Hussein alleges he was beaten in captivity.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/21/...rial/index.html

I laughed for 10 minutes straight after reading this. 

I strongly doubt this is true but even if it is does anyone really give a s***?

I give a s***. I really doubt it's true, but yes, I care. I care because we're better than that. We don't treat people like that - even pieces of s*** like him.

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
I give a s***. I really doubt it's true, but yes, I care. I care because we're better than that. We don't treat people like that - even pieces of s*** like him.

Oh really? Ask about 70% of soxtalkers in this forum, and they all will swear up and down we do this, all the time. And enjoy it.

/end of snarky post - yea, the green part really is green.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Oh really?  Ask about 70% of soxtalkers in this forum, and they all will swear up and down we do this, all the time.  And enjoy it.

/end of snarky post - yea, the green part really is green.

Yeah, again, that's why I've stayed away recently.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
I strongly doubt this is true but even if it is does anyone really give a s***?

I thought we were in Iraq to set up a democracy. Democracy isn't about beating and torturing prisoners of war (which I am not claiming happened in this case). So if it's cool for us to do things like this then we seem like hypocrites in Iraq where we expect them to set up a civilized democracy.

You claim to be anti-communist (in your avatar) but you are all for Communist tactics.

Who here wouldn't beat the HELL out of Hussain and/or Bin Laden if they were given the opportunity?

Me.

And I'd have them on trial for war crimes at The Hague, not at our puppet trial that almost no one else in the world believes has legitimacy.

Of course, I'm referring to Hussein. Who's this Bin Laden you speak of? Is he that really bad guy we used to hear so much about?

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Me.

And I'd have them on trial for war crimes at The Hague, not at our puppet trial that almost no one else in the world believes has legitimacy.

Of course, I'm referring to Hussein.  Who's this Bin Laden you speak of?  Is he that really bad guy we used to hear so much about?

Considering they found Hussein with a gun, they should of just shot him dead right there in the spiderhole, took a few pictures to prove he is dead and then kicked some dirt over him. Then we wouldnt have people in a fit that the former iraqi thug is having his poor rights trampled on. He and his kids could be having a nice reunion in hell.

They should of killed Bin Laden years before when a predator had him in his gunsights. But a previous president thought that it was a law enforcement issue instead of a war issue.

Bin Laden could of been killed long time ago

Edited by southsideirish71

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda.

It’s not about “his poor rights being trampled on.” It’s about providing an entire region with a shining example of the benefits of democracy. I was pretty surprised when I started studying up on this subject. I really had no idea of the skepticism or contempt with which MOST of the rest of the world views this trial.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Coulda.  Shoulda.  Woulda.

It’s not about “his poor rights being trampled on.”  It’s about providing an entire region with a shining example of the benefits of democracy.  I was pretty surprised when I started studying up on this subject.  I really had no idea of the skepticism or contempt with which MOST of the rest of the world views this trial.

huh?

Yea, put him on trial in Europe not Iraq. Good idea

As far as a shining example of democracy, the people in that region don't want that. They want radical religious theocracies. Sooner or later mr.president may realize this.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah, because there's clearly no difference between being tried by a European court than by an "International" court.

I think Iraq has the right to try him in Iraq. If they want they can send it off to some 'international' court in Europe. Or maybe just give him a seat on the UN human rights council.

lol

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
I think Iraq has the right to try him in Iraq.  If they want they can send it off to some 'international' court in Europe.  Or maybe just give him a seat on the UN human rights council.

lol

Just out of curiosity, did we actually give the Iraqis the right to choose whether or not he should go to that court?

Oh, and the UN human rights commission reform effort was seriously undermined a few weeks ago by Ambassador Bolton. Guess he wanted you to continue to be able to say bad things about it.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
I think we (United States) did.

Actually, upon doing a bit of reading/recalling...the ICC is only empowered with charging people for war crimes committed after it was created, so it really couldn't deal with Saddam since virtually everything he did happened before the ICC formed. The only other option would be a UN special Tribunal, a-la Milosevic. Did the U.S. present that option? I havent' a clue, although I doubt it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
  The only other option would be a UN special Tribunal, a-la Milosevic.  Did the U.S. present that option?  I havent' a clue, although I doubt it.

I don't know if the US brought it up or not, I would think that there are legal scholars in Iraq that know this option exists. I am pretty sure that Iraq insisted on having the trial in Iraq (probably because they want to execute him).

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't know if the US brought it up or not, I would think that there are legal scholars in Iraq that know this option exists.  I am pretty sure that Iraq insisted on having the trial in Iraq (probably because they want to execute him).

After a bit more reading...I think the Iraqi "leadership" did insist on having the trial in Iraq, but that was entirely the U.S. Appointed Iraqi Governing council, the first (and badly failed) attempt to make it look like the Iraqis were actually running the show there. By the time even "Sovereignty" was transferred, he was already in our hands and the tribunal which would try him had already been set up. So no "Sovereign" government ever was given the chance to make that choice, much less an elected one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
After a bit more reading...I think the Iraqi "leadership" did insist on having the trial in Iraq, but that was entirely the U.S. Appointed Iraqi Governing council, the first (and badly failed) attempt to make it look like the Iraqis were actually running the show there.  By the time even "Sovereignty" was transferred, he was already in our hands and the tribunal which would try him had already been set up.  So no "Sovereign" government ever was given the chance to make that choice, much less an elected one.

If I had to wager, which I often do, I would place a large amount of money on any elected Iraqi government having the trial in Iraq and executing him.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
As far as a shining example of democracy, the people in that region don't want that.  They want  radical religious theocracies.  Sooner or later mr.president may realize this.

Wow. Nice sweeping judgement. And totally inaccurate. Many of those countries HAVE those governments, but even in places like Iran, the majority of people in the country scratch and claw for western freedoms of all kinds.

Its really pretty sad that some people (like you, apparently) think that everyone from the Middle East is a radical fundamentalist maniac.