1st Time in history White Sox & Bears

When the Bears clinch the Division on Christmas, it will mark the 1st time EVER that the Bears and White Sox both won their Divisions in the same year. Hopefully the Bears can go all the way and add a Super Bowl title to the White Sox World Series title.

The funny thing is that both of these teams got no respect for most of the year. I think they both were predicted to finish last or near last in their respective Divisions.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well in that case... lets just hand the colts the lamardi trophy... they havent had a history of failing to win the big game or anything...

I too agree the colts are the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but to say the Bears have no chance of winning it... is short sighted at best.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
well in that case... lets just hand the colts the lamardi trophy... they havent had a history of failing to win the big game or anything...

I too agree the colts are the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but to say the Bears have no chance of winning it... is short sighted at best.

That's exactly right. To be honest, I like the bears chances to reach the Superbowl over Indys chances. Cinci, NE and Pit are all MAJOR threats to Indy. I still say Indy is the favorite in the AFC . But the bears have an easier road.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
That's exactly right.  To be honest, I like the bears chances to reach the Superbowl over Indys chances.  Cinci, NE  and Pit are all MAJOR threats to Indy. I still say Indy is the favorite in the AFC . But the bears have an easier road.

Cincy - too young. They even had a chance to beat the Colts, but their defense is not yet up to par with their offense.

Pit - Look very weak. Roth is hurt. They might win a WC game, but nothing more.

NE - Making the playoffs because of playing in their division. They're weak this year.

The only team worth watching in the AFC other than the Colts is Cincy just because of their stars and the fact that they have the best chance to knock off Indy.

The NFC is much better to watch simply because everyone literally does have a chance. Seattle is strongest by record, but you honestly can't call who's going to win the NFC. There's no team that's broke away.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)

Just remember this one thing about a Colts/Bears matchup:

Almost every time that a #1 ranked defense has met a #1 ranked offense in the Super Bowl...the #1 ranked defense has won. The latest example was Tampa vs. Oakland.

Not a guarantee...but don't count out teams based solely on defense in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
I love how people can just say this and not have to back it up with anything.

^

Quite of bit of comedic value to this thread so far. The Bears are DEFINITELY a championship contender. Like WHarris1 said, defense DOES win championships and with the #1 ranked D, I feel confident.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
I love how people can just say this and not have to back it up with anything.

I love how people are drinking the kool aid around here.

They do not have enough offense to win. Defense wins championships, sure, but you have to score points to get to the championships. And furthermore, they play in a pretty weak division. And even more furthermore, when someone plays smashmouth football against them, they become Cubs, not Bears.

Don't get me wrong, they are much improved over last year. But they are NOT a Super Bowl winning team, IMO.

Last time I checked, the playoffs are a lot more smashmouth. That's why I have a hard time thinking Indianapolis will win. I admit, I'm a Colts fan, but I'm not sure they have the toughness to win it all, either. Personally, I like Seattle right now. But so many things can change, depending on matchups and what not in the playoffs. The Bears are decent, but not championship calibur, yet.

Is that a little better substance, sir Kalapse? :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
^

Quite of bit of comedic value to this thread so far. The Bears are DEFINITELY a championship contender. Like WHarris1 said, defense DOES win championships and with the #1 ranked D, I feel confident.

And you're Captain f***ing King of "subtance". GMAFB.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
And you're Captain f***ing King of "subtance".  GMAFB.

Uuum, no. I don't make definitive statements and not at least elaborate on them a little.

Oh, and the Colts are not a championship team.

Now find the irony.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
I love how people are drinking the kool aid around here.

They do not have enough offense to win.  Defense wins championships, sure, but you have to score points to get to the championships.  And furthermore, they play in a pretty weak division.  And even more furthermore, when someone plays smashmouth football against them, they become Cubs, not Bears.

Don't get me wrong, they are much improved over last year.  But they are NOT a Super Bowl winning team, IMO.

Last time I checked, the playoffs are a lot more smashmouth.  That's why I have a hard time thinking Indianapolis will win.  I admit, I'm a Colts fan, but I'm not sure they have the toughness to win it all, either.  Personally, I like Seattle right now.  But so many things can change, depending on matchups and what not in the playoffs.  The Bears are decent, but not championship calibur, yet.

Is that a little better substance, sir Kalapse?  :lol:

That's an aweful lot of words I'll give you that.

For the first 13.5 games of the season the Bears had one of the s***tiest offenses I have seen in my lifetime. We had the worst QB in the NFL and our recievers couldn't get open to save their lives.

The one good thing the Bears had going for them on the Offensive side of the ball was the run game. Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson gave this time the only bit of offense this team had.

Now for the utra Kool-Aide sounding, flip of the coin, question mark filled part of my post. Rex Grossman is the QB that this offense has been waiting for, he's one of the reasons Moose caim to Chicago. Grossman could give this team what it needs to make it a solid contender in the playoffs as opposed to the one and done team I've seen for first 13.5 games of the season.

Rex is the far superior QB to Orton whom we had to indure for most of the year, if he can play the way I, a lot of Bears fans, football fans and Bears management feel he can play we could finish out these two final games against s*** teams with a legit passing attack and take that into the playoffs.

The defense needs to keep up thier ultra fast paced gameplay and not have s***-tackleing Sundays like they did against the Steelers. I'm not worried about them especially since Brown and Harris will be back to finish off the year as will Hunter, so they'll be at full strength going into the playoffs.

The Bears defense is Superbowl caliber, the offense on the other hand is just a giant IF. The Bears need Rex to somehow avoid injury and play up to his talent along with Thomas Jones continuing his excellent production and this team could do something in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
That's an aweful lot of words I'll give you that.

For the first 13.5 games of the season the Bears had one of the s***tiest offenses I have seen in my lifetime. We had the worst QB in the NFL and our recievers couldn't get open to save their lives.

The one good thing the Bears had going for them on the Offensive side of the ball was the run game. Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson gave this time the only bit of offense this team had.

Now for the utra Kool-Aide sounding, flip of the coin, question mark filled part of my post.  Rex Grossman is the QB that this offense has been waiting for, he's one of the reasons Moose caim to Chicago. Grossman could give this team what it needs to make it a solid contender in the playoffs as opposed to the one and done team I've seen for first 13.5 games of the season.

Rex is the far superior QB to Orton whom we had to indure for most of the year, if he can play the way I, a lot of Bears fans, football fans and Bears management feel he can play we could finish out these two final games against s*** teams with a legit passing attack and take that into the playoffs.

The defense needs to keep up thier ultra fast paced gameplay and not have s***-tackleing Sundays like they did against the Steelers. I'm not worried about them especially since Brown and Harris will be back to finish off the year as will Hunter, so they'll be at full strength going into the playoffs.

The Bears defense is Superbowl caliber, the offense on the other hand is just a giant IF. The Bears need Rex to somehow avoid injury and play up to his talent along with Thomas Jones continuing his excellent production and this team could do something in the playoffs.

Do you know the injury updates on Harris and Benson???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Do you know the injury updates on Harris and Benson???

Harris said yesterday that he'll play vs the Packers.

Benson on the other hand I'd assume will be held out, most likely for the rest of the regular season. Last I saw he was doubtful for Sunday.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Harris said yesterday that he'll play vs the Packers.

Benson on the other hand I'd assume will be held out, most likely for the rest of the regular season. Last I saw he was doubtful for Sunday.

I thought CSN had Benson listed as probable the other day. But I agree, let him get back to full strength over the regular season and have him set for the playoffs. AP was really a surprise to me this season. All the RB's have shown that they can run with the rock.

And I am glad Harris will be back. McGowan and Green have done above what we expected while Brown and Harris were gone. I really like the depth the Bears have.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I thought CSN had Benson listed as probable the other day. But I agree, let him get back to full strength over the regular season and have him set for the playoffs. AP was really a surprise to me this season. All the RB's have shown that they can run with the rock.

And I am glad Harris will be back. McGowan and Green have done above what we expected while Brown and Harris were gone. I really like the depth the Bears have.

It looks like Benson is listed as Questionable for Sunday and he did practice yesterday. I just highly doubt that they'll send him out there with 2 games to go and risk reinjury to his knee.