Arbitration

SoxRock05

I have a question how arbitration works. I am still confused on what actually happens during the process. Can someone explain this? And how will this affect the Sox and Crede and Garland? Are they gone or will they be with us next year?

Thank you, I will hang up and listen to your comments. :bang

Players and Agents come in with a $ amount.

The team comes in with a $ amount.

The agent and player present their case about how they are so clutch and they deserve lots of bank.

The team presents their case that the player smells and grounds into too many double plays.

The Arbiter picks either the players $ amount or the team's $ amount.

This wont affect Crede. He'll sign a one year deal.

The Sox don't go to arbitration if they can help it. In fact, I can't remember the last time they participated in an arbitration hearing.

Garland has a chance to go to arb, because the Sox might be pissed, and would be trading him anyway. We'll see though. In general, the Sox try to avoid it because it's an ugly process where you tell a player to their face that they're not worth the money. and they smell.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Is there a minimum salary that a person going through arbitration must be paid?

I don't believe there is a floor, but one stipulation is that a player can't get less than 20% of what they were making the year before. That's why you see older players coming off of big contracts not get offered arbit for the next season, or players who were way overpaid in general.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
I don't believe there is a floor, but one stipulation is that a player can't get less than 20% of what they were making the year before.  That's why you see older players coming off of big contracts not get offered arbit for the next season, or players who were way overpaid in general.

I thought it was 60%...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
I phrased that wrong.  The biggest that they can get is a 20% pay cut is what I meant.  Maybe that changed, but that's how I remember it.

you are right. That goes for both arbitrations. Like if a team offers you arbitration after you filed for Free Agency. Same rules. Edited by White Sox Josh