Non-Tender Listing

RME JICO

What about Byrnes as a replacement for Perez, and Bradford as a replacement for Viz if the price is right?

STARTERS

----------------------------

RHP Kurt Ainsworth (BAL)

RHP Cha Seung Baek (SEA)

RHP Dewon Brazelton (SD)

RHP Josh Fogg (PIT)

RHP Ryan Franklin (SEA)

RHP Wade Miller (BOS)

RHP Wes Obermueller (ATL)

RHP Ramon Ortiz (CIN)

RELIEVERS

RHP Jose Acevedo (COL)

RHP Jon Adkins (CHW)

RHP Grant Balfour (MIN)

RHP Jeff Bennett (MIL)

RHP Chad Bradford (BOS)

RHP Joe Borowski (TB)

LHP Craig Breslow (SD)

RHP Jim Brower (ATL)

RHP Shawn Camp (KC)

RHP Felix Diaz (CHW)

RHP Jose Diaz (CLE)

LHP Wayne Franklin (NYY)

RHP Dan Kolb (MIL)

RHP Mike Lincoln (STL)

LHP Trever Miller (TB)

RHP Nick Reglio (TEX)

RHP Eddy Rodriguez (BAL)

RHP Joe Valentine (CIN)

RHP Tyler Yates (NYM)

CATCHERS

Pete LaForest (SD)

Mike Mahoney (STL)

Jason Phillips (LAD)

Mike Rose (TB)

Miguel Olivo (SD)

FIRST BASEMEN

Ken Harvey (KC)

Brian Myrow (LAD)

SECOND BASEMEN

Willie Harris (CHW)

Bo Hart (STL)

Junior Spivey (WAS)

THIRD BASEMEN

Joe Dillon (FLA)

Scott Seabol (STL)

Rick Short (WAS)

OUTFIELDERS

Hiram Bocachica (OAK)

Eric Byrnes (BAL)

Endy Chavez (PHI)

Mike Edwards (LAD)

Alex Escobar (WAS)

Wayne Lydon (NYM)

Timo Perez (CHW)

Ryan Spilborghs (COL)

Jamal Strong (SEA)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Chad Bradford would be a great replacement for Vizcaino. Bradford owns righties with his nasty delivery. Lefties rope him but they did the same to Vizcaino. He probably wouldn't cost too much and will likely have a better season than Vizcaino. Maybe try Trever Miller as a second lefty.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
I thought Olivo was supposed to be the man in SD?  Has he fallen out of favor already?

Olivo only played 37 games in San Diego last year. Ramon Hernandez is their guy.

I'd like to see an offer tendered to Joe Borowski.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Anyone have any idea why some teams make trades and then non-tender the players they receive?  For example, Atlanta traded Dan Kolb to Milwaukee for Wes Obermueller and then both players were non-tendered.  What is the benefit to each team?

Good question, I didn't even notice that. I guess there might have been some type of stipulation in their contracts that the trade would negate, then both teams could just non-tender them without paying money out of their pockets.

Also, they may be trying to pick them up at a lower price as an FA instead of tendering them a deal that they turn down anyway.

Those are my two guesses.

There are a couple of interesting names on there.

Bradford and Trever Miller are obvious possibilities, I also like Jamal Strong.

I don't know what Alex Escobar's story is (another injury?) but remember KW liked him before. They could use some minor league OF depth and insurance in case someone is injured.

I don't know what Alex Escobar's story is (another injury?) but remember KW liked him before.  They could use some minor league OF depth and insurance in case someone is injured.

I would be happy with both Bradford and Miller on cheap deals. Wasn't Jamal Strong busted for steroids?

Yep, here it is...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=sea

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)

I don't know what Alex Escobar's story is (another injury?) but remember KW liked him before.  They could use some minor league OF depth and insurance in case someone is injured.

If KW picks up Alex Escobar, then the Everett/Alomar-type jokes will start about how he continually picks up Escobar and then trades him for bona fide prospects. :headshake

I think Dan Kolb would be a nice addition, especially if Hermy is slow to recover from his back. I think Hermy and Politte are solid set-up men but Politte has been inconsistent over the years so if he struggles, we have Kolb who has also closed games in the past. This is the type of reliever that KW went after last year (ones that had closing experience...a sign of mental toughness?) so I could see him calling Kolb's agent.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
I think Dan Kolb would be a nice addition, especially if Hermy is slow to recover from his back.  I think Hermy and Politte are solid set-up men but Politte has been inconsistent over the years so if he struggles, we have Kolb who has also closed games in the past.  This is the type of reliever that KW went after last year (ones that had closing experience...a sign of mental toughness?) so I could see him calling Kolb's agent.

Kolbs mental toughness and closing ability flew out the window on the trip down to Atlanta last year. Maybe Coop could figure him out. Maybe he is Billy Koch redux.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
That should be in green

There is history here as well with young, high pick pitching prospects (i.e. Jason Grilli) being given a chance to compete in spring training. I think the way someone has operated in the past is a very telling indicator for how they will operate in the future. So with KW's history of taking chances on supposed can't miss pitching prospects, you never know.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Kolbs mental toughness and closing ability flew out the window on the trip down to Atlanta last year.  Maybe Coop could figure him out.  Maybe he is Billy Koch redux.

True. He struggled in Atlanta but he did a little better in the set up role after Reitsma and then Farnsworth became the closers. But look at how many closers struggled last year (Looper, Foulke, etc.) and there will be more this year (Jenks?) so it doesn't hurt to have a bullpen of set-up men that also have closed in the past instead of trying to break someone into the role. Also, Politte struggled after showing promise as a closer in Toronto and has been a solid set-up man. I think Kolb is definitely worth a look.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
True.  He struggled in Atlanta but he did a little better in the set up role after Reitsma and then Farnsworth became the closers.  But look at how many closers struggled last year (Looper, Foulke, etc.) and there will be more this year (Jenks?) so it doesn't hurt to have a bullpen of set-up men that also have closed in the past instead of trying to break someone into the role.  Also, Politte struggled after showing promise as a closer in Toronto and has been a solid set-up man.  I think Kolb is definitely worth a look.

Two syllables for you

Bor ASS

Enough Said