Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Artest is basically living in LA IIRC (well at least right now).  He's at most of the games and he's pretty much told everyone he'll be in LA.  My guess is its just a matter of the Pacers getting antsy and doing it without Bynum.

I wouldn't give up Bynum either.  He's a pretty good kid and has great size and athletisism.  Obviously he's a project, but he looks like a real good pick.  I think you'll see Odom or something along those lines for Artest (maybe a 3rd team involved) cause I doubt the Pacers want Odom.

The Lakers won't trade Odom as part of a deal for Artest. If Artest comes in and f***s around they are screwed and have no other players besides Kobe.

He's either bound for LA or Golden State IMO.

Golden State I think would package Pietrus and Dunleavy in a deal for Artest.

I'm not sure who the Lakers would give, but I just can't see Odom being involved unless the Lakers were getting other players besides Artest back in return.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Now that the trade is off, Peja is PO'd.  Pax could try and trade for him.  Ben Gordon would likely go, but I think it may be risky considering Peja has injury problems and declining.

Peja is an FA next year if I recall correctly. I would not trade Gordon for someone who wasn't signed for a few years. Paul Pierce is still the guy I think the Bulls could get using Gordon, probably won't happen but he would look real nice with the Bulls.

As far as Artest goes, I don't want any part of Artest on a young team. Also, I'm skeptical that Artest could get along with Skiles.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
The Lakers won't trade Odom as part of a deal for Artest.  If Artest comes in and f***s around they are screwed and have no other players besides Kobe.

I'm not sure who the Lakers would give, but I just can't see Odom being involved unless the Lakers were getting other players besides Artest back in return.

So the pacers who want an expiring contract would trade for dunleavy and his albatross contract? I seriously doubt anything like that would happen. I still doubt anything with maggette ever happens. The clippers for one do not really need him and for two he is sane. Makes no sense why they would take that risk... well they are the clippers afterall.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
The Lakers won't trade Odom as part of a deal for Artest.  If Artest comes in and f***s around they are screwed and have no other players besides Kobe.

That was originally the case, but Kobe wants Odom out and to be honest I don't blame him. Odom doesn't have any work ethic and Kobe won't stand for that. Kobe may be a prick but he's the hardest worker in the league and he's not going to sit around and watch a teammate of his play lazy and thats what Odom does.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
That was originally the case, but Kobe wants Odom out and to be honest I don't blame him.  Odom doesn't have any work ethic and Kobe won't stand for that.  Kobe may be a prick but he's the hardest worker in the league and he's not going to sit around and watch a teammate of his play lazy and thats what Odom does.

I will grant you that Odom has looked lazy recently, but honestly I think it is beceause the two of them just do not get along. Odom looks more and more frusturated as the season has gone on by hi lack of touches. IMO Odom is the only player on the Lakers that really can make in impact in games aside from Kobe. As such, I could see an Odom for Artest trade happening at some point, assuming the Pacers would take Odom.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
I will grant you that Odom has looked lazy recently, but honestly I think it is beceause the two of them just do not get along.  Odom looks more and more frusturated as the season has gone on by hi lack of touches.  IMO Odom is the only player on the Lakers that really can make in impact in games aside from Kobe.  As such, I could see an Odom for Artest trade happening at some point, assuming the Pacers would take Odom.

Look at there record when Odom takes a lot of shots (I think its 15 or more). They haven't won one of those games.

Odom is a douche. He's been it everywhere he was with the exception of 1 year in Miami. The reason he was cool in Miami was because he knew he was on real thin ice after being caught smoking pot a few too many times.

I hate Kobe but at least Kobe works his ass off (hardest worker in the league) and leaves it all on the court. The fact that the two of them don't get along is because Kobe expects his teammates to work hard and give it there all. If they don't, might as well kick him out of town.

At least with Artest there (if they made the Croshere/Artest for Odom deal) they'd have a guy that works very hard and gives it his all. Plus Kobe and Phil would hopefully be able to give him a decent support network.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Look at there record when Odom takes a lot of shots (I think its 15 or more).  They haven't won one of those games. 

Odom is a douche.  He's been it everywhere he was with the exception of 1 year in Miami.  The reason he was cool in Miami was because he knew he was on real thin ice after being caught smoking pot a few too many times. 

I hate Kobe but at least Kobe works his ass off (hardest worker in the league) and leaves it all on the court.  The fact that the two of them don't get along is because Kobe expects his teammates to work hard and give it there all.  If they don't, might as well kick him out of town. 

At least with Artest there (if they made the Croshere/Artest for Odom deal) they'd have a guy that works very hard and gives it his all.  Plus Kobe and Phil would hopefully be able to give him a decent support network.

Oh, I agree completely that LA would be the best spot for Artest. Not only is Kobe the type of player that could keep Artest in line, but it seems like Artest actually wants to be there. In addition, I agree with you that Kobe is one of the hardest working players in the league.

As far as the Odom argument goes, I do agree that Odom's work ethic is questionable, but I really think the issue there is that Odom does not feel like he gets the ball enough and he is definitely pouting about it.

I also think it is clear watching Lakers games that a lot of his teammates do not get along with Kobe. Now, don't get me wrong, in my opinion Kobe is the best player in the NBA, I just think that he is part of the reason Odom is pouting right now. An Artest-Odom swap makes sense for both teams.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Oh, I agree completely that LA would be the best spot for Artest.  Not only is Kobe the type of player that could keep Artest in line, but it seems like Artest actually wants to be there.  In addition, I agree with you that Kobe is one of the hardest working players in the league.

As far as the Odom argument goes, I do agree that Odom's work ethic is questionable, but I really think the issue there is that Odom does not feel like he gets the ball enough and he is definitely pouting about it. 

I also think it is clear watching Lakers games that a lot of his teammates do not get along with Kobe.  Now, don't get me wrong, in my opinion Kobe is the best player in the NBA, I just think that he is part of the reason Odom is pouting right now.  An Artest-Odom swap makes sense for both teams.

The whole teammate angle is over-rated, imo. I can tell you for a fact that Sasha (one of my favorite players on the Lakers), Mihm (one of the few guys that always plays hard; too bad he's in foul trouble often) and Devean George all love the guy. George and Kobe are very good friends and Kobe loves Sasha's toughness.

Kobe isn't hated like most of you say. At times players get frustrated with him, but its because he expects a lot out of his mates (just like Jordan did).

Guys like Odom won't like him because Kobe demands that you work hard. Same for Kwame (although he doesn't have any problems with Kobe).

Kobe's a prick off the court but everything he does on the court is amazing. Case closed. But his wife is more of a prick.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
If the Knicks ever wanted a way to get rid of Isiah without coming out of it looking stupid for putting up with all of his dealings...They've got it.

Its probably crap, but who knows. Than again most of the time this stuff comes out I just assume its someone going for money. I assume this in all instances where someone tries suing a wealthy person/company.

So the Bulls had a good win tonight.

Those 7/8 spots are starting to get competitive b/w Philly, Washington, Chicago, Orlando and Boston.

I like our chances still of making it, IF, we can actually start winning a few games on the road, and the likes of Hill and Nelson can get back on the court, and stay there.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
So the Bulls had a good win tonight.

Those 7/8 spots are starting to get competitive b/w Philly, Washington, Chicago, Orlando and Boston.

I like our chances still of making it, IF, we can actually start winning a few games on the road, and the likes of Hill and Nelson can get back on the court, and stay there.

Look out. If Tyson keeps playing the way he is, the Bulls are by far the best of that group and should earn that final playoff spot. We have depth and defensive talent and the team is really gelling and moving the ball around.

This Bulls squad has quite a bit of talent and at least Noc and Duhon would be starting a lot of other places. Plus Songalia is a really really good reserve.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Look out.  If Tyson keeps playing the way he is, the Bulls are by far the best of that group and should earn that final playoff spot. We have depth and defensive talent and the team is really gelling and moving the ball around. 

This Bulls squad has quite a bit of talent and at least Noc and Duhon would be starting a lot of other places.  Plus Songalia is a really really good reserve.

If Tyson keeps playing the way he has the last two games, the bulls are in the playoffs, no problem.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
The Pacers can't catch a break. I'm sure they'll still make the playoffs though.

Right now they're sitting in the 7 spot, a game and a half ahead of the Wiz and 3 games ahead of the Bulls and Magic. Basically...they're losing O'Neal and gaining Peja, and I think that's a pretty obvious downgrade right now. If O'Neal is out for 8 weeks, they'll basically get him for 10-15 games at the end of the season. Some decent play from a few other teams and they may be too far out of it for him to help.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
Has anybody heard of a Chris Mihm for Nocioni trade?  That's the talk on multiple Laker boards.  Let me just say I will buy a gun and shoot John Paxson myself if he makes that deal.

I love Noc so I'd like to find a way for it to be someone else, but I'd be all for getting Chris Mihm. Him and Chandler would be a really nice looking front court.