Twins sign Rondell White

SSH2005

The Twinkies have found their DH.

Twins signed outfielder Rondell White to a one-year, $3.25 million contract with an option for 2007.

White will earn $2.5 million next year and there's a $750,000 buyout of his option years. The option would become guaranteed if White has 400 plate appearances next year, with the price of the option depending on his plate appearance total. If he has 650 plate appearances each year, he would earn $8.5 million. White should be a DH primarily, though he can also see time in right field when necessary. His 837 OPS last season would have been the second-highest total of Jacque Jones' career, so he should be rather helpful in the middle of the lineup.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
My brother, who's a Cub fan, used to call him Ron"DL" White when he played on the North Side.  When healthy (which is almost never), he's a solid bat.

RonDL White. I like that. Smart for the Twins that they put plate appearance clause in there. They'll be lucky if he gets 400 ABs next year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
I hope Frank retires.  :snow

Unless anyone knows different, it doesn't seem like the A's seem to be in a hurry to sign him. Plus, where would they play him? Dan Johnson seems to be the most likely candidate to DH for them next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Rondell can play when healthy, not a bad move for the Twins.

this is what I am thinking

but I am still thinking we are still going to go after Piazza or Thomas

or work a trade with someone

if not... 06 its going to be a painful year

unless all the young guys learn how to hit in the offseason

this is what I am thinking

but I am still thinking we are still going to go after Piazza or Thomas

or work a trade with someone

if not... 06 its going to be a painful year

unless all the young guys learn how to hit in the offseason

The Score here in Chicago is saying that the Twins' pursuit of Frank Thomas is now over with the addition of Rondell White. The Twins will use White primarily as their DH and maybe start him every so often in the outfield.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
The Score here in Chicago is saying that the Twins' pursuit of Frank Thomas is now over with the addition of Rondell White.  The Twins will use White primarily as their DH and maybe start him every so often in the outfield.

Ok, so that leaves me with this question...how many teams are there remaining who might actually be interested in Frank? Oakland and Minny were the 2 obvious teams who needed a DH to produce runs. They've filled that role...now who's left? Ditto Piazza, who's still out there.

I'm just wondering what might happen if May rolls around, Frank is healthy enough to throw together a few pinch hits, and we decide we could use a right handed bat off the bench (a guy can always hope can't he?)

Ok, so that leaves me with this question...how many teams are there remaining who might actually be interested in Frank?  Oakland and Minny were the 2 obvious teams who needed a DH to produce runs.  They've filled that role...now who's left?  Ditto Piazza, who's still out there.

I'm just wondering what might happen if May rolls around, Frank is healthy enough to throw together a few pinch hits, and we decide we could use a right handed bat off the bench (a guy can always hope can't he?)

A's

Angels

Orioles

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
A's

Angels

Orioles

With the A's acquiring Bradley, I can't see them having need for Frank unless someone gets hurt. If you count Swisher, they have 4 outfielders and Johnson as a 1b man. Swisher can also play 1b, which basically means that they'll probably be moving Johnson, who's bat they're still very high on, to DH most of the time. I just don't see them having room for Frank, even for limited at bats, unless they move someone out of there, which I don't see Beane doing.

The Angels do make a fair amount of sense, but personally if I were their GM I'd have given Piazza's agent a call a few times, just because I know that my catching situation right now was a disaster and he'd be a serviceable backup to go along with DHing. But of course, right now the Angels don't seem like they want to do anything major until they know for a fact that they won't be getting Ramirez.

The Orioles make very little sense either, since they just signed a 2nd catcher in Ramon Hernandez. They also have Javy Lopez, and you really don't want to put either of those guys sitting on the bench unless they're not healthy enough to play (entirely possible, but you won't know until the season really gets going). They really don't have an obvious room for a DH who would like a couple hundred at bats.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Why don't the Orioles make sense?  The Orioles said they would probably move Javy Lopez to first base with the addition of Ramon Hernandez.

C  Ramon Hernandez

1B  Javy Lopez

DH  Frank Thomas

Ok, I can't say I ever saw those reports, the only ones I saw had them using Lopez/Hernandez to DH and Catch.

Definately no Frank or Piazza for the Twins...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5189218

Twins sign veteran White to serve as DH

The Twins have signed free-agent outfielder Rondell White to be their designated hitter, FOXSports.com has learned.

White, 33, will receive a one-year contract worth $3.25 million with a vesting option for 2007. He likely will play the outfield only if one of the Twins' regular outfielders is injured.

White's option will vest only if he reaches 400 plate appearances, a number that will be easily within reach if he stays healthy. Serving as a full-time DH could help him avoid the injuries that have hampered him throughout his career.

The price of the option would depend on White's number of plate appearances, and would be no lower than $3 million. If White reaches 550 plate appearances in each of the two seasons, he will earn a total of $7 million. That sum will increase to $7.75 million if he reaches 600 plate appearances in each season and $8.5 million if he reaches 650 plate appearances both years

Edited by SSH2005