The lastest on Garland

Guest JimH

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
i have a question about this bedard fellow, its the first i've heard of him, whats he like?

Decent pitcher, lefty, decent fastball. Very cheap - only makes league minimum. Probably the O's best pitcher when he's healthy. Had some problems staying healthy in the past though. The O's really started to fall apart when he went on the DL last year. Pitched about 140 innings each of the last 2 years. Had Tommy John surgery a few years ago.

I love that some retard regurgitating on a keyboard got 8 responses and my two solidly cited quotes from reputable newspapers are ignored.

Haha. Your sources were interesting. The second one sounds like a rumor someone from an MLB.com message board would make up though. But it's interesting that the White Sox offered Garland for Bedard. Would he have been in our bullpen?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I love that some retard regurgitating on a keyboard got 8 responses and my two solidly cited quotes from reputable newspapers are ignored.

Yours was vastly less entertaingly stupid.

Honestly though, I can't figure out why we'd want to do Bedard for Garland in any way shape or form, simply because we already have 6 starting pitchers, and that wouldn't solve the problem. If we're trading Garland for pitching, then I want pitching who's arbitration clock hasn't started yet.

Decent pitcher, lefty, decent fastball.  Very cheap - only makes league minimum.  Probably the O's best pitcher when he's healthy.  Had some problems staying healthy in the past though.  The O's really started to fall apart when he went on the DL last year.  Pitched about 140 innings each of the last 2 years.  Had Tommy John surgery a few years ago.

Low 90's fastball, good curveball and change, and good control. And you already mentioned the injury issues.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)

I saw it Gene. It makes sense to me. Bedard is a solid young pitcher, however the Sox would need to get bullpen help and something else out of it.

I didn't even post on the 4 team deal cause I figure it has zero chance of happening. I still don't understand why Bmore can't figure out that they need to go address pitching. f*** Manny Ramirez (and I think he's the best hitter in baseball), go get yourself some capable starting pitching and worry about the offense later.

They have the money to ink Jon long term, although I don't know if they have the prospects it would take to get Jon (in the sense of what I'd like).

Bedard put up a 4.00 ERA and is Garland's age. The only problem is the kid has never thrown much any innings and has some serious durability issues. I know the O's have that kid Penn, but I don't think of him on the same level as the Dodgers pitching prospects.

I didn't even post on the 4 team deal cause I figure it has zero chance of happening.  I still don't understand why Bmore can't figure out that they need to go address pitching.  f*** Manny Ramirez (and I think he's the best hitter in baseball), go get yourself some capable starting pitching and worry about the offense later.

The main reason the Orioles have sucked for so many years.

QUOTE(kramer99 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
I think some of may overlook the negative Public Relations that the sox would get if they trade garland and get nothing in return... If we get top prospects the sox can say they are preparing for the future, If we get bullpen help they can say we get immediate help now....but if we get low level prospects and a crappy bullpen guy, the PR would be terrible. To some fans it would seem like we are dismantleing the pitching staff strictly for money.

i would understand if KW has to save money on the payroll ...but if gets nothing in return, it could end up costing the sox alot of money too. It is important that the sox keep looking like they are making moves to win again in 2006 and in 2007, 2008 and 2009. :gosox1:

I actually disagree that the sox would get negative PUB. We won the world series. KW is a god right now, we added 15 million to payroll, added a solid rotation guy, a huge star in thome, and a coveted all purpose guy. I think we have done alot. Garland is not worth a negative pub story. In fact before last year the pub was if we should even keep the 500 pitcher. Garland is not a superstar.

QUOTE(Chek2002 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
I saw this rumor out there:

"Reports now indicate that now the Chicago White Sox may be the third team involved in the Tejada deal. The trade would have to be something like this: The Cubs get Tejada and cash , and Baltimore gets Contreras, Garland, and OF prospect Ryan Sweeney from the White Sox, and the White Sox get Prior and a prospect from Baltimore." It's no secret Kenny Williams has been trying to move Jon Garland, who's already turned down at least one contract extension. This deal would greatly improve Baltimore's rotation giving them two front of the rotation starters in one shot. It would also give the White Sox more room financially to sign Buehrle to an extension after the '07 season."

What do you think?

who made this up

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Bedard put up a 4.00 ERA and is Garland's age.  The only problem is the kid has never thrown much any innings and has some serious durability issues.  I know the O's have that kid Penn, but I don't think of him on the same level as the Dodgers pitching prospects.

didn't adam loewen (sp?) start to put it together this year? i think he's considered to have ace stuff if he ever makes it. dodgers still have better guys; just thowing the name out there.

Not bad, you get yourself a package like Loewen, Bedard, and than a major league reliever and I could live. I think we could do better, but I'll admit that I think if healthy both Loewen and Bedard are good pitchers.

Loewen has some filthy stuff but is still raw. He's had control problems but made some strides and can flat out blow away people.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Not bad, you get yourself a package like Loewen, Bedard, and than a major league reliever and I could live.  I think we could do better, but I'll admit that I think if healthy both Loewen and Bedard are good pitchers.

Loewen has some filthy stuff but is still raw.  He's had control problems but made some strides and can flat out blow away people.

i'm guessing he was out of high school?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Yes.  I believe he's also had at least some limited health problems in the past, which is probably why he's still in their mid-level minor leagues.

If he had any health issues they couldn't have been serious. He pitched in Low A for most of 04, and than a little in High A and than pitched in High A in all of 05.

Made 27 starts in 05 (28 games)

Made 21 starts in 04

He gives up under a hit per inning in his career and almost k's one per inning. Problem is he walks 5.45 per nine. He was the 4th overall selection in 2002 (however he turned into a draft and follow and signed in 03). The guy is 6-6 and has a nice frame for a lefty. He would have been a likely 1st round pick as a hitter as well.

Throws a good fastball (low to Md 90's) and has a big breaking curve (his best pitch). Shows good feel for the changeup (still developing it though) and is working on a slider. Has a very smooth delivery, but needs to work on repeating it (with that he'll see improved command, especially on his secondary pitches).

Quite a few scouts felt he had the best breaking ball in the Carolina league (thats a league that included Gio Gonzalez by the way).

The guy had an ERA in the upper 4's at the all star break and went on a total run in the 2nd half of the season as he made quite a few strides. This guy could be a quick riser and has a lot of upside. Add in Bedard and another guy and I'd really like this deal.

Or you can go after Penn and add two more good prospects (let Bmore decide). The nice thing about Bedard is that he'll be cheap for a few more years and when he's healthy he's had success in the majors. Plus he's a lefty that could fit in the pen and if one of our other starters faltered or were injured we could make use of him.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
i'm guessing he was out of high school?

He was drafted out of high school. Basically he was a consensus as the best player to ever come out of Canada (highest drafted Canadian). The O's ended up totally low balling him (scouts loved this kid and immediately thought super star potential). He ended up going to JC and turned into a draft and follow and the O's signed him hr's before the deadline (when he would have re-entered the draft in 2003) to a major league deal (got a good signing bonus too, something in the upper 4's, maybe even low 5's).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
He was drafted out of high school.  Basically he was a consensus as the best player to ever come out of Canada (highest drafted Canadian).  The O's ended up totally low balling him (scouts loved this kid and immediately thought super star potential).  He ended up going to JC and turned into a draft and follow and the O's signed him hr's before the deadline (when he would have re-entered the draft in 2003) to a major league deal (got a good signing bonus too, something in the upper 4's, maybe even low 5's).

awesome, no further questions your honor

I absolutely love Bedard, if he can stay healthy I think he's just going to be an outstanding pitcher. That being said, I'd want a solid spect and a solid bullpen arm to go along with Bedard, a lot to ask for but I think it's doable.

Edited by Rowand44

I should add. Loewen's 2004 season was cut short with a frayed labrum. He didn't have surgery and instead worked on an off-season routine to help strengthen his shoulder.

He pitched exceptional in the AFL in 05 posting a 1.67 ERA in 7 games (6 starts). Limited opponents to 19 hits in 27 innings while walking 14 and striking out 26.