Bullpen?

TheBigHurt

I've been trying to go off memory, and I realize the bullpen needs arms, but I just realized how much they need some. If I am not mistaken, aren't there only 4 arms in the pen right now? Those 4 being Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, and Jenks? And to be honest, with Jenks in the mix, what exactly is Hermy's role going to be? And as far as future bullpen arms go, who would be a real good fit? And should they try to get another lefty? Just wondering people's thoughts (or known facts) on this.

Edited by TheBigHurt

We need probably 2 arms, 1 righty, 1 lefty. We have 2 young arms other than BMac, (who WILL be in the starting rotation to start next year or Ozzie and KW will be punished ruthlessly) who might be able to chip in, and those are Sean Tracy and Jeff Bajenaru. Neither one of them has come out and dominated big league hitting, so they should both be considered major question marks.

It also seems very clear that Ozzie loves having 2 lefties in the Bullpen, and since I believe both of those guys are righties...that means we will need to find a lefty relief pitcher through a trade. KW alleged when Marte was moved that we at least had some plans for a young lefty from somewhere, but we've really not heard much since.

Right now, I think it will probably all depend on Garland. He's our biggest trading chip right now, and until we know where JG is going to end up, we won't know what our bullpen is goign to look like next year.

Either way, I think we're better off to start this season with Bobby at the back end of our bullpen and those other 3 guys you mention than we were last year with Shingo at the back of our bullpen. We just need to find someone else to pitch a few innings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Either way, I think we're better off to start this season with Bobby at the back end of our bullpen and those other 3 guys you mention than we were last year with Shingo at the back of our bullpen.  We just need to find someone else to pitch a few innings.

I still view hermanson as a question mark for next season. Even if he can pitch for us i think it is unrealistic to expect the same production from him (would hope so). While i know nearly everyone loves jenks i honestly believe he will not be the best closer on this team when it is said and done ( years from now). I think cotts will be the one to have a much longer and successful career.

QUOTE(mike12345 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
We dont need another great arm, but we do need someone decent. Our pen doesnt need to be that good with us having 5 starters capable of throwing 200+ innings.

Teams with great bullpens go deep into the playoffs ( in most cases). Starting pitchers on every team go into a bad streak for a week or two. Bad starting pitching + mediocore relievers = trouble.

I still view hermanson as a question mark for next season. Even if he can pitch for us i think it is unrealistic to expect the same production from him (would hope so). While i know nearly everyone loves jenks i honestly believe he will not be the best closer on this team when it is said and done ( years from now). I think cotts will be the one to have a much longer and successful career.

The only way I could see that happening is if Jenks arm falls off or if he loses his control, which could happen I guess.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 03:02 AM)
The only way I could see that happening is if Jenks arm falls off or if he loses his control, which could happen I guess.

I am saying in future years when cotts gets the oppurtunity. He clearly won't get a chance to this year unless jenks gets injured or implodes.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
I love what Bobby did near the end but I don't trust he'll be the reliable closer all year, do you?

I think Jenks is the real deal. If he were a fluke, I think you would've seen it in the playoffs. Outside of game 2 against the Astros, and it wasn't even all his fault mind you, he was money in the post-season. The only thing that can hold back Jenks is Jenks.

QUOTE(Sox89 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
I think that Cotts goes the other direction and become a Starting Pitcher.  I wonder if this is part of the plan if the Sox lose some of their starting pitchers to free agency.

I really, really doubt that. He had WAY too much success as a setup man. Lefty setup guys that do funky stuff like allow one home run a year while at the same time are just nasty are hard to find.

If he is ever starting again, we're in deep trouble. He's a starter at heart, but he's way too good at what he does now. I don't really see it long-term, either.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
you=right

but

jenks=closer

Well, the specific point would be this...our closer destroys lefties, we have a righty setup guy who can get out lefties in Cliffy, and 1 other Lefty. That's a pretty good way to go into the 8th inning...if Jenks continues devastating lefties like he did last year, it may well reduce some of the need for another lefty reliever.

That said, we still need another relief pitcher from somewhere.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Well, the specific point would be this...our closer destroys lefties, we have a righty setup guy who can get out lefties in Cliffy, and 1 other Lefty.  That's a pretty good way to go into the 8th inning...if Jenks continues devastating lefties like he did last year, it may well reduce some of the need for another lefty reliever.

That said, we still need another relief pitcher from somewhere.

YUP

The you need a lefty to get lefties out thing is tired. I think we need one more bullpen arm, use BMAC in the long relief/swingman role, and we are done.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
I don't see any reason we can't give one of the kids in the minors a shot at that last bullpen spot.  If no one steps up, then KW can go out and get a solid pen guy in for the second half. or sooner.

Munoz is probably going to be that guy, if the Sox decide to let him loose in the bullpen again. Don't forget in the brief time he was pitching in September in 2004, he had some pretty good numbers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
Munoz is probably going to be that guy, if the Sox decide to let him loose in the bullpen again. Don't forget in the brief time he was pitching in September in 2004, he had some pretty good numbers.

It could be him. I believe Baj and Bull will get their shots as well.