ANOTHER football team in Chicago?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...1,2857966.story

Daley floats stadium plan

Mayor hopes to lure 2nd football team, Olympics to Chicago

By Kathy Bergen

December 23, 2005

Looking for ways to build a domed stadium to enhance a possible bid for the 2016 Olympics, Mayor Richard Daley has privately floated the idea of trying to lure a second NFL team to Chicago, sources close to the situation told the Tribune.

A new stadium that could hold at least 80,000 people is among many facilities expected to be required of an Olympics host city. A stadium that large could open the door to other high-profile sporting events, including the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament as well as the Super Bowl. The city doesn't have an indoor facility large enough to hold such events.

A stadium also would be used for opening and closing ceremonies at the Olympics, as well as track and field events. Such a facility could cost between $600 million and $1 billion to construct, observers say.

The renovated Soldier Field seats 61,500, the second-smallest capacity in the NFL.

A second NFL team would be a long shot. The league's top priority is to try to keep the New Orleans Saints in their hurricane-battered hometown. After that, Los Angeles, a city without an NFL team, is viewed as next in line for any franchise transplant or expansion.

And any team that would consider Chicago most likely would have to pay a hefty fee to the Chicago Bears to compensate for moving into their territory.

"This sounds like the ultimate trial balloon that turns into a lead zeppelin," said Terry Lefton, editor-at-large for Sports Business Journal, when told of the local discussions.

Still, the mayor is known for following through on grand plans, most recently with the creation of Millennium Park. And unlike in 1997, when he opted against making a bid for the 2008 Olympics, Daley is seriously considering a bid for the 2016 Summer Games.

"Chicago really has grown as a world-class city and has shown that our business community is willing to step up to the plate on big projects," said Jodi Kawada, deputy press secretary to the mayor. "So, we're well-positioned to take on an event like the Olympics."

Asked whether Daley would like to bring in another NFL team as a way to get a new stadium, she said, "I've not heard anything about that." Daley was unavailable for comment.

A handful of city business leaders say they have heard about it.

"He threw it out as one possibility," said a prominent businessman who has had private conversations with the mayor. "He'd love to have a second team in Chicago."

So far, the remarks seem to be "pie in the sky" thinking, said the businessman, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

But Daley has been tossing around the idea, at least in a casual way, with a number of business leaders as he scouts for a corporate executive to take a leadership role in a possible bid for the Olympics.

Just last week he brought up the idea during a lunch meeting with a small group of business leaders, according to one source who was briefed on the meeting.

At the same meeting, he also suggested building a stadium on a site near the University of Illinois at Chicago, so it could be used later by that institution, the source said.

The idea of importing another football team hasn't reached the NFL, which on Thursday said it had heard nothing of it. A decision to move a team would require a favorable vote by 24 of 32 team owners.

One big hurdle for a second team would be trying to negotiate within the NFL broadcasting contract given the potential conflicting game schedules.

Chicago has a history as a two-team football town. It hosted the Chicago Cardinals from 1922 to 1959 at Comiskey Park. That team then moved to St. Louis and later to Phoenix.

People familiar with the city's discussions about a possible Olympic bid said Daley is insisting that a stadium and other facilities, such as an Olympic village housing complex for athletes, not become white elephants when the games are over.

"If it is a concept that really entails reusable or sustainable buildings, facilities, then he'd be fully behind it," one source said.

Other key factors will be whether outside funding is available, and whether the games would rejuvenate large areas of the city, the source said.

The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to revise bidding requirements after the Winter Games in Turin, Italy, in February. Chicago officials intend to meet with the USOC at that point, said Michael Segobiano, the mayoral aide who is coordinating the city's efforts.

"Then, we'll have a better understanding of the expectations of a 2016 host city," he said, "and at that point we can proceed to do a more comprehensive review."

As far as the NFL is concerned, several teams are viewed as candidates for possible moves, observers say.

"The obvious one is New Orleans," said Sports Business Journal's Lefton.

Teams in older stadiums are other possibilities, he said, citing the Minnesota Vikings, the Miami Dolphins and the San Francisco 49ers.

But Chicago's chances of winning another team are slim to none, Lefton said.

"The NFL wants to keep the Saints in New Orleans and to put a team in L.A.," he said. "From a league perspective, those priorities are much higher than an additional team in Chicago.

One local observer questions whether it makes economic sense for Chicago to invest in another stadium.

"Stadiums are used too few hours a year to make it profitable," said Allen Sanderson, a sports economist at the University of Chicago. "They only exist because municipalities prop them up financially.

"If Chicago had a second team, it would be utter stupidity if it weren't forced to play in the same facility."

Sanderson, who considers the renovation of Soldier Field a "huge mistake," said, "It's too small for the city and for the Olympics."

Preparing a city for an Olympics is a very expensive proposition, and cost overruns are the norm, Sanderson said. Athens, for example, ended up with costs of $14.6 billion for the 2004 Games, more than double the original estimate of $5.9 billion, he said. He added that overruns can lead to debt obligations for extended periods.

In the short run, Olympics "almost uniformly end up costing more and producing less than a city thought," said Carl Tannenbaum, chief economist at LaSalle Bank.

"What a city is speculating on is that the Olympics will raise its profile to the point, through increased tourism and convention business, that it pays for itself," he said. "Essentially, it's a major marketing investment a city hopes will pay off in the long run. And that's hard to measure."

In the coming months, the city will be analyzing whether a bid makes economic sense.

In the column of positives, said mayoral press aide Kawada, would be "thousands of new jobs and new infrastructure. It would benefit the city long after the games."

----------

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
At least he's finally serious about getting the olympics here. I've been eying 2016 for years!

(PS: THe olympics would probably pay for the stadium just by itself)

If Cuba isn't the World baseball classic, we can kiss the olympics goodbye for decades.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
I really dont think a 2nd NFL team would do too well here..... This is such a Bears city that there is no way they would get enough fan support for a 2nd team..... although I guess if they win the people will come anyways.

I agree 100%. i just wish this all would have come about around 6 years ago. If they want to build a domed stadium, then soldier field is such a waist! THey should have built "McDome" but we need to play in Bear weather!!!

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:46 AM)
I agree 100%. i just wish this all would have come about around 6 years ago. If they want to build a domed stadium, then soldier field is such a waist! THey should have built "McDome" but we need to play in Bear weather!!!

Technically I think you mean Soldier Field is a "Waste", not the thing around your hips.

I dunno about building a domed football stadium in Chicago, seeing teams come in there and put up with the weather is always one of the more fun aspects of December/January. If you wanted a team in a domed stadium, maybe it should be a 2nd team, the Bears should just be outside. It just works.

Well, lets put it in Cubs/Sox perspective. They are 2 different teams with 2 different stadiums. 1 is relatively new, 1 is old and s***ty. There are DEFINITLEY 2 sets of fans. Having an inter-city football game would benefit IMO. It would be hard, as it would be a new team, to NOT be a fan of both though.....unless of course it was an existing franchise like the Dolphins or Vikings. I like the idea of the stadium for the Olympics but a 2nd team....I dunno.

Can anyone explain to me why it would cost almost a BILLION dollars to build? Hell, Soldier Field was $600 million. The RETRACABLE ROOF stadium being build for the Arizona Cardinals only cost $400 million and it has a capacity of 63,000. That's $6349.21 per seat. A one billion dollar seat 80,000 seat NON-retracable roof stadium would be 12,500 per seat. That's almost TWICE the cost per seat. Seems a little odd.

The only good things coming from a 2nd football team is that I would probally be able to grab some tix.. With the wait list of the bears, its almost impossable to grab them. Also I hate the cold, so this is ideal for myself to watch a game.

I like the idea of having the Super Bowl here, I feel that Chicago would be perfect town for it.. We are a Mini- New Orleans, we love to party. Just think of how many bars/Clubs there are here, revenue would more than pay for the stadium built.. Daley looking that the bottom line, and its a smart move to make.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
The only good things coming from a 2nd football team is that I would probally be able to grab some tix.. With the wait list of the bears, its almost impossable to grab them. Also I hate the cold, so this is ideal for myself to watch a game.

I like the idea of having the Super Bowl here, I feel that Chicago would be perfect town for it.. We are a Mini- New Orleans, we love to party. Just think of how many bars/Clubs there are here, revenue would more than pay for the stadium built.. Daley looking that the bottom line, and its a smart move to make.

Mini-New Orleans? You might want to re-think that.

Mini-New Orleans? You might want to re-think that.

Have you ever been to New Orleans? I meant as a party town.. They can party,down on Bourbon ST is insane, or was. I was there for Mari Gras in 2000, the whole town shuts down for a about a week. I also was there for a regualr weekend..They had a frozen daquire bar in the mall, you can drink on the streets like Vegas. Hell they have/had a drink called the Hand Grenade. Made with PGA. They know how to party, plus the food there is just amazing as well. I love New Orleans the city, and I hope when they rebuild it they still keep the old time theme down there.

Edited by AnthraxFan93

A second team in Chicago is such a waste. I hate the NFL and their corporate compromise to play the Super Bowl in warm weathered places. I understand the logic and truly feel the NFL is very business savvy but this is why I can't stand the league. I wish that Championships were played in places like Green Bay, the Meadowlands, Heinz Field, but it seems like it would be just not enough of a money draw. So instead, we get boring super bowls like Pats vs Carolina and the most exciting thing is a "wardrobe malfunction" Man, I couldn't stand the Bucs vs Raiders---3 music shows? That Super Bowl took I think 4 hours to finish, plus it was painful to watch since the Bucs just killed the Raiders. Not that I'm a Raiders fan or anything.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
HOLY CRAP! Some guy just called the Score in regards to the stadium idea and said that apperently Schaumburg is under the table looking to maybe get an NFL team. Maybe in a stadium near the convention center.

Bernstein said he hasn't heard that, but WOW! What an interesting idea.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Have you ever been to New Orleans? I meant as a party town.. They can party,down on Bourbon ST is insane, or was. I was there for Mari Gras in 2000, the whole town shuts down for a about a week. I also was there for a regualr weekend..They had a frozen daquire bar in the mall, you can drink on the streets like Vegas.  Hell they have/had a drink called the Hand Grenade. Made with PGA. They know how to party, plus the food there is just amazing as well.  I love New Orleans the city, and I hope when they rebuild it they still keep the old time theme down there.

You can drink on the street in Key West.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
HOLY CRAP! Some guy just called the Score in regards to the stadium idea and said that apperently Schaumburg is under the table looking to maybe get an NFL team. Maybe in a stadium near the convention center.

Bernstein said he hasn't heard that, but WOW! What an interesting idea.

It would never work. The bears are so rooted in this town. The cubs and sox have survived this long because they are so old. PLus the most popular sports team in this town is the bears, and it will always be that way.