Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I got to see a little bit of Aldridge today, but is he supposed to be the top pick this year?  Anyone that follows him more (I really don't follow the big 12 much) tell us a little more about him?  I'm assuming he'd be a hell of a pick for the Bulls, but maybe I'm wrong?

The kid is a stud in the making in my opinion. He's seems to be pretty close to Amare Stoudemire in the athleticism department (size is also pretty close, listed at 6'10" 240), although he doesn't seem to have a go to post move. He shoots a decent looking turnaround jumper once in a while, but it still needs work. He gets most of his points on dunks and rebounds, although so does Amare. He'd be really dangerous on a running team. He does some of his work on the blocks, although they seem to like using Tucker for that more. As for his defense, he looks like he'd be a solid help defender, but I'm not 100% sure that he can guard the top guys 1 on 1. It's hard to say since there isn't really anyone that compares with him in college.

He's definitely one of the more gifted college players I've seen in the post though. He's averaging 16.4 points, 9.4 boards, 1.8 steals, and 2.1 blocks. He could be scoring a bit more if they had a solid pass-first PG instead of the two hybrids Gibson and Paulino (He's only getting about 10 shots a game, shooting almost 62%). He'd probably be the #1 pick if he came out. That'd be huge if the Bulls can get him. Putting him next to Chandler would give us a ton of athleticism.

Unless we get lucky in the lottery, we probably wouldn't have a shot at him however. He's really the only major post player that looks like he can provide immediate help. There are a couple of athletic guys like C.J. Giles, Jermareo Davidson, and Al Horford, but they are all pretty raw, and Horford probably isn't a center. If we could get him with one pick and trade the other one and Gordon for Pierce, I think we'd be a pretty major threat.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Good deal.  At least we have someone else of value in the lineup now.  The whole sitting out thing didn't make things better.

I think this is a good deal for both teams. Peja's star in Sacramento had clearly fallen over the last couple years. However, I think he's a good fit for you guys. It's almost like getting a young Reggie Miller. Without the supreme clutchness.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
I think this is a good deal for both teams.  Peja's star in Sacramento had clearly fallen over the last couple years.  However,  I think he's a good fit for you guys.  It's almost like getting a young Reggie Miller.  Without the supreme clutchness.

I think a big part of it was Peja being a FA too. The Pacers are hurting w/ cap issues, this gives them some more room to work with after the year.

I still don't think we're going to come close to winning it this year. Artest gets to be the franchise's goat for us in that sense again.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I think a big part of it was Peja being a FA too.  The Pacers are hurting w/ cap issues, this gives them some more room to work with after the year.

I still don't think we're going to come close to winning it this year.  Artest gets to be the franchise's goat for us in that sense again.

Well, if not for the Pistons, I think yall would have a pretty good chance.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I think a big part of it was Peja being a FA too.  The Pacers are hurting w/ cap issues, this gives them some more room to work with after the year.

I still don't think we're going to come close to winning it this year.  Artest gets to be the franchise's goat for us in that sense again.

Who would they sign in the summer? There's no one out there. Once Croshere's contract is off the books, they'll be fine once again.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Who would they sign in the summer? There's no one out there. Once Croshere's contract is off the books, they'll be fine once again.

I'm just saying the Artest deal is in essence a salary dump. The Pacers probably wouldn't look to get anyone big during the summer, until they're cap situation is righted.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
Dbaho,  have you heard anything about a Darko for Cato trade?

Yeah I have, it's been coming from our end, and I'd do it in a second. I don't think Joe Dumars is that stupid though, even though he'd prob make us take Carlos Arroyo in a deal as well.

Dooling and Cato for Milicic and Arroyo has also been mentioned.

I can dream of a Darko / Dwight Frontline. :pray

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Yeah I have, it's been coming from our end, and I'd do it in a second. I don't think Joe Dumars is that stupid though, even though he'd prob make us take Carlos Arroyo in a deal as well.

Dooling and Cato for Milicic and Arroyo has also been mentioned.

I can dream of a Darko / Dwight Frontline.  :pray

Thanks. I think Dumars would be foolish to give up on Darko so quickly.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Thanks.  I think Dumars would be foolish to give up on Darko so quickly.

Well it's been mooted cos Cato has a 9M expiring contract, and they could need all the caproom they can get to re-sign Ben Wallace.

I don't know right now, with their current contracts, if they re-signed Ben to the max, whether or not they would have to pay luxury tax.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Thanks.  I think Dumars would be foolish to give up on Darko so quickly.

The question is...will Darko have any real playing time before he hits the restricted FA market? If he does, or only plays for 1 season...will Detroit be in a position to outbid other teams that might make a run at him for speculation? And would he even consider resigning there if he became an unrestricted FA, considering that they're not playing him anyway.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
LMAO what a dick.  Artest has no desire to go to Sacramento.  :lolhitting

Are you s***ting me? This is bulls***, I want him playing cause my fantasy team vastly needs him. I guess I was the idiot who thought I was getting a steal when I drafted him.

Deal off, I don't blame Ron for not wanting to go there.

Sacramento sucks this year and they're not getting any better.

As far as the Pacers getting Peja, that was a dumb move for them. He is often hurt and IMO is on the downside of his career.

Too bad the Lakers won't give up Bynum, Artest could have been a Laker.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)

As far as the Pacers getting Peja, that was a dumb move for them.  He is often hurt and IMO is on the downside of his career.

Too bad the Lakers won't give up Bynum, Artest could have been a Laker.

Artest is basically living in LA IIRC (well at least right now). He's at most of the games and he's pretty much told everyone he'll be in LA. My guess is its just a matter of the Pacers getting antsy and doing it without Bynum.

I wouldn't give up Bynum either. He's a pretty good kid and has great size and athletisism. Obviously he's a project, but he looks like a real good pick. I think you'll see Odom or something along those lines for Artest (maybe a 3rd team involved) cause I doubt the Pacers want Odom.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)

As far as the Pacers getting Peja, that was a dumb move for them.  He is often hurt and IMO is on the downside of his career.

I do. He's a f***ing idiot who has not earned the right to pick and choose where he should play.

And Sacto would have been much-improved by artest's playing abilities...

It seems that Peja was probably the best they were gonna do. You can't win a trade when everyone knows you're dying to trade the guy.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
I do.  He's a f***ing idiot who has not earned the right to pick and choose where he should play. 

And Sacto would have been much-improved by artest's playing abilities...

It seems that Peja was probably the best they were gonna do.  You can't win a trade when everyone knows you're dying to trade the guy.

I just saw Greg Anthony on ESPN and he said that Artest never said he wouldn't report, but rather that he didn't want to go their but in the end he'd play for them.

Indiana is threatening to suspend him for the rest of the season without pay if he doesn't accept a deal. Sac and Artest haven't even talked. I think there is a good possibility this deal still goes down.

How would Ron Artest look in a Bulls uni? He is one of the top ten players in the league when he plays. He is by far the best guard defender. I know he would come back, but he kind of has the TO syndrome where he ruins teams. But, no doubt, that type of talent is what the Bulls need. I would entertain Gordon and the latter first round pick.