. Anyone who talked from inside the CIA violated the agency's rules, if not the law. But they also upheld the public interest.

The Bush administration is holding a number of terrorism suspects incommunicado in secret prisons abroad without due process or even notification of the International Committee of the Red Cross, and some detainees have been subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment. This is a gross violation of international law and American values, and it's essential to our democracy that such an exceptional policy be subject to public debate. Maybe disclosure of the prisons damaged national security -- the CIA has offered no evidence of that -- but it's hard to imagine what could be more damaging than the existence of the system itself. CIA Director Porter J. Goss appears to have dismissed Ms. McCarthy to send a message to others who leaked to the press. That's a questionable use of his authority.

We don't question the need for intelligence agencies to gather or keep secrets, or to penalize employees who fail to do so. Leaks that compromise national security, such as the deliberate delivery of information to foreign governments, must be aggressively prosecuted. But the history of the past several decades shows that leaks of classified information to the U.S. media have generally benefited the country -- whether it was the disclosure of the Pentagon Papers during the Vietnam era or the more recent revelations of secret prisons and domestic spying during the war on terrorism. Those who leak to the press often do so for patriotic reasons, not because they wish to damage national security. The press itself has a record of protecting information that would endanger lives or ongoing operations; The Post, for example, withheld the locations of the CIA prisons from Ms. Priest's story. Previous CIA directors refrained from hunting down leakers for the simple reason that they had more urgent priorities.

Which bring us to Mr. Goss. He has taken no disciplinary action against CIA personnel identified by his inspector general as having played a part in the failure to prevent the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. He has taken no action against CIA interrogators known to have participated in the torture and killing of foreign detainees, or against those who knowingly violated the Geneva Conventions in Iraq. He has driven a host of senior managers from the agency. Now he would have the country believe that one of the CIA's biggest problems -- worthy of an unprecedented internal investigation he personally oversaw -- is unauthorized leaks to the press. His setting of priorities seems unlikely to improve the CIA's success rate in judging foreign programs of weapons of mass destruction or preventing the next terrorist attack.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

This is hilarious. I wonder why nobody signed this editorial? So the CIA should tell Al-Qaeda where the supposed prisons are?

Do you think someone needs a diaper change?

Even MSNBC Contributor Doesn't Want to Watch MSNBC

04/28 02:43 AM

Washington Post reporter Jim VandeHei provoked quite a discussion yesterday by "officially complaining" that the White House TVs are always tuned to Fox News:

During a briefing led by White House spokesman Scott McClellan as President Bush was traveling to New Orleans, Louisiana, the Washington Post's Jim VandeHei asked why the White House televisions always seemed to be tuned to Fox News and if it was possible to have them tuned instead to CNN.

"It's come to my attention that there's been requests — this is a serious question — to turn these TVs onto a station other than Fox, and that those have been denied," VandeHei told McClellan, who is soon to be replaced by former Fox anchor and self-described conservative Tony Snow.

"My question would be, is there a White House policy that all government TVs have to be tuned to Fox?" VandeHei asked.

"Never heard of any such thing," McClellan responded. "My TVs are on four different channels at all times."

VandeHei noted that McClellan has four televisions in his office, and clarified that he was referring to the ones that reporters can see.

"They're always turned to Fox, which a lot of people consider a Republican-leaning network."

VandeHei noted that the televisions are paid for with taxpayer dollars.

"And my understanding is that you guys have to watch Fox on Air Force One. Is that true?"

McClellan said it was the first he had heard such a claim, and that it was not true.

"In fact, I've watched other channels on here," he said.

"I've never known anyone that's raised a complaint about a request from back here to watch a different channel," McClellan added.

VandeHei replied, "I'm officially raising it, and officially complaining about it."

McClellan then asked whether VandeHei had tried to have the change made.

"I was told — the quote was, 'No,' when I asked for CNN," the reporter said.

A few quick points: First, if White House officials watch Fox News instead of its cable competitors, that just makes them like everyone else in this country. Second, "a lot of people" consider CNN to be a Democrat-leaning network and wouldn't be suprised to learn that it's the channel that White House reporters prefer. Third, Jim VandeHei is a frequent MSNBC contributor, but he would still rather watch CNN.

I wonder if that will come up next time he's on Hardball

Edited by Cknolls

BYE BYE URANIUM PIE [Michael Ledeen]

This just in from one of my musically inclined correspondents:

Long long time ago, When you took hostages for show, You believe Allah told you to, Blame everythin' on those "evil" Jews

You're a fascist and a nut,

Must hang the queer, and stone the slut,

You're insecure and narcissistic,

Trying to make nukes to go ballistic

The U.N. won't do nothing,

But go around huffin and puffin,

China, Russia have your back,

That is until the U.S. attacks

We know your plan and intentions,

To disavow all Conventions,

Threatenin the world with suicide martyrs,

Wrong administration, this aint Carter's

Bush's numbers may be south,

So Mahmoud just runs his mouth,

But when the hour comes to pass,

The U.S. is gonna kick your ass

And you'll be singing

Bye Bye Uranium Pie,

Thought the world would just turn a blind eye,

Ayatollahs send out their suicide guys,

Chanting "Allah Tells Me to Die"

• 2 weeks later...

W.Va. Firms Footed Mollohan Trip

By John Bresnahan

Roll Call Staff

May 8, 2006

Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-W.Va.), his wife and two top aides took a five-day trip to Spain in June 2004 that was paid for by a group of government contractors for whom Mollohan steered tens of millions of dollars in earmarked funds, according to travel records and other documents.

I am glad this is still only a Republican problem.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
BYE BYE URANIUM PIE [Michael Ledeen]

This just in from one of my musically inclined correspondents:

Long long time ago, When you took hostages for show, You believe Allah told you to, Blame everythin' on those "evil" Jews

You're a fascist and a nut,

Must hang the queer, and stone the slut,

You're insecure and narcissistic,

Trying to make nukes to go ballistic

The U.N. won't do nothing,

But go around huffin and puffin,

China, Russia have your back,

That is until the U.S. attacks

We know your plan and intentions,

To disavow all Conventions,

Threatenin the world with suicide martyrs,

Wrong administration, this aint Carter's

Bush's numbers may be south,

So Mahmoud just runs his mouth,

But when the hour comes to pass,

The U.S. is gonna kick your ass

And you'll be singing

Bye Bye Uranium Pie,

Thought the world would just turn a blind eye,

Ayatollahs send out their suicide guys,

Chanting "Allah Tells Me to Die"

Thats f***ing hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fw: Really have to love this guy.

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War:

We win, they lose."

- Ronald Reagan

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

- Ronald Reagan

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

- Ronald Reagan

"Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong."

- Ronald Reagan

"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress."

- Ronald Reagan

"The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."

- Ronald Reagan

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."

- Ronald Reagan

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program."

- Ronald Reagan

"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting."

- Ronald Reagan

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

- Ronald Reagan

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

- Ronald Reagan

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

- Ronald Reagan

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

:usa

Senate Stops [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

to go see Al Gore's movie.

AP:

Former Vice President Al Gore debuted his global-warming documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," Wednesday night to a Washington audience that included members of Congress and Queen Noor of Jordan.

When he found out when the Washington screening was scheduled, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said he told Gore, "I'll make sure we're not going to have any votes tonight so we can come see your movie." Reid said the Bush administration has made a number of mistakes but that "nothing is comparable to his ignoring the death of our planet."

Posted at 10:48 PM

I think i'm goona cry. :crying

Thomas Friedman:

"The next six months in Iraq—which will determine the prospects for democracy-building there—are the most important six months in U.S. foreign policy in a long, long time." (New York Times, 11/30/03)

"What we're gonna find out, Bob, in the next six to nine months is whether we have liberated a country or uncorked a civil war." (CBS's Face the Nation, 10/3/04)

"Improv time is over. This is crunch time. Iraq will be won or lost in the next few months. But it won't be won with high rhetoric. It will be won on the ground in a war over the last mile." (New York Times, 11/28/04)

"I think we're in the end game now…. I think we're in a six-month window here where it's going to become very clear and this is all going to pre-empt I think the next congressional election—that's my own feeling— let alone the presidential one." (NBC's Meet the Press, 9/25/05)

"We've teed up this situation for Iraqis, and I think the next six months really are going to determine whether this country is going to collapse into three parts or more or whether it's going to come together."(CBS's Face the Nation, 12/18/05)

"We're at the beginning of I think the decisive I would say six months in Iraq, OK, because I feel like this election—you know, I felt from the beginning Iraq was going to be ultimately, Charlie, what Iraqis make of it." (PBS's Charlie Rose Show, 12/20/05)

"The only thing I am certain of is that in the wake of this election, Iraq will be what Iraqis make of it—and the next six months will tell us a lot. I remain guardedly hopeful." (New York Times, 12/21/05)

"I think that we're going to know after six to nine months whether this project has any chance of succeeding. In which case, I think the American people as a whole will want to play it out or whether it really is a fool's errand." (Oprah Winfrey Show, 1/23/06)

"I think we're in the end game there, in the next three to six months, Bob. We've got for the first time an Iraqi government elected on the basis of an Iraqi constitution. Either they're going to produce the kind of inclusive consensual government that we aspire to in the near term, in which case America will stick with it, or they're not, in which case I think the bottom's going to fall out." (CBS, 1/31/06)

"I think we are in the end game. The next six to nine months are going to tell whether we can produce a decent outcome in Iraq." (NBC's Today, 3/2/06)

"Can Iraqis get this government together? If they do, I think the American public will continue to want to support the effort there to try to produce a decent, stable Iraq. But if they don't, then I think the bottom is going to fall out of public support here for the whole Iraq endeavor. So one way or another, I think we're in the end game in the sense it's going to be decided in the next weeks or months whether there's an Iraq there worth investing in. And that is something only Iraqis can tell us." (CNN, 4/23/06)

"Well, I think that we're going to find out, Chris, in the next year to six months—probably sooner—whether a decent outcome is possible there, and I think we're going to have to just let this play out." (MSNBC's Hardball, 5/11/06)

Damn that NEXIS! (Hat tip: FAIR.)

Posted at 11:10 AM

How many days are there in six months?????

Not only is the world flat, but so too is Friedman's math.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Yeah, he sure fixed that problem :bang

yes he did. What the country then did was fail to develop a better system for the next couple decades.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 18, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
yes he did. What the country then did was fail to develop a better system for the next couple decades.

And the irony is that all repubs want to run around and say they are furthering the Reagan revolution... only in this case that isn't a good thing.

FNC O'REILLY 2,105,000

FNC HANNITY/COLMES 1,666,000

FNC GRETA 1,494,000

FNC HUME 1,341,000

FNC SHEP SMITH 1,215,000

CNN KING 885,000

CNN DOBBS 702,000

CNN BLITZER 592,000

CNN COOPER 590,000

CNN ZAHN 527,000

CNNHN GRACE 487,000

MSNBC HARDBALL 471,000

MSNBC OLBERMANN 406,000

Maybe Olbermann should nominate himself as worst person of the world daily. O'Reilly doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

And hardball's non-stop erection with the Libby case is proving a ratings coup.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 24, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
FNC O'REILLY 2,105,000

FNC HANNITY/COLMES 1,666,000

FNC GRETA 1,494,000

FNC HUME 1,341,000

FNC SHEP SMITH 1,215,000

CNN KING 885,000

CNN DOBBS 702,000

CNN BLITZER 592,000

CNN COOPER 590,000

CNN ZAHN 527,000

CNNHN GRACE 487,000

MSNBC HARDBALL 471,000

MSNBC OLBERMANN 406,000

Maybe Olbermann should nominate himself as worst person of the world daily. O'Reilly doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

And hardball's non-stop erection with the Libby case is proving a ratings coup.

YEah, it is kinda pathetic that Olberman's Worst person is always a conservative or a Republican. It is never , say, terrorists, child molestors or maybe that guy who ran over the family at the zoo a few days back. You know, real bad people. His ratings are a joke, even with MoveOn.org trying to throw their weight his way. He sucked on ESPN, he really sucks now.

Tuesday Night 5/23 8PM Cable News race:

1. O'Reilly - 1,674,000

2. Olbermann - 419,000

3. Nancy Grace (CNNHN) - 411,000

4. Zahn (CNN) - 385,000

Monday Night 5/22 8PM Cable News race:

1. O'Reilly - 2,105,000

2. Zahn - 527,000

3. Grace - 487,000

4. Olbermann - 406,000

Friday Night 5/19 8PM Cable News race:

1. O'Reilly - 1,915,000

2. Zahn - 436,000

3. Grace - 366,000

4. Olbermann - 349,000

Total Numbers April 2006 8PM Cable News race:

25-54 demo:

1. O'Reilly: 412,000 (-12%)

2. Olbermann: 169,000 (+37%)

3. Grace: 160,000 (+18%)

4. Zahn: 148,000 (-41%)

Total viewers:

1. O'Reilly: 2,102,000 (-4%)

2. Zahn: 605,000 (-20%)

3. Grace: 580,000 (+29%)

4. Olbermann: 452,000 (+28%)

Source: mediabistro.com

GENO'S SAYS: SPEAK ENGLISH

By Michelle Malkin · May 31, 2006 12:01 AM

If you know Philadelphia, you know Geno's. Best cheesesteaks in the world. Reader Willie S. sends word via the Philly Inquirer that Joey Vento, the grandson of Italian-born immigrants who owns Geno's, is taking a stand for assimilation and against illegal immigration. The Inquirer does its best to knock down Vento, but his blunt Philly style overrides the paper's wishy-washy open-borders slant:

How do you say cheesesteak with in Spanish?

Joseph Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, doesn't know. And he doesn't care.

Just read the laminated signs, festooned with American eagles, at his South Philadelphia cheesesteak emporium: This is America. When Ordering, Speak English.

Vento's political statement - from a man whose Italian-born grandparents spoke only broken English - captures the anger and discontent felt by many Americans about illegal immigrants...

...The Ventos rarely left their South Philadelphia neighborhood. Now, in a way, the neighborhood has left the couple's descendants. Geno's sits at Ninth and Passyunk, the hub of Little Italy turned home to thousands of Mexicans.

Some try to order a cheesesteak. And it bugs Vento if they can't ask for American cheese, provolone or the classic - Cheez Whiz - without pointing.

"If you can't tell me what you want, I can't serve you," he said. "It's up to you. If you can't read, if you can't say the word cheese, how can I communicate with you - and why should I have to bend?

"I got a business to run."

Vento, who lives in Shamong, put up the signs when the immigration debate seized national headlines six months ago.

With Geno's Steaks tattooed on his arm, Vento is used to publicizing things, especially what's on his mind. Speak English signs also poster his Hummer. He has driven through South Philadelphia blaring through the SUV's P.A. system denunciations of neighborhood business owners who hire illegal immigrants.

"I say what everybody's thinking but is afraid to say," Vento said.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Amen!!!!!