Levine: Garland To Be Traded

spiderman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
If I was JG, I'd ask for a 2 year $16 million contract...when that ends he's only 28, THEN...MONSTER DOLLARS!!!

You sure would undervalue yourself then, and possibly cost yourself money down the line.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
If I was JG, I'd ask for a 2 year $16 million contract...when that ends he's only 28, THEN...MONSTER DOLLARS!!!

Umm...he's gonna get 7 mill or so (maybe even 8) in arbitration. Why the hell would he do that. The guy could on the open market get himself a 5 to 6 yr deal worth a minimum of 11 mill per year and I'd think it could get as high as 13-13.5 mill a year.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)

So let's say he does that...and gets hurt during the 2nd year. What then?

His other option...play for liek $5 million or so this year somewhere, then hit the FA Market, sign a 5 year deal worth $60 million, and then be set for life even if he gets hurt? Or if he has a bad season?

So let's say he does that...and gets hurt during the 2nd year.  What then?

His other option...play for liek $5 million or so this year somewhere, then hit the FA Market, sign a 5 year deal worth $60 million, and then be set for life even if he gets hurt?  Or if he has a bad season?

IF my aunt Dorothy had balls, she'd be my uncle!

Seriously, if JG got hurt, he'd have to live on $16 million for the rest of his life...not too shabby.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)

Seriously, if JG got hurt, he'd have to live on $16 million for the rest of his life...not too shabby.

Come up with a point that has some balls. That's garbage. Garland has no reason whatsoever to take a package of 8 per for 2. Hell he just turned down 8 per for 3.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Come up with a point that has some balls.  That's garbage.  Garland has no reason whatsoever to take a package of 8 per for 2.  Hell he just turned down 8 per for 3.

Here's the question...if the Sox tried offering him $9-10 mil a year for 2 years, do you think he'd bite? Delay FA for 1 year for more money this coming year?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Here's the question...if the Sox tried offering him $9-10 mil a year for 2 years, do you think he'd bite?  Delay FA for 1 year for more money this coming year?

I seriously doubt it. First, he knows that if he doesn't sign with us, the odds are that he will be traded. The team that acquires him will probably have the intent on signing him, and also knows about what it will take to do so. Second, if he doesn't get traded, he's going to be a 27 year old FA pitcher with an 18 game winning season and post season experience on his resume. Third, if he waits a year, it just pushes back his opportunity to score big again on his next contract.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Let me ask...IF garland is worth $9mill per, what's Buehrle worth? $15mill? $17mill?

He may very well push that, depending on how FA prices on pitchers go this coming offseason (when you have big names like Garland and notably Zito potentially hitting the market). I think he'll probably wind up signing for roughly Konerko money, maybe with another year tacked on.

And I'd pay it too.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Still most fair deal: Elbert, Broxton, Jackson

Even with that, though, the major league component your getting is still just a relief pitcher. Even at his best, a relief pitcher is going to get what, 80 innings? Now, that's good, but I think I'd rather take out the prospect and get one of the main two, Guzman or Billingsley.

I don't know if the Dodgers would do this, but I'd do something like Guzman + Miller + Elbert... Two solid arms, but still neither has reached AAA yet, and one of their two top prospects.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Let me ask...IF garland is worth $9mill per, what's Buehrle worth? $15mill? $17mill?

This is why you trade Garland. -- Nobody is going to debate that Garland is better than Buehrle. We have to keep MB beyond '07.

The Sox should extend MB instead of picking up his '07 option. He'll easily be worth $9+M he's scheduled to make. They should extend him for 4/52 or something like that.

4/52 is much better spent on MB than say the 5/55 it would take to lock Garland up right now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
This is why you trade Garland. -- Nobody is going to debate that Garland is better than Buehrle. We have to keep MB beyond '07.

The Sox should extend MB instead of picking up his '07 option. He'll easily be worth $9+M he's scheduled to make. They should extend him for 4/52 or something like that.

4/52 is much better spent on MB than say the 5/55 it would take to lock Garland up right now.

Personally, if I were in KW's seat, sometime this winter I'd try calling up MB's agent & saying "We've got mark for 2 years right now at a bargain price, what do you think about turning that into 5 years?"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Personally, if I were in KW's seat, sometime this winter I'd try calling up MB's agent & saying "We've got mark for 2 years right now at a bargain price, what do you think about turning that into 5 years?"

That's essentially what I was saying, and KW may do just that. Trading Garland would precede that action though.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)

It may not be shabby, but he's going to get about 50 million more than that long term and he'd be an idiot to sign a 2yr 16 mill deal.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)

Technically speaking, on the open market I think Buehrle would get a little more than Garland. I'd reckon it would be somewhere around 13 mill per year (now he could take a discount with certain teams but if he were to go to the highest bidder, that would be the case).

Garland isn't worth much less than Buehrle, imo. Not in these market conditions.

On a sidenote, Gene, I like your ideas about Buehrle.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
What am I not seeing in Greg Miller?  His stats look pretty impressive but he's got 4 starts in AA and has only thrown 35 innings since '03.  He seems a little risky to be a main piece in a Garland deal.

Prior to his injury Miller was one of the bright spots in the Dodgers system. He has high upside and good stuff. I don't know much about how serious his injury was (I forget what it was) but assuming his stuff is back and he's healthy he's a guy whose value is at a low but has major upside.