Diamondbacks looking to trade Troy Glaus

SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Insane.  They can only start 3 of them (1B, 3B, DH).  I could have seen the Twins trying to trade for Koskie to get him back but they just signed Tony Batista.  Pretty crazy situation.  All of them either play 3B, 1B, or both.

My guess would be they play Glaus at DH, Overbay at 1st, and Koskie at 3rd. Hinske could come off the bench as he's not that good anyways, but that leaves Hillebrand who is a pretty good hitter and who had a good year in '05. Maybe they trade him for some relief pitching or prospects.

The Blue Jays are going wild and just trying to get anybody they can. It should be interesting to see how it turns out, I think they will be regretting this in a few years.

QUOTE(TheHawkaroo @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
My guess would be they play Glaus at DH, Overbay at 1st, and Koskie at 3rd. Hinske could come off the bench as he's not that good anyways, but that leaves Hillebrand who is a pretty good hitter and who had a good year in '05. Maybe they trade him for some relief pitching or prospects.

The Blue Jays are going wild and just trying to get anybody they can. It should be interesting to see how it turns out, I think they will be regretting this in a few years.

Glaus has got a no trade clause though. He might not move to Toronto unless they guarantee him that he'll play at third base.

And yeah Hillenbrand's pretty much a shoo - in to be traded at this point, unless some team like the Twinkies bites on Corey Koskie or Eric Hinske.

ESPN today briefly reported this trade was done, now they're just saying it's "close". The deal is Glaus and a prospect going to Toronto, Miguel Batista and Orlando Hudson going to the Diamondbacks.

I can't say that this is as good of a deal as I hoped for Toronto as written, simply because they're having to give up major league talent, to try to get him, and they're getting prospects back in the process. Toronto is clearly making an effort to pass Boston this year when Boston seems to be going obviously down and the Yankees still are locked into a few horrific pitching contracts (Although not as bad as last year, when we broke through). Glaus can help them, but he's a big risk, especially if you have to weaken your bullpen in the process.

If Toronto could do this deal only giving up 1 major leaguer, I'd tell them to go for it (Koskie + cash plus prospects would have been what I'd have tried to do). But having to give up ML talent really hurts them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
I know Josh Byrnes for a while was trying to attach Luis Gonzalez to any Troy Glaus deal, but they become unfeasible. Still I think he's done a pretty solid job here, and in the off-season as well. Their payroll had to come down from $67M to about $60M, and trading Glaus and Vazquez will have helped that immensely.

I'd expect Craig Counsell to start at SS and Hudson at 2B, which is a pretty solid middle infield combo. Still Hudson only had a .315 OBP in 2005 which probably highlights how Willie Harris was undervalued here. That definitely needs to improve if he wants to stick around in the desert.

Miguel Batista's role will be interesting though. Right now the D-Backs have a rotation of Webb, Halsey, Ortiz, Vargas and El Duque. Batista could be used as a starter to replace Halsey or Vargas if they don't perform in spring training, or he could be used as a set-up man or even a closer depending on what they want to do with "Big Papa" Jose Valverde. But at least their bullpen should be better then what it was.

He is the best defensive second baseman in the league ( no one can say he is not one of the type 2-3). He could have a .315 obp every year and be more valuable than half his team. He should be in the majors for a long time.

Edited by qwerty