Rumor: 4-Way Garland Trade

RME JICO

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
i personally like this deal, bc bedard is a young lefty who we could use out of the bullpen this year, and could start next year.  you throw in a prospect and im sold.  we could lock up bedard for years.

He is the same age as Garland, but I believe has higher upside.  Bedard has been in the league less than Garland, so the White Sox would have more leverage contract wise for a few more years... and he sure won't cost 10 mil a season.

Yeah, if you throw in a top prospect from one of the other teams then it becomes more reasonable; but Garland straight up for Bedard would be a loss.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I just keep coming back to this...in 2006-2007, we have Anderson, Dye, Podsednik, Owens, Borchard, and Sweeney all under our control.  Dye is the most expensive of them, and he's seriously undervalued based on his performance last year.  All of them are either ML ready or are nearly so (Sweeney being the only one who may need 2 years).  That's 6 outfielders.  We probably have room for 4 at any time, with 1 as a backup.  Borchard may be lost if he doesn't make the team, but that still leaves us 5 guys.

I just really dislike the idea of adding another outfielder when that's a position that we already have too many people at.  We still have people who we need to move out of the way to allow the youth we do have to come in.

Sween needs to live up to his hype one of this years (maybe he can finally be fully healthy and put on a true display this year, lord knows the talent is there). And as far as Owens is concerned, I'm still left wanting to see more. He's not good enough to play CF (defensively) although he could slide into LF. However, he's gonna have to catch on as a 4th outfielder first, imo. I think a year in Charlotte will do him some good anyway.

He is a really good athlete though, however I'd like to see him run more and work on that part of his game.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
i personally like this deal, bc bedard is a young lefty who we could use out of the bullpen this year, and could start next year.  you throw in a prospect and im sold.  we could lock up bedard for years.

He is the same age as Garland, but I believe has higher upside.  Bedard has been in the league less than Garland, so the White Sox would have more leverage contract wise for a few more years... and he sure won't cost 10 mil a season.

Ya right. Garland is a lot better than Bedard. Garland has been a workhorse since coming up to the majors and has finally turned the corner. Bedard has an injury riddled past and has never shown any signs of durability. He'd be a great 4 or 5 starter on most teams (when healthy) but I never see him climbing the ranks to a #1 or #2 starter. I think Garland would be a poor teams #1 and a good teams #2 (I'm a big Garland fan though).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Maybe the Sox should trade Garland to Seattle and get Jeremy Reed back and some bullpen help.

not trying to be disagreeable here, just a genuine question. Wasn't it reported that the M's wanted Anderson but the Sox had Anderson rated higher than Reed and wanted to clear the way for Anderson to play?

Let me say one thing. There is no freaking way the Cubs would knowingly make a deal where we got Prior.

They along with anyone with half a baseball brain knows that if Prior is healthy than the Sox would have gotten themselves a perennial Cy Young award candidate and regardless of how Tejada is doing the Sox would be rubbing that into Cubs fans faces because a Cy Young pitcher is greater than Miguel Tejada.

I'm sorry, Cubs should get smart and can Dusty "I kill pitchers for a living" Baker. That would be the best move the team could make to bolster its staff.

Just the sheer possibility of Prior staying healthy and turning into one of the best pitcher in baseball for the next 5-10 years is reason enough not to make any deal which would send him to the Sox.

By the way, yes, I like Jesus Prior a whole lot. I think he's a stud and I am not one of those people that thinks he's going to be hurt the rest of his career. I tend to think most of his injuries have been fluke injuries. Obviously you have to be careful with him, but you got to realize that Baker drove him worse than a rental car.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
:huh:

I don't like the idea of getting pitchers with a.) health problems, b.) Cubs jerseys. I just don't like the guy in general. He was sure dominant in 2003 and he's fun to watch pitch (and I know how cheap he is), but I just don't want him anywhere near my team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm sorry, Cubs should get smart and can Dusty  "I kill pitchers for a living" Baker. That would be the best move the team could make to bolster its staff. 

I've really gotten the impression that Dusty Baker's going to help the Cubs make that decision easy and move on somewhere else next season, which would probably be best for everyone involved.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Its so funny to see how Hendry the genius is scrambling to get players in a cub uniform. After the Furcal debacle, he has not made any good deal ie. Jacque Jones.

he traded for pierre, that was a good move.... u cant say that is a bad move. everyone on this board wanted pierre it seemed like just a few weeks back.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
he traded for pierre, that was a good move.... u cant say that is a bad move. everyone on this board wanted pierre it seemed like just a few weeks back.

I'd say most people on the board, including myself wanted nothing to do with Juan Pierre.

This whole 4 way trade proposal is BS. Bedard is solid, however why would the O's want Garland for 1 year and Ramerez as well when they know how screwed up in the head Manny is and they know Garland will walk after 1 season? IMO the O's would get screwed the most out of this deal. Manny would end up being un-happy and demand another trade, while Garland will pitch the '06 season in Baltamore and head west via free agency.

Of course this deal makes sense for both the Cubs and Red Sox, but than again this was a Boston writer who speculated this deal.

For the White Sox- this deal makes a lot of sense. Bedard gives us another reliable lefty out of our pen. He can spot start when neccessary and will be under our control contractually for the next 2-3 years (KW loves that). If we can get a solid pitching prospect in this deal like Felix Pie, I'm all for it.

But like I said before this deal makes no sense for the O's.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
might that have anything to do with already having Podsednik, thus having no need for Pierre?

That had a good amount to do with it. But mainly becase I don't feel he'd bring much to the team at the amount it would cost to bring him in. Stolen bases are overrated in general and especially in Pierre's situation seein how he's stealing about 70-75% of his bases each year which is pathetic.

His lack of an arm in center field also turns me off to him, in general I just didn't feel he'd be a good fit for our team.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
This whole 4 way trade proposal is BS. Bedard is solid, however why would the O's want Garland for 1 year and Ramerez as well when they know how screwed up in the head Manny is and they know Garland will walk after 1 season? IMO the O's would get screwed the most out of this deal. Manny would end up being un-happy and demand another trade, while Garland will pitch the '06 season in Baltamore and head west via free agency.

Of course this deal makes sense for both the Cubs and Red Sox, but than again this was a Boston writer who speculated this deal.

For the White Sox- this deal makes a lot of sense. Bedard gives us another reliable lefty out of our pen. He can spot start when neccessary and will be under our control contractually for the next 2-3 years (KW loves that). If we can get a solid pitching prospect in this deal like Felix Pie, I'm all for it.

But like I said before this deal makes no sense for the O's.

Felix Pie isnt a pitcher :bang :bang

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
That would be good from that standpoint, we would have found our second lefty to the pen and move BMac into the 5th starters spot. But that could not be all that we get. The other teams would be getting studs and we would be getting shafted if bedard is the only player we recieve.

Bedard wouldn't be a bad player to pitck up, but add a major prospect to that trade to get the Sox interested.

Lets add the Dodgers to the mix too.

Baltimore can get Manny, Casey Rogowski and Dustin Hermanson; Boston can get Garland, Corey Patterson and Eric Bedard; the Cubs can get Tejada and Odalis Perez; the Sox can get Billingsley, Broxton, Miller and Jonathan Papelbon and the Dodgers can get Prior, Penn and, hell, I dunno, Joe Borchard.

Edited by kdhargo