Diamondbacks looking to trade Troy Glaus

SSH2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5190880

The Diamondbacks, moving aggressively to trade third baseman Troy Glaus, are in serious discussions with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles and an unidentified National League club, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Red Sox and Blue Jays are the front-runners for Glaus, according to an official from one of the interested clubs. The Sox, Jays and Orioles likely would move Glaus to first base, a position he has not played in his eight-year major-league career.

Glaus, 29, has limited no-trade protection in the four-year, $45 million contract he signed with the Diamondbacks last off-season. He would need to approve a deal to the Blue Jays, according to a source with knowledge of his contract. It is not known whether the other suitors are on his no-trade list.

The Diamondbacks, trying to add pitching, believe they can unload Glaus without paying any of the $32.75 million that he is owed in the final three years of his contract, sources say.

The Jays offered second baseman Orlando Hudson for Glaus, and probably would be willing to part with right-hander Miguel Batista as well if they obtained another player in the deal.

The Diamondbacks have discussed left-hander Erik Bedard from the Orioles and a number of other options. It is not known which Red Sox players the D-Backs are targeting, but Arizona's new general manager, Josh Byrnes, previously was the Red Sox's assistant G.M. The Sox have been protective of their young pitching in trade discussions.

A trade of Glaus would enable the Diamondbacks to move Chad Tracy from right field to third base. Shawn Green would go from center to right, and Conor Jackson and Tony Clark would share time at first.

Glaus batted .258 with 37 homers and 97 RBIs in his first season with the Diamondbacks, appearing in 149 games. Friends of his believe that he might be even more productive in '06. Glaus was unable to work on his upper body last off-season while recovering from shoulder surgery.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Boggled my mind why they signed him in the first place.

It's beginning to irritate me how teams are squirming out of long term contracts. In a perfect baseball utopia, I wish teams with long term deals were forced to endure the player's production, good or bad, throughout the duration of the contract.

How many long term contracts (four or more years) have been fulfilled recently?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Boggled my mind why they signed him in the first place.

So if they trade him and get some decent prospects in return (i.e. what Florida did with Delgado) then they've spent a few million dollars for 1 year's worth of production and a couple of prospects who could give them several good years at a bargain price. If they pull that off, it sounds like a fairly intelligent strategy to me. Guys like Delgado, Glaus, big money guys wind up with big money teams anyway, but the smaller teams strip the big money teams of prospects in the process.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I wonder is KW is trying to work any multi team deals using this as leverage.  Give up Garland and get some top prospects from more than one team.

That may very well be the best way to do it...unless the Dodgers are willing to part with one of their guys, Garland is a nice chip for a team to toss into a big deal. KW also has a history of doing it - i.e. the Nomar, Magglio, ARod mess.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)

Don't they have enough 3b/1b, Glaus is a very good player dont get me wrong but they are a little overstocked at that position as it is. Though I'm sure Hinske would probably be going to Arizona in this deal.

Edited by Rowand44

Blue Jays, D-Backs reach tentative deal on Glaus

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5192008

The Blue Jays have reached a tentative agreement to obtain third baseman Troy Glaus from the Diamondbacks, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is contingent on a physical, which Glaus is expected to take Monday in Toronto. A press conference is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday.

In return for Glaus, the Diamondbacks are expected to acquire second baseman Orlando Hudson and right-hander Miguel Batista. The Jays also might receive a prospect in the deal.

Glaus, 29, had the power to invoke the limited no-trade protection in his contract to block a trade to Toronto, but he apparently has agreed to waive that right and approve the deal.

Glaus, Hillenbrand, Overbay, Hinske, Koskie.  Someone want to explain to me how that is going to work?

Insane. They can only start 3 of them (1B, 3B, DH). I could have seen the Twins trying to trade for Koskie to get him back but they just signed Tony Batista. Pretty crazy situation. All of them either play 3B, 1B, or both.

Am I the only one that thinks that the Diamondback absolutely rape the Blue Jays in this deal? As previously mentioned, the Blue Jays have 5 or 6 guys to cram into 3 positions. Hudson and Batista are 2 quality players. The Diamondbacks are going to have a solid infield and this bolsters their pitching staff. I don't know if they are going to have Batista as a closer or starter but it is still quite the addition. I know the DBacks had Lyon as the closer so I don't know where their going with that one but it is still a good deal for them.

I think its a solid move by eac hteams. Of course this all depends on what the Jays can do with there bevy of 1st/3rd baseman.

However Glaus is a force in the middle of a lineup. He can hit for 40 hrs if he stays healthy over the full course of a season and the Jays could use a big bat.

At the same time Batista goes back to Az. He's a solid pitcher and can close if necessary and Hudson is a good infielder. I don't watch enough of Hudson, but I remember quite a few people always raving about Orlando. I never understood it but I always figured thats probably because I don't watch or pay much any attention to the Jays.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Insane.  They can only start 3 of them (1B, 3B, DH).  I could have seen the Twins trying to trade for Koskie to get him back but they just signed Tony Batista.  Pretty crazy situation.  All of them either play 3B, 1B, or both.

Remember with Batista his contract isn't guaranteed if they release him before opening day, so they could still actually trade for Koskie if they wished.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I think its a solid move by eac hteams.  Of course this all depends on what the Jays can do with there bevy of 1st/3rd baseman.

However Glaus is a force in the middle of a lineup.  He can hit for 40 hrs if he stays healthy over the full course of a season and the Jays could use a big bat. 

At the same time Batista goes back to Az.  He's a solid pitcher and can close if necessary and Hudson is a good infielder.  I don't watch enough of Hudson, but I remember quite a few people always raving about Orlando.  I never understood it but I always figured thats probably because I don't watch or pay much any attention to the Jays.

I know Josh Byrnes for a while was trying to attach Luis Gonzalez to any Troy Glaus deal, but they become unfeasible. Still I think he's done a pretty solid job here, and in the off-season as well. Their payroll had to come down from $67M to about $60M, and trading Glaus and Vazquez will have helped that immensely.

I'd expect Craig Counsell to start at SS and Hudson at 2B, which is a pretty solid middle infield combo. Still Hudson only had a .315 OBP in 2005 which probably highlights how Willie Harris was undervalued here. That definitely needs to improve if he wants to stick around in the desert.

Miguel Batista's role will be interesting though. Right now the D-Backs have a rotation of Webb, Halsey, Ortiz, Vargas and El Duque. Batista could be used as a starter to replace Halsey or Vargas if they don't perform in spring training, or he could be used as a set-up man or even a closer depending on what they want to do with "Big Papa" Jose Valverde. But at least their bullpen should be better then what it was.